No announcement yet.

Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting in Stake Priesthood meeting with our new mission president. Our area joined the Richmond mission now and he was giving us some stats. They have 288 missionaries. Over the next 2 transfers they will get 73 more missionaries, 36 of which are sisters. He said ever ward will have 4-6 missionaries.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Sitting in Stake Priesthood meeting with our new mission president. Our area joined the Richmond mission now and he was giving us some stats. They have 288 missionaries. Over the next 2 transfers they will get 73 more missionaries, 36 of which are sisters. He said ever ward will have 4-6 missionaries.
      We have four missionaries in our ward now: one set of English speaking and another set of Spanish speaking.

I think we already have more missionaries than investigators at any given time and we usually feed one set about once in about in about 10 days on average, I would guess. If we got another set I am not sure what they would do and we would be feeding a pair once a week.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Must be a push month.

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/...4J0jWeznQ.cspx

Edit: Dammit. Just noticed that Donut beat me to it in the crime thread.
        Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• So what is going to happen when the folks in this bubble return from their missions?

Almost a year after President Thomas S. Monson’s missionary age change announcement from last October, Brigham Young University is still experiencing the after-effects.

According to Todd Hollingshead, BYU information manager, a preliminary look at BYU enrollment shows that there will be about 10 percent less students on campus this Fall. The majority of the drop can be seen among freshman male students and female students between the ages of 19 and 21.
          [...]
          See more at: http://universe.byu.edu/2013/08/26/a....K6E4cx8O.dpuf
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            So what is going to happen when the folks in this bubble return from their missions?

See more at: http://universe.byu.edu/2013/08/26/a....K6E4cx8O.dpuf
            I don't know but this was the year to apply for kids who otherwise wouldn't get in.

I didn't read the article but is the enrollment down from kids who were accepted and then deferred for their missions?
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

• Ha! Now the university as a whole gets to see what Bronco goes through with his football team trying to juggle so many missions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                I don't know but this was the year to apply for kids who otherwise wouldn't get in.
                Nope. The admissions criteria for this year didn't change. BYU decided to let admissions lag, knowing that if they didn't, there would be a logjam in two years when all the deferred enrollments come back. Plus, if BYU would have enrolled more freshmen, lots of LDS kids' backup schools in-state would have been in really tough shape, what with their budgets so tightly tied to enrollments.
                Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                  Nope. The admissions criteria for this year didn't change. BYU decided to let admissions lag, knowing that if they didn't, there would be a logjam in two years when all the deferred enrollments come back. Plus, if BYU would have enrolled more freshmen, lots of LDS kids' backup schools in-state would have been in really tough shape, what with their budgets so tightly tied to enrollments.
                  What is the admissions criteria? I assume it is largely based on GPA/ACT scores. So does BYU only accept a fix number of "borderline" cases?
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The USU freshmen class is almost like an all girls school. My daughter says there are like 15 guys in her ward.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                      After attending New Student Orientation, those were my thoughts as well. Pres. Samuelson mentioned freshman enrollments was down about 15%. BYU acceptance percentage continues to go down - it was 55% for this class. My thoughts at that time were that they were preparing for the logjam in a couple of years (although that reason was not stated).

BYU could still have off-set any impact to other Utah universities by admitting more borderline non-Utah students (about 30% of this class was from Utah). But I also think BYU is concerned about retention and borderline students struggling once admitted. On the plus side, my Freshman got all the classes he wanted and at the times he wanted to schedule them. He also got into the dorm where he wanted to live. There were no lines to get student IDs, purchase books, move into the dorms, etc. Overall, a very positive experience during NSO.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                        The USU freshmen class is almost like an all girls school. My daughter says there are like 15 guys in her ward.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
                        My dad is a USU grad and with the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver I would love to see my youngest head down there. He wants to stay up here with his friends but if I threw this out there it may change his mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          My dad is a USU grad and with the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver I would love to see my youngest head down there. He wants to stay up here with his friends but if I threw this out there it may change his mind.
                          I just found out about this alumni waiver last year. Such a smart idea for them. This brought peace to my mind that my kids won't have to chose between UNLV or Nevada. I still wouldn't care if they consider BYU as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            I just found out about this alumni waiver last year. Such a smart idea for them. This brought peace to my mind that my kids won't have to chose between UNLV or Nevada. I still wouldn't care if they consider BYU as an option.
                            Agree. The Utah State Legacy program adds a safety school for my kids as well. In my state, the quality in-state universities are more difficult to gain acceptance than BYU. So if one of my kids doesn't get accepted to BYU or the top tier in-state universities, Utah State is an excellent alternative to BYU-Idaho which is where far too many of the local LDS students are heading after HS graduation.

Edit: I mentioned this on other threads but I think U. of Utah would be wise to implement a similar Legacy program. Once a U alumni moves out of Utah, his/her academically accomplished children probably have a higher chance of enrolling at BYU rather than the U simply because of the cost difference.
                            Last edited by Paperback Writer; 09-16-2013, 10:25 AM.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              It really is a great program. If we ever escape this state, it's good to know we can still send kids there at the same price.
                              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                                It really is a great program. If we ever escape this state, it's good to know we can still send kids there at the same price.
                                Aren't you self employed, what is holding you back?

Comment

Working...
                                X