Average marriageable age for LDS girls before:

18 years

After:

20.5 years

Men before:

21 years

After:

20 years.

Doesn't that net us a little bit higher average marrying age?

Women: +2.5 years
    Men: -1 year
    Net: 1.5 years older on average all around. Right?
    The average age of men going out is going to be 18.5. Remember, it's not 18; it's 18 + high school.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
      I think we are going to find that the sisters serving will eventually outnumber the elders.
      That's a bold prediction. I think absent the "expectation", with missions being as hard as they are - financially and physically/emotionally - many yw will still stay home. While the numbers of sisters will increase, they won't come close to matching the boys. Should be interesting.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
        The average age of men going out is going to be 18.5. Remember, it's not 18; it's 18 + high school.
        Right. For all the attention this is getting, it changes very little in regard to the boys.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

I think we are going to find that the sisters serving will eventually outnumber the elders.
          I don't think it's impossible. I think it will approach 1:1 within the next five to ten years.

I predict the missionary force doubles within five years.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            That's a bold prediction. I think absent the "expectation", with missions being as hard as they are - financially and physically/emotionally - many yw will still stay home. While the numbers of sisters will increase, they won't come close to matching the boys. Should be interesting.
            True. We all tend to focus on the definite college-bound kids, but I think this is a really, really good thing for young me that aren't going to college for whatever reason but are very committed to going on a mission.

What I have always hated seeing since I was finishing high school and now with kids in my ward is the young men who finish high school and then just are hanging out at home and killing time, doing some crappy job and waiting to turn 19. It's a nice thing for those young men to have the option to just go on the mission right away after high school.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              I don't think it's impossible. I think it will approach 1:1 within the next five to ten years.

I predict the missionary force doubles within five years.
              That may be part of the impetus for the change.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                I don't know . . . something about a laughing assassin.

My concern about encouraging more young women to serve would be that it would it would make the completion of the college degree less likely, but that's sheer speculation.
                I think more girls will graduate BYU now.

If they do one year out of high school, serve a mission and then go back to school, they will be 20.5-21 year old sophomores.

The boys their same age will also be sophomores.

The one complaint that TK1 had about BYU to start was that the only boys to date were 22-23 years old and she was 18. She was spooking to date and not marry.

So now they should all be finishing school at the same time. Graduation rates for women should go up.

The irony...TK1 is 20 and her husband is 25.

Comment

My daughter is seriously thinking about it now.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
                    Average marriageable age for LDS girls before:

18 years

After:

20.5 years

Men before:

21 years

After:

20 years.

Doesn't that net us a little bit higher average marrying age?

Women: +2.5 years
                    Men: -1 year
                    Net: 1.5 years older on average all around. Right?
                    My though was that now that all of these additional sister missionaries will have been exposed to even less mature young men in a somewhat grown up environment, seems like they'd return put off enough to buy them another 1-2 years of independence.
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

FB status of some YW I don't know commented on by one of the YM I used to be with

Originally posted by Random YW
                      I now only have a year and a half until I am able to go out and serve my God as a full-time missionary. The announcement yesterday was the most exciting thing I have ever heard. Nothing will stop me now from doing what the prophet has encouraged us to do and what i know now that my Lord has in store for me. Preach my gospel, here I come. =)
                      His comment
                      That's the only thing every girl I know is saying since yesterday, what is going on?!
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

A friend of mine has a son who's a Sr. in HS and a frosh daughter @ BYU. He is shell-shocked that he will likely have 2 missionaries next June, when he wasn't expecting another missionary for at least another year

Comment

ergo, polygamy.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

My daughter who is a Senior is now talking about the first year of college like guys always have. I can just go for a year and worry about the long term later, etc.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I am so pleased with this decision. I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                I am so pleased with this decision. I really like it.
                                Me too. Last time I was this excited about something announced in conference was the PEF.
                                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Working...
                                X