X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    lol. i never liked any of them.
    Why didn't I think of that?
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
      Why didn't I think of that?
      I was a letter of the law kind of guy
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I volunteered to help inspect our mission's cars this morning during a mission conference. Overall, the cars were in good shape, although sisters' vehicles were invariably cleaner and in better shape than elders'. While inspecting a sisters' car, I turned on the radio and was amused to hear a CD of some rockin' instrumentals. The first one up was, appropriately enough, the theme from Mission Impossible. The CD was a violation of mission rules, but the sisters' secret remained safe with me. They got a full pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I volunteered to help inspect our mission's cars this morning during a mission conference. Overall, the cars were in good shape, although sisters' vehicles were invariably cleaner and in better shape than elders'. While inspecting a sisters' car, I turned on the radio and was amused to hear a CD of some rockin' instrumentals. The first one up was, appropriately enough, the theme from Mission Impossible. The CD was a violation of mission rules, but the sisters' secret remained safe with me. They got a full pass.
          inspecting mission cars? wow, they are really putting you out to pasture, aren't they? i assume they are going to call you to work in the stake genealogy library soon or maybe lock the building up each night.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

inspecting mission cars? wow, they are really putting you out to pasture, aren't they? i assume they are going to call you to work in the stake genealogy library soon or maybe lock the building up each night.
            I volunteered. This kind of occasional assignment, along with my demanding calling of HP Group Secretary, keeps me way out in said pasture, where I am very content.

Comment

It's called lobbying. First thing is volunteering to inspect cars, and the next thing you know... 24 months later your sending guys home in boxer shorts.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• http://www.sltrib.com/home/2686577-1...mtc-prompt-lds

Well, one of the creepy web-winged mammals recently awakened a "sister missionary," and now she and her roommates are undergoing "appropriate preventative treatment for rabies," LDS Church spokesman Eric Hawkins confirmed Wednesday.

In addition, just to be cautious, 600 other female LDS missionaries — housed in a once-vacant building on the south side of the MTC campus near Brigham Young University — have been moved to nearby areas so pest-control experts can address the bat infestation.
                Sister missionaries. I tell you...
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• New program for missionaries to help them adjust after the mission:

https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary/my-plan

PTSD therapy for missionaries?
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    New program for missionaries to help them adjust after the mission:

https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary/my-plan

PTSD therapy for missionaries?
                    I think it's good for no other reason than to give soon-to-be RMs some internet time to start making arrangements when they land home. In some areas without Ipads, it's ridiculous how little computer time is available. There are place where missionaries are assigned times at the stake center just to email home. It's not uncommon to read an email ending with: "Got to end the email now, my time slot started 10 minutes late and now another missionary is telling me that my time is up. Or it's an ingenuous excuse to write a short email. Can't imagine how a missionary would be expected to reapply to a university, secure housing, pull a semester schedule with the few minutes of computer time they are allowed on a given P-Day without a program like this.

Personally, the wait or delay between communications got somewhat frustrating for me as a parent. Universities have deadlines to reapply and get into campus housing, etc. Finally, the my-plan gave my son the "excuse" to devote time to getting readmitted to college, determine semester schedules (course requirements tend to change over time) and try to set up an internship or other work opportunity before the semester starts. Universities and employers outside the Mormon West often don't realize how cut-off missionaries are from the outside world and many (most?) missionaries don't feel they have the freedom to devote time to establishing their plans once their mission ends. Like most things in the missionary world, a program has to be set up so a missionary knows it is officially sanctioned.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• That's a pretty good idea. I know I had about a month long lapse of empty space between coming home and going to school, in which I binged on tv, music, and junk food, effectively corroding away most of the good habits I had developed.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                        I think it's good for no other reason than to give soon-to-be RMs some internet time to start making arrangements when they land home. In some areas without Ipads, it's ridiculous how little computer time is available. There are place where missionaries are assigned times at the stake center just to email home. It's not uncommon to read an email ending with: "Got to end the email now, my time slot started 10 minutes late and now another missionary is telling me that my time is up. Or it's an ingenuous excuse to write a short email. Can't imagine how a missionary would be expected to reapply to a university, secure housing, pull a semester schedule with the few minutes of computer time they are allowed on a given P-Day without a program like this.

Personally, the wait or delay between communications got somewhat frustrating for me as a parent. Universities have deadlines to reapply and get into campus housing, etc. Finally, the my-plan gave my son the "excuse" to devote time to getting readmitted to college, determine semester schedules (course requirements tend to change over time) and try to set up an internship or other work opportunity before the semester starts. Universities and employers outside the Mormon West often don't realize how cut-off missionaries are from the outside world and many (most?) missionaries don't feel they have the freedom to devote time to establishing their plans once their mission ends. Like most things in the missionary world, a program has to be set up so a missionary knows it is officially sanctioned.
                        It probably varies according to mission president. My brother-in-law just got home, and he didn't have time restrictions. He registered for classes, and I helped him with the rest (mostly the parts that involved paying money). I'm sure that there are many presidents who would disagree with my brother-in-law's president and put severe restrictions on how their missionaries use the internet.
                        Not that, sickos.

Comment

• Gregory Prince said that a GA told him that 50% of RMs go inactive within five years of returning home from their missions. He also said that 13% of full-time missionaries will leave their missions prematurely. Around 20:00 and 22:00 in the recent radio west broadcast: http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/lds-missions

Have these numbers always been this high?
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Gregory Prince said that a GA told him that 50% of RMs go inactive within five years of returning home from their missions. He also said that 13% of full-time missionaries will leave their missions prematurely. Around 20:00 and 22:00 in the recent radio west broadcast: http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/lds-missions

Have these numbers always been this high?
                            50%? That is really hard to believe.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. But he claims a GA told him that.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                It's impossible to believe. Just think about the numbers for a minute.
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                                X