No announcement yet.

NBA 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spurs are better at developing lower draft picks than anyone. It's insane what they can turn the 15th pick of the draft into. Leonard is really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      In games 1 and 2 vs the Warriors Pop used a lot of different defenses. He had Tony Parker on Curry, Kawhi Leonard on Curry, Parker on Thompson, Green on Curry, Green on Thompson, Kawhi on Barnes, etc. It seemed like whatever combination he used didn't really matter the Warriors would have someone make shots.

In Game 3 he decided to stick with Kawhi on Thompson, Danny Green on Curry and let Parker try and guard Harrison Barnes with the assumption that if Barnes got his they would still be ok. Barnes was a monster in this series and really took that next step to becoming an elite nba player. Curry and Thompson on the other hand completely disappeared.

Look at Thompson in games 1 and 2:

Game 1: 19 points on 8-15 shooting
      Game 2: 34 points 14 rebounds 13-23 shooting.

Enter Kawhi Leonard
      Game 3: 17 points on 7-20
      Game 4: 10 points on 5-13 (in 51 minutes)
      Game 5: 4 points on 2-8
      Game 6: 10 points on 4-12
      He also had 6 total rebounds in the last 3 games.

Steph Curry faired a little better in the series overall but I saw a stat in game 3 where he was 2-19 when he was guarded by Danny Green.

Danny Green pretty much guarded him exclusively for the remainder of the series (Cory Joseph had a few small stretches on him as well) so from game 4 through game 6 he shot: 21 of 54. Assuming the majority of those shots came while being guarded by Danny Green that means he was 23 of 73 shooting 31.5% with Danny Green as the primary defender.

Against everyone else he was 28-53 shooting 52% from the floor. Maybe I am pointing out the obvious but that seems to be the difference in the series.
      Good thoughts. Although even with Barnes, you're too kind. Not only was he not a monster, but it could be argued he was below average. He shot 43% FGs and 25% 3pt. This is not a shot at Barnes because he is a rookie playing in the playoffs against one of the best teams in the league (also, I thought he played admirably on the defensive end and rebounded fairly well), but he did struggle with inconsistency in his shooting just as he did in the regular season.
      Last edited by smokymountainrain; 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        Good thoughts. Although even with Barnes, you're too kind. Not only was he not a monster, but it could be argued he was below average. He shot 43% FGs and 25% 3pt. This is not a shot at Barnes because he is a rookie playing in the playoffs against one of the best teams in the league (also, I thought he played admirably on the defensive end and rebounded fairly well), but he did struggle with inconsistency in his shooting just as he did in the regular season.
        So he was Paul George.

I wish Barnes could've had another strong game last night, but the fall really set him back. He was 4-7 before that hard crash, and finished 4-10.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
          So he was Paul George.

I wish Barnes could've had another strong game last night, but the fall really set him back. He was 4-7 before that hard crash, and finished 4-10.
          Barnes is going to be interesting to watch in the next few years. He's been one of those guys who seems better suited for the NBA game and despite my comments about his shooting struggles, for the first time in his career (NBA and UNC) I saw things out of him that make me think he has a chance to become a very good player.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

Barnes is going to be interesting to watch in the next few years. He's been one of those guys who seems better suited for the NBA game and despite my comments about his shooting struggles, for the first time in his career (NBA and UNC) I saw things out of him that make me think he has a chance to become a very good player.
            I had that same thought watching him the other night. He was a good college player, but I always felt like he way underachieved at UNC. He's one of those rare talents that could develop into a much better pro player than he was a college player.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              I had that same thought watching him the other night. He was a good college player, but I always felt like he way underachieved at UNC. He's one of those rare talents that could develop into a much better pro player than he was a college player.
              Up until recently he's looked far too rigid in his upper body but he now seems to be moving much more fluidly.
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• "Rooting for a perpetually hopeless franchise will drive you insane for a number of reasons. You know this. But you know when it gets really bad? The playoffs, when you have to watch players your team passed up dominate on another team. Actually that's not it, either. It gets REALLY bad when you watch someone like Kawhi Leonard dominating for the Spurs and realize that this never would've happened if he'd landed with your team."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...life-is-unfair

Comment

• Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                  "Rooting for a perpetually hopeless franchise will drive you insane for a number of reasons. You know this. But you know when it gets really bad? The playoffs, when you have to watch players your team passed up dominate on another team. Actually that's not it, either. It gets REALLY bad when you watch someone like Kawhi Leonard dominating for the Spurs and realize that this never would've happened if he'd landed with your team."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...life-is-unfair
                  I read that article earlier. All I could think about was how much I hope Jimmer gets traded to real franchise, this off-season. Because of his ability to hit 28 footers, I think he will land on his feet regardless of what happened in Seattle Sacramento. However, he won't ever be able to recoup the lost knowledge inflicted upon him, by an inept coach, and a dysfunctional organization.

Comment

• jarron-collins-photo.jpg
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• I am really impressed with how Indiana has seemed to develop a lot of their guys. Of all the guys on the Pacers, the highest player picked on their team is DJ Augustin at 9 who isn't really their developed guy. Hibbert, Granger, George have been all-stars or are/fringe all-stars. Plus West & Hill are very good. Just look at Lance Stephenson, in the past 2 years he turned into some nobody who was only known for being a distraction to a very key contributor in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I wish we had Vogel as our HC.

Comment

• The Knicks should feel really good about their future.

They only owe Amare Stoudemire $46 M over the next two years. And 39 year old Jason Kidd is only on the books for 2 more years. Same for 38 yo Marcus Camby. And that Steve Novak guy that they only played 5 mpg in the playoffs is only going to get paid for 3 more years. But they should be able to make some big roster improvements this off-season since they only have $76 M on the payroll for the 8 guys currently under contract.

But at least their MVP is a guy who loves taking the least effective shot in the game, isn't very good from 3, doesn't play any defense, and has won a total of 3 playoff series in his first 10 seasons even though his teams have been in the playoffs each of those 10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                          The Knicks should feel really good about their future.

They only owe Amare Stoudemire $46 M over the next two years. And 39 year old Jason Kidd is only on the books for 2 more years. Same for 38 yo Marcus Camby. And that Steve Novak guy that they only played 5 mpg in the playoffs is only going to get paid for 3 more years. But they should be able to make some big roster improvements this off-season since they only have $76 M on the payroll for the 8 guys currently under contract.

But at least their MVP is a guy who loves taking the least effective shot in the game, isn't very good from 3, doesn't play any defense, and has won a total of 3 playoff series in his first 10 seasons even though his teams have been in the playoffs each of those 10 years.
                          I sense a hint of sarcasm.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Spurs just bitch slapped Memphis in game one. Doesn't mean much as the Grizz lost games 1 and 2 against the Clippers and won 4 straight and lost game 1 against OKC before winning 4 straight.

Spurs shoot 53% from the floor and 48% from three against the leagues best defense.

Meanwhile Z-bo goes 1-8 and scores 2 points. Duncan only had 6 on 3-9 for the Spurs but they are a much deeper team and can afford an off day for Timmy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                            *Banned*

Comment

• Spurs offense was a thing of beauty today.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• I can't imagine the Spurs having as easy a time with the Grizzlies in the next games. I still think it's going to be close.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X