Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
    Here's a story on some of the effects the new missionaries will have in the immediate future. The interesting things were the reduction in time spent at the MTC and the financial impact on USU over the next two years.
    I liked these comments:

Even though missionaries will spend less time at the MTC, the church assures it will still be a valuable experience.

"It won't be a watered-down experience; it won't be a cheapened experience," said Missionary Department managing director Stephen B. Allen
    I actually really liked the LGMs (large group meetings) but the classroom stuff got old quick. Sounds like a good move to shorten the stay.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• They should do a story about the poor suckers getting home right now. All of a sudden all the 19-20 year old girls are disappearing. lol
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Here's a story on some of the effects the new missionaries will have in the immediate future. The interesting things were the reduction in time spent at the MTC and the financial impact on USU over the next two years.
        Less time at the MTC is a good thing
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I don't understand the math or logic involved with the financial impact on USU. Per the article, USU estimates a loss of 1,900 students resulting in $9.5 million in lost revenue over the next two years. It goes on to state that if USU can lure 800 out-of-state students it can make up $8 million plus it will save about $1.3 million by not needing to provide scholarships to out-of-state students.

Here's my problem. I have an out-of-state graduating HS senior. We might even consider USU but not without scholarship money. If we're going to pay out-of-state tuition, we'll apply to U. of Utah before USU. So how is USU going to "lure" 800 out-of-state students without scholarship money? Perhaps USU intends to lower their admission bar low enough to "lure" students who don't have better in-state options and who won't get accepted to U. of Utah. In my view, that is a very low bar.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
            I liked these comments:

I actually really liked the LGMs (large group meetings) but the classroom stuff got old quick. Sounds like a good move to shorten the stay.
            Completely agreed. I learned so much more Spanish once I arrived in country. I made a great effort while I was there, but it was so much easier to be immersed. 2 weeks less would have been good.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
              I don't understand the math or logic involved with the financial impact on USU. Per the article, USU estimates a loss of 1,900 students resulting in $9.5 million in lost revenue over the next two years. It goes on to state that if USU can lure 800 out-of-state students it can make up $8 million plus it will save about $1.3 million by not needing to provide scholarships to out-of-state students.

Here's my problem. I have an out-of-state graduating HS senior. We might even consider USU but not without scholarship money. If we're going to pay out-of-state tuition, we'll apply to U. of Utah before USU. So how is USU going to "lure" 800 out-of-state students without scholarship money? Perhaps USU intends to lower their admission bar low enough to "lure" students who don't have better in-state options and who won't get accepted to U. of Utah. In my view, that is a very low bar.
              I think that there is a large contingent of potential students in Western Wyoming and Eastern Idaho that look to USU as a great option for higher education. Also USU could bring in more foreign kids whose rich parents will pay full tuition.
              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                I liked these comments:

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                Less time at the MTC is a good thing
                I agree with both of you. I think it's good to get a primer on the language and how to teach, but the real learning happens in the field (not to mention you get really sick of things). I was incredibly poor at German until the switch went on one night while on splits with the WML and discussing Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
                Not that, sickos.

Comment

We have two seniors that are going to USU. One is the son of a USU alum so he gets "in state tuition" and the other is trying to get a scholarship. If she doesn't get the scholarship she is probably going there anyway. USU is really just BYU-North...in a good way since it doesn't have a ridiculous honor code.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    We have two seniors that are going to USU. One is the son of a USU alum so he gets "in state tuition" and the other is trying to get a scholarship. If she doesn't get the scholarship she is probably going there anyway. USU is really just BYU-North...in a good way since it doesn't have a ridiculous honor code.
                    I would encourage my kids to go to USU before Ricks college.

Comment

Hmm... it seems to me it is a great time to be a HS senior that is planning on attending a school in Utah. Enrollment will be down so it may be easier for your son to get accepted and get a scholarship. He just has to delay his mission for a year.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Hmm... it seems to me it is a great time to be a HS senior that is planning on attending a school in Utah. Enrollment will be down so it may be easier for your son to get accepted and get a scholarship. He just has to delay his mission for a year.
                        He's pretty much decided to attend college for a year before his mission. Will find out in about a month whether BYU accepts him or if there will be another A&M Aggie in the family (already accepted). Any scholarship $ will be gravy but it probably won't be coming from BYU. Would be hard to pass up a full-ride from either Utah or USU but I don't see how that helps their budget crunch with decreased enrollments. If it's a partial scholarship with similar costs to BYU than he's getting his haircut and going to Provo or keeping it long and going to College Station as both a better schools. Anyway, don't know about U. of Utah but it seems USU is trying to lure out-of-state students sans scholarship.

Don't get me wrong about USU. I wish my kids had legacy scholarship status as a backup to Texas, Texas A&M, and BYU. My father attended USU for 2 years pre-mission along with his distant relative Merlin Olsen. Then transferred to BYU post-mission, graduated, got married, and then went back to USU for his MS degree. While attending Nebraska, I got a scouting report by a friend who wrestled in a meet at USU. He loved everything about USU and Logan and said I would be crazy to transfer to BYU rather than USU. Don't know if USU had a legacy scholarship program back then.

I'd also pick USU over Ricks U. But if I'm going to pay out-of-state tuition, I'd opt for U. of Utah over USU. But with an offer from A&M already in his pocket, it's going to come down between BYU and A&M unless UT suprises us with an acceptence.
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          USU is really just BYU-North...in a good way since it doesn't have a ridiculous honor code.
                          It's a bit more than that. They do have frats and sororities there with all the attendant hijinks.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

He's pretty much decided to attend college for a year before his mission. Will find out in about a month whether BYU accepts him or if there will be another A&M Aggie in the family (already accepted). Any scholarship $ will be gravy but it probably won't be coming from BYU. Would be hard to pass up a full-ride from either Utah or USU but I don't see how that helps their budget crunch with decreased enrollments. If it's a partial scholarship with similar costs to BYU than he's getting his haircut and going to Provo or keeping it long and going to College Station as both a better schools. Anyway, don't know about U. of Utah but it seems USU is trying to lure out-of-state students sans scholarship.

Don't get me wrong about USU. I wish my kids had legacy scholarship status as a backup to Texas, Texas A&M, and BYU. My father attended USU for 2 years pre-mission along with his distant relative Merlin Olsen. Then transferred to BYU post-mission, graduated, got married, and then went back to USU for his MS degree. While attending Nebraska, I got a scouting report by a friend who wrestled in a meet at USU. He loved everything about USU and Logan and said I would be crazy to transfer to BYU rather than USU. Don't know if USU had a legacy scholarship program back then.

I'd also pick USU over Ricks U. But if I'm going to pay out-of-state tuition, I'd opt for U. of Utah over USU. But with an offer from A&M already in his pocket, it's going to come down between BYU and A&M unless UT suprises us with an acceptence.
                            If you are related to Merlin Olsen then I believe that counts for something with USU. In fact, I bet there is a box on the application that says "Check here if related to Merlin Olsen".

Interesting, my brother also went to USU for his masters. I am guessing that the USDA recruits a lot of grads from there.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              If you are related to Merlin Olsen then I believe that counts for something with USU. In fact, I bet there is a box on the application that says "Check here if related to Merlin Olsen".

Interesting, my brother also went to USU for his masters. I am guessing that the USDA recruits a lot of grads from there.
                              I think USU has decent agriculture science programs but I haven't looked into it closely. But they are the Aggies. Got my Dad into UCLA for his Phd...

I've never being able to keep straight the relationship between me and Merlin Olsen but it is distant. With polygamy, it gets confusing fast....

Comment

• A guy in our ward was just released as a mission president last summer. He still has some friends out there that are mission presidents and is also pretty good friends with one of the district presidents for the MTC and had dinner with he and his wife last week.

He says that last Wednesday they had around 750 new missionaries enter the MTC. Says it is the a record for the most missionaries ever to come in one week.

He says that next week they have around 900 scheduled to enter the MTC.

The week after that they will have more than 1000.

That sounds like a LOT of missionaries. He said that during dinner they talked about the amount of work it takes to get ready for them - he's been out contracting apartment complexes.

About a third of the new missionaries are sister. Apparently one thing they hadn't considered is how different the bathroom needs are for men versus women - and most MTC housing is set up for men. Who knew?

I am curious about those numbers. Really? 2600+ new missionaries over a 3 week time period? What is the least amount of time a missionary will spend in the MTC?

Comment

Working...
                                X