Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    If men go to hell (so to speak) for not serving a mission then like 70% of my ward is going to hell for not doing the home teaching. Why isn't the same pressure given to men that don't do their home teaching in the church?
    Because we know better.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      Because we know better.
      Yes, we know that it is only a priesthood duty and not a commandment. Therefore, no matter want the hell our EQP/HPGL says we are not going to hell for not doing it. We may miss out a few blessing here and there but at least we are not going to hell.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Missionary applications up 471%. Church expects to have ~80K missionaries in near future - some in LDS HQ are expecting the current number to double to over 100K. At the current average of 5 baptisms per missionary per year, it could mean over 500K converts a year...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...alf-women.html

Comment

• Originally posted by statman View Post
          Missionary applications up 471%. Church expects to have ~80K missionaries in near future - some in LDS HQ are expecting the current number to double to over 100K. At the current average of 5 baptisms per missionary per year, it could mean over 500K converts a year...

Interestingly, that article ends with a reference to the nixed plans for the MTC expansion. Weird that it was included in a British newspaper.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by statman View Post
            Missionary applications up 471%. Church expects to have ~80K missionaries in near future - some in LDS HQ are expecting the current number to double to over 100K. At the current average of 5 baptisms per missionary per year, it could mean over 500K converts a year...

Do you really think convert rates per companionship will remain level after a large influx of missionaries?
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              He thinks living away from home and learning to function without your parents around is an important part of being ready to be a missionary. Granted, his sons didn't experience any of the potential drawbacks of waiting. None of us got in any trouble ecclesiastically and none of us got on academic probation our freshman year. Academic probation came after the mission, and we were a perfect 4/4.
              If my goal for my son was to have the most successful mission possible, I would agree. In fact, I would have him go after he graduated from college. He'd be even more mature and have more life experience to draw on. If my goal was to have him serve, get the life benefits you get from a mission, but fit it in his life in the optimal point, I would want him to go right after high school before college.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                Do you really think convert rates per companionship will remain level after a large influx of missionaries?
                I probably shouldn't wade into an actuarial discussion, but...

At least in developed countries, is there possibly any more exposure the church can generate? It is all over in the media. Are there a lot of interested non-members who have not been reached by the church's message? And will the increased numbers of missionaries find those interested, and baptize significantly more people? I'm not sure that there's many interested people who are not finding their way to the church. I'm skeptical that increased missionaries will significantly increase convert rates per companionship (again, in developed countries).

Now if a lot of the increased missionaries go into developing countries, I assume that there will be a significant increase in converts and convert rates per companionship. The church's media reach is likely not as extensive in those areas.

As far as the article goes, I highly doubt we can extrapolate the recent jump in missionary applications to the future. It was an exciting change for many, but it won't last. I'll bet that the current rate will drop significantly, but still level off higher than what it has been historically.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  Now if a lot of the increased missionaries go into developing countries, I assume that there will be a significant increase in converts and convert rates per companionship. The church's media reach is likely not as extensive in those areas.
                  The church could easily significantly increase their conversion rate in developing countries, but the church has chosen to manage their growth rates there to allow time for leadership to be trained, "infrastructure" to be built and not flood the members with more people than they can possibly serve/fellowship/assimilate.

The Philippines and Latin America are notable examples of what happened when the church didn't manage early growth well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    The church could easily significantly increase their conversion rate in developing countries, but the church has chosen to manage their growth rates there to allow time for leadership to be trained, "infrastructure" to be built and not flood the members with more people than they can possibly serve/fellowship/assimilate.

The Philippines and Latin America are notable examples of what happened when the church didn't manage early growth well.
                    Right. I understand this argument. But I'm skeptical that convert rates will increase significantly in developed countries.
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Total missionaries with baptisms per missionary.

Kind of interesting to see the trends. I think baptisms per missionary is not affected by missionary count, and more affected by other issues. I would predict baptisms per missionary does not drop too much even if we upped the number of missionaries significantly, ie + 30%.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        Total missionaries with baptisms per missionary.

Kind of interesting to see the trends. I think baptisms per missionary is not affected by missionary count, and more affected by other issues. I would predict baptisms per missionary does not drop too much even if we upped the number of missionaries significantly, ie + 30%.
                        I destroyed the averages my years.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          I destroyed the averages my years.
                          My two years are the highest on the table. :rockon1:

Comment

My two years are the highest on the table. :rockon1:
                            Didn't you go to Asia? You guys were probably dragging the averages down.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Didn't you go to Asia? You guys were probably dragging the averages down.

They will bow down at my knees in the halls of the celestial kingdom when they hear I was on a mission during the great 1989 baptism explosion.

Comment

They will bow down at my knees in the halls of the celestial kingdom when they hear I was on a mission during the great 1989 baptism explosion.
                                Big growth in Eastern Europe and Africa during that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X