No announcement yet.

Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure tracting has been terminated world-wide, but I know it has in at least some missions, including ours. And yes, the FT missionaries in our area are always looking for things to do.

I need to push my GA friend harder on my proposal to revamp the service requirement among the Church's young adults. I'm still fine tuning it for my non-existent audience, and yeah, I know I've mentioned it before, but it's a great idea, dammit. Impose the equivalent of universal conscription on all young adults at 18. But give them a choice of proselyting, humanitarian service or military service. Establish the Church equivalent of the Peace Corps for the humanitarian element. There a lot of talented, retired business managers and leaders who would be happy to head this up in place of the usual serve-in-the-mission-home-and-check-missionary-apartments couples missions. Imagine if half of the current force of 80K missionaries chose humanitarian service. If they devote as much time to their work as proselyting missionaries (at least 50 hours a week), you'd have over 100 Million hours of humanitarian service being expended annually around the world. With nearly everyone (I think even most agnostic or nonbelieving youth would jump at the chance to join the humanitarian team) serving, the cultural stigma of not serving a mission would be great reduced. And despite substantially reducing the number of proselyting missionaries, I prophesy that the number of convert baptisms would increase, and the Church's rep for doing good throughout the world would be immeasurably enhanced.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I'm not sure tracting has been terminated world-wide, but I know it has in at least some missions, including ours. And yes, the FT missionaries in our area are always looking for things to do.

I need to push my GA friend harder on my proposal to revamp the service requirement among the Church's young adults. I'm still fine tuning it for my non-existent audience, and yeah, I know I've mentioned it before, but it's a great idea, dammit. Impose the equivalent of universal conscription on all young adults at 18. But give them a choice of proselyting, humanitarian service or military service. Establish the Church equivalent of the Peace Corps for the humanitarian element. There a lot of talented, retired business managers and leaders who would be happy to head this up in place of the usual serve-in-the-mission-home-and-check-missionary-apartments couples missions. Imagine if half of the current force of 80K missionaries chose humanitarian service. If they devote as much time to their work as proselyting missionaries (at least 50 hours a week), you'd have over 100 Million hours of humanitarian service being expended annually around the world. With nearly everyone (I think even most agnostic or nonbelieving youth would jump at the chance to join the humanitarian team) serving, the cultural stigma of not serving a mission would be great reduced. And despite substantially reducing the number of proselyting missionaries, I prophesy that the number of convert baptisms would increase, and the Church's rep for doing good throughout the world would be immeasurably enhanced.
      This would be a huge improvement over the current efforts. Great idea! May you live to see it implemented.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I'm not sure tracting has been terminated world-wide, but I know it has in at least some missions, including ours. And yes, the FT missionaries in our area are always looking for things to do.

Wow. This would be a great idea. If this were implemented, I would have a hard time not encouraging my kids to consider a humanitarian mission.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Even the military/mission hybrid is a good idea.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

That sounds like a good idea. A really good one. In deed. MormonCorps
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• We went from 4 companionships in our stake to at least one in every ward.

The Elders stop by my house at least once a week during the day because they know my wife is home. They don't come in, they ask for water and ask what new gadgets have come out. They have been told no iPads for at least a year, and no sitting in the ward house for the foreseeable future.

Poor kids.

Comment

• You know, I love the idea of offering a humanitarian mission option, but there are two things I see getting in the way of this either happening or being effective.

1. Dominant church culture (and by this I mean Utah culture) would inevitably begin to value one type of mission over the other, and I fear that those who chose the humanitarian mission would likely be seen as second class citizens who couldn't hack the rigor of a proselytizing mission, essentially a step above those who don't serve, but still not. Church records would likely note the type of mission served and it could possibly become even more of a screening test for leadership positions. (please don't argue with me that it's not, we all know better).

2. It will be difficult for leaders to rationalize/justify such a use of resources given the (scriptural?) mandate they feel they have to proselytize the world. All of the "no unhallowed hand shall stop . . . " rhetoric will be difficult to overcome, especially with our elderly apostles who still hang on to a dated worldview of what it means to find new revenue sources share the gospel. The question will be asked "How many MORE converts is this going to bring us? How many of those converts will be full tithe payers?"
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• PAC, I read your idea to my wife. She mentioned that the peace corps idea is ironic, since the original idea for the Corps was patterned after LDS missions. Or so she learned at the JFK museum many years ago.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Uchtdorf/PAC/LaVell 2014!

How do we donate to campaigns?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                      You know, I love the idea of offering a humanitarian mission option, but there are two things I see getting in the way of this either happening or being effective.

1.Dominant church culture (and by this I mean Utah culture) would inevitably begin to value one type of mission over the other, and I fear that those who chose the humanitarian mission would likely be seen as second class citizens who couldn't hack the rigor of a proselytizing mission, essentially a step above those who don't serve, but still not. Church records would likely note the type of mission served and it could possibly become even more of a screening test for leadership positions. (please don't argue with me that it's not, we all know better).

2. It will be difficult for leaders to rationalize/justify such a use of resources given the (scriptural?) mandate they feel they have to proselytize the world. All of the "no unhallowed hand shall stop . . . " rhetoric will be difficult to overcome, especially with our elderly apostles who still hang on to a dated worldview of what it means to find new revenue sources share the gospel. The question will be asked "How many MORE converts is this going to bring us? How many of those converts will be full tithe payers?"
                      Ha. Some of you non-Utah mormons need to get over yourselves.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Since we were kind of on the topic of cool Op Eds from the trib

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...e-lds.html.csp
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Since we were kind of on the topic of cool Op Eds from the trib

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...e-lds.html.csp
                          That was a good one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Ha. Some of you non-Utah mormons need to get over yourselves.
                            You of all people should know that that's the rug that ties the room together, so don't pee on it.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                              You know, I love the idea of offering a humanitarian mission option, but there are two things I see getting in the way of this either happening or being effective.

1. Dominant church culture (and by this I mean Utah culture) would inevitably begin to value one type of mission over the other, and I fear that those who chose the humanitarian mission would likely be seen as second class citizens who couldn't hack the rigor of a proselytizing mission, essentially a step above those who don't serve, but still not. Church records would likely note the type of mission served and it could possibly become even more of a screening test for leadership positions. (please don't argue with me that it's not, we all know better).

So make the first six to eight months of the mission post-MTC service oriented. Think of it as Ammon watching the sheep and feeding the horses before ever mentioning anything about God. No stigma, because everyone does it.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                So make the first six to eight months of the mission post-MTC service oriented. Think of it as Ammon watching the sheep and feeding the horses before ever mentioning anything about God. No stigma, because everyone does it.
                                There you go. We could call it "the Ammon Project".
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X