The Kickstarter Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.wbtw.com/story/23847724/coker
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Very cool, wuap. The altar is amazing.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Very cool, wuap. The altar is amazing.
        Thanks. This is the best write-up yet. It ran in today's paper. http://www.scnow.com/messenger/news/....html?mode=jqm
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Thanks. This is the best write-up yet. It ran in today's paper. http://www.scnow.com/messenger/news/....html?mode=jqm
          The project is great, but I have to take issue with the write up. This is sloppy journalism:

HARTSVILLE, S.C. _ While Day of the Dead may bring to mind morbid connotations and Halloween-esque images of zombies, the annual Mexican holiday actually has a more reverent and reflective purpose.

At Day of the Dead (“El día de los Muertos” in spanish) gatherings, people celebrate the lives of deceased loved ones, friends, pets and celebrities.

During traditional Day of the Dead holidays in Mexico, in rural areas, Williams said people decorate the graves of loved ones with flowers and spend the night with family and friends in the cemetery telling stories about the departed. In the cities, he said, people will often build what they call ‘Altares’ or altars in honor of the dead. People will bring flowers, candles and other items to the altar that remind them of the deceased, including their favorite foods to be shared by the participants.

“These are typically elaborate affairs full of bright colors designed to be viewed under the glint of candlelight in the evening,” he said.

On Saturday, an altar built by students and faculty Coker College will be placed on the front lawn of Davidson Hall as the college celebrates Day of the Dead. The event will start at 6:30 p.m.

At the mixed media altar featuring hand-made ceramic mosaics and built in honor of ‘Los inocentes’ – innocent children who have died young - the community is invited to share in placing items at the altar that remind them of their loved ones who have passed away.

Dr. Mac Williams, associate professor of Spanish at Coker College and Art Professor Jean Grosser partnered in constructing the altar with the help of Coker students.
          You can't use the short form before you've identified the person.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            The project is great, but I have to take issue with the write up. This is sloppy journalism:

Yeah, i noticed that as well. Also, Don Mac is misquoted in the news channel article he previously linked as having noticed a "communal lost". Perhaps it's a typo, but it's still sloppy journalism.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

In her defense, she's going under the knife this very moment to have a kidney removed. Normally, I'd bet she'd catch that.

Comment

In her defense, she's going under the knife this very moment to have a kidney removed. Normally, I'd bet she'd catch that.
                The reporter's name is Ardie Arvidson. She may have a future yet as an NPR reporter.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Comment

I didn't know that Mac's students were juggalos.
                    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Blame it on the internal organs. Typical SoCar thing to do.

Comment

We have one of those toy lions. Has a button on the belly that you push and the lion roars. Kids took it into the bathtub few years ago and broke it. They still play with it though.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

The altar is beautiful, wuap. Clearly a successful labor of love for you.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Not a kickstarter link, but I think this is cool (even if I do have some lingering questions about it):

https://onlycoin.com/?referral=SAQZkxry

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Not a kickstarter link, but I think this is cool (even if I do have some lingering questions about it):

https://onlycoin.com/?referral=SAQZkxry
                              fantastic concept. Looks like they arent doing a kick but that idea should work. I want one already. i hate carrying around cards. I didnt check out the entire link but can you use it in lieu of any plastic? AAA card? Costco Card? etc?
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I want this now.
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X