Thread: What is the least biased news source?

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Default What is the least biased news source?

Though I find the political leans and biases of some new sources entertaining, and even instructive for differing view points. This morning driving to work I was flipping back between NPR and Fox, just to listen to how differently people can view the same event (see also: Conference, General). I generally try to avoid watching, or listening to any of the big 3 (MSNBC, CNN, FNC), I do like NPR, but not when Diane Rehm or others start waxing philosophical. I'm often left feeling like an earlier radical, "who is right and who is wrong?"

If an undecided voter truly wanted to research the issues and follow the next month of news, before making and informed decision on who to vote for, what would be the single best resource?

C-SPAN.

Diane Rehm is by far the worst show on NPR. Excluding her, definitely NPR.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I have always thought the Macneil/Leher News hour was the least biased.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    C-SPAN.
    Is that still on most cable networks? I don't think I've seen a single second of Snore-Span in well over a decade. I know you, LAU, ox, and several others, follow the political flow fairly closely. Do hardcore observers, like you even watch that channel?

Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    what....are....you....talking...about?

CaliCoug
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Is that still on most cable networks? I don't think I've seen a single second of Snore-Span in well over a decade. I know you, LAU, ox, and several others, follow the political flow fairly closely. Do hardcore observers, like you even watch that channel?
    C-SPAN and C-SPAN 2 are on all sat networks and all of the big cable networks. The locals sometimes don't include C-SPAN 2. I don't watch it unless there is something I'm particularly interested in, like a hearing or budget debate. But if you want unbiased news then watch the source. Everything else will have some sort of bias, some less so than others. I think the best news show is with Special Report with Bret Baier. It has a conservative lean, but its not hysterical like the rest of the shows on Fox. Anderson Cooper 360 is also pretty good.

I know she has a disease or whatever but sometimes someone just needs to tell her to spit it out

you don't listen to the Diane Rehm show for Diane, you listen for the guests she brings in, who are nearly always excellent, and nearly always represent the multiple sides of the issues.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

I don't think there is a good source out there that will present things without bias. Even if they don't seem to offer much commentary there is always the bias of what information is presented. The best thing to do is to go to as many different news sources as possible and then where necessary/possible examine the source material they are using to make your own conclusions.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

NPR is not unbiased.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Whichever one IPU reads. That one is right down the middle, I swear.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    NPR is not unbiased.
    Right, they aren't, but I still like listening to them. I prefer NPR radio over anything else.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Why do people want unbiased news sources? We are all biased and we all want/need our own biases affirmed. It was a great day when I concluded that I didn't need to be open minded.

I don't mind bias as much as blatant stupidity.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I have visited Europe 3 times. Nice place to visit with the exception of France in 1965. What I really liked about Europe is how old it seemed. Very layback and non competitive. I felt in any kind of confrontation I would have the upper hand. Especially in France where the men lay their heads on the women's shoulders instead of vice versa.
    -byu'71

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Whichever one IPU reads. That one is right down the middle, I swear.
    And if it is not right down the middle, it is at least fair and balanced.
    The Mormon Creed: Mind Your Own Business

NPR is not unbiased.
    of course not. but they're the best at covering it up. they also have much more interesting/compelling features than just about anyone else. plus, car talk.

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

of course not. but they're the best at covering it up. they also have much more interesting/compelling features than just about anyone else. plus, car talk.
    The call of the question was what's the least biased. I've expressed my love- hate relationship with NPR.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Car talk is going away.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

NPR is not unbiased.

No kidding. People (not you Cam) hear sterile, temperate NPR monotone as representing some kind of objectivity.

I've interacted w/ NPR execs over the past few years and those cats aren't running an unbiased operation. But their bias is usually evident in the things they don't talk about more than in the things they do.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Car talk is going away.
    Seriously sad.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Quote Originally Posted by oxcoug View Post
    No kidding. People (not you Cam) hear sterile, temperate NPR monotone as representing some kind of objectivity.

I've interacted w/ NPR execs over the past few years and those cats aren't running an unbiased operation. But their bias is usually evident in the things they don't talk about more than in the things they do.
    One time I was driving home from work while listening to NPR and heard the announcer say, "The State Of Things is brought to you by.... Subaru of Chapel Hill." I burst into laughter that lasted me the rest of the day. At least they know their audience!
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

http://theweek.com/

The absolute best for knowing what everyone thinks about something.
    "LDS people need to lighten up and not take religion so seriously." --CardiacCoug
    "[...]
    liberals tend to take the moral teachings of the New Testament literally and the stories figuratively while conservatives do the opposite." -- Harry Tic

I'd say that's true of most of the press. Benghazi, anyone?
    "Remember to double tap"

i definitely agree with this. npr has a slant that is probably associated with their listener base (many of whom are obnoxious, self-righteous yuppies). they're not great at a lot of things but i feel like they do manage to avoid the news as entertainment spectacle that is found on fox/msnbc too frequently. one bonus i forgot to mention is market place, which is well done.

i also read nro and the wsj most days for stuff i can't get on npr. maybe the most important thing other than being able to see past bias on one's own is to get info from a diversity of sources. google news is really good for that.

I watched the brief post-debate coverage on NBC last night and thought it seemed pretty fair and objective. They all said Mitt won the debate.

Really I think the major network coverage is actually pretty unbiased still.