Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    i didnt extend. I actually went home around 6 weeks early
    I came home two+months short of two years so I could start school again. It was an honorable release. Supposedly my MP had to get permission from SLC to allow it. So I got that going for me.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      Seriously. I wouldn't have taken you for someone who believes the church should get involved in a family decision.
      It shouldn't be a family decision, that's my point.

It's rare, but it happens, and if it does the church shouldn't let 18-19-20 year olds make those types of decisions.

Something simple like, The Lord now wants you to serve your family during this painful time.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
        It shouldn't be a family decision, that's my point.

It's rare, but it happens, and if it does the church shouldn't let 18-19-20 year olds make those types of decisions.

Something simple like, The Lord now wants you to serve your family during this painful time.
        My BIL was not allowed to come to my daughter's funeral. He was in the MTC and the funeral was 20 minutes away. It may have been that he chose to stay out - I only know what I was told - but even at the time it seemed to be a silly decision by whoever made it. So I agree. Even if it's just leave for a period of time based on relationships - who better to comfort an LDS family than a son or daughter that has been steeped in the work until that moment.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I came home on the earlier transfer day which was about 4 weeks short of my mtc entrance date.

I say I came home, but I actually flew straight to Utah to start school. I wanted to get right back into it. I didn't want to waste a semester coming home a few weeks after it started.

I had to track down my new student ward SP to get released. I then went home over the MLK long weekend and gave a talk in my home ward. I never reported to the High Council.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I came home two+months short of two years so I could start school again. It was an honorable release. Supposedly my MP had to get permission from SLC to allow it. So I got that going for me.
            It was Canada so I'm sure it felt like longer than two years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

I was asked to extend. I entered August 5, 1998 and was asked to extend through the cycle going home August 22, 2000. I was hesitant, because that meant I would arrive home on a Friday and start college the next Monday. But I didn't want to tell my MP no, either. I told my MP that I wanted to extend, but asked if I could call home and discuss the logistics with my parents. When I called, they told me they had just purchased non-refundable plane tickets to come to Guatemala to pick me up on July 20 (my original departure cycle). Aww shucks.

So I got the glory (and the glory was great!) of being willing to extend without having to actually do it. Win-Win.
              You guys are hilarious. Staying an extra week or 2 is not an extension and you get no credit on earth or in heaven for your willingness to stay an extra week to catch your plane.

When I asked my mission president if I could go home 2 weeks early so that I wouldn't miss winter semester, he told me that I signed up for 2 years and that's when I could leave. I thought that was a bit too strict, but I said "OK. Then can I extend for an extra 2 months?" And he was happy to agree to that. I guess the contract was flexible after all.

A few weeks later President told me that there would be no flights out till February and that I could go home mid December if I wanted (1 month early), and I quickly agreed. None of it mattered though, as I went home 2.5 months early instead, using up all the heavenly credit I had gained for my willingness to extend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                You guys are hilarious. Staying an extra week or 2 is not an extension and you get no credit on earth or in heaven for your willingness to stay an extra week to catch your plane.

When I asked my mission president if I could go home 2 weeks early so that I wouldn't miss winter semester, he told me that I signed up for 2 years and that's when I could leave. I thought that was a bit too strict, but I said "OK. Then can I extend for an extra 2 months?" And he was happy to agree to that. I guess the contract was flexible after all.

A few weeks later President told me that there would be no flights out till February and that I could go home mid December if I wanted (1 month early), and I quickly agreed. None of it mattered though, as I went home 2.5 months early instead, using up all the heavenly credit I had gained for my willingness to extend.
                Sucks for you man. My life has been directly blessed for my willingness to stay an extra 17 days. Clearly your life is in shambles as a direct result of your unwillingness to do the same.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Sucks for you man. My life has been directly blessed for my willingness to stay an extra 17 days. Clearly your life is in shambles as a direct result of your unwillingness to do the same.
                  I stayed an extra 24 hours. I have been heaven sent ever since.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• My president pushed guys to get home in time for the start of school semesters. My ticket home, right before fall semester, was with what amounted to two of the largest "classes" in years. There were definitely mission policies and issues on which I disagreed with the president, but I thought he had the right of it there. Sending missionaries home to stew in limbo for a couple months just to avoid sending them home a few weeks early is asking for trouble.

Comment

• Stay away from the SLC airport on missionary coming home day. A friend's daughter came home today, one of the first waves of missionaries after the age change. Just from here mission in Houston, there were 50 missionaries released. 12 were on her flight to SLC. My wife and kids went to the airport with her family and had to park in long term and run for it to be there in time.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        It was Canada so I'm sure it felt like longer than two years.
                        Only in the winter. I viewed it as a weather based time multiplier
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Daughter is heading to Nauvoo. I'm not sure they're going to know what to do with her.

IMG_4730-2.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

Comment

• They are going to put her in the Visitors Center.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                              They are going to put her in the Visitors Center.
                              Making candles would be fun.

Comment

• Beautiful eyes.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X