The Taysom Hill Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
    I'm not saying he didn't have some mistakes, because he did. The line play seemed to go downhill after the ejection, imo.

At this point, I'm happy about Taysom's progression and that he's sitting at 67% after 3 games. His first three games last year were like 37%.
    The second half yesterday was most disconcerting. The game got tight and the team had to completely abandoned the pass. Even more disconcerting is that it felt like the right move. We kicked their asses with a balanced attack in the first half. But the game got close with some fluky plays and the best way to assure victory was student-body-left and student-body-right. It wasn't pretty but it got the job done.

I just did a quick analysis of 2nd drives:
    Drive 1: 4 straight runs got a first down and set up 2nd and 5. Two straight passes yielded 4 yards and set up a failed fake punt.
    Drive 2: Pass for a first down. Incomplete pass, short run, incomplete pass, punt.
    Drive 3: 15 play drive included just one 3 yd pass in the first 12 plays. A holding penalty set up 2nd and Goal from the 13. Two passes later we kicked a FG.
    Drive 4: 8 play drive for a TD included 7 runs forward and one sack back.
    Drive 5: Play 1 - 3 yds from Jamaal. Play 2 - Sack. Play 3 - Interception.
    Drive 6: 8 plays, 3 first downs including one on a pass play. A 7 yard sack on first down essentially stopped the drive.
    Drive 7: 6 run plays effectively drain the clock.

Our passing plays in the second half yielded just two first downs but attempts to pass needlessly stopped drives 1, 2, 5, and 6.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
      The second half yesterday was most disconcerting. The game got tight and the team had to completely abandoned the pass. Even more disconcerting is that it felt like the right move. We kicked their asses with a balanced attack in the first half. But the game got close with some fluky plays and the best way to assure victory was student-body-left and student-body-right. It wasn't pretty but it got the job done.

Drive 1: 4 straight runs got a first down and set up 2nd and 5. Two straight passes yielded 4 yards and set up a failed fake punt.
      Drive 2: Pass for a first down. Incomplete pass, short run, incomplete pass, punt.
      Drive 3: 15 play drive included just one 3 yd pass in the first 12 plays. A holding penalty set up 2nd and Goal from the 13. Two passes later we kicked a FG.
      Drive 6: 8 plays, 3 first downs including one on a pass play. A 7 yard sack on first down essentially stopped the drive.

Our passing plays in the second half yielded just two first downs but attempts to pass needlessly stopped drives 1, 2, 5, and 6.
      Yeah, it wasn't real dynamic.

And it did feel like the right decision. He was running around too much on passing plays. The second interception was so annoying because the guy was right there, and we needed 8 yards, I think, and it was like a 2 yard sideline route and was intercepted to boot. They just wanted to shorten up the game by running it and relying on the defense. The defense did give up some pretty riduculous plays in the first half, but they were pretty tough in the second half.

I've kind of been wondering what the deal was with the fake punt, if they really had that on, or if the punter saw something that made him think he should try that. I know most teams will go to an automatic fake if the defending team lines up a certain way, but I felt like he decided that's what he wanted to do. It didn't seem designed at all. Fortunately, the defense held them to a 3 and out after that.

The negatives were reviewed in your previous post.

The positives were that we were able to essntially kill the last 6 minutes or so of the game sandwiched between a 3 and out. The guy sitting by me thought Houston should have gone for it on fourth because he said they wouldn't get the ball back. The problem with that is that BYU was already in FG range, but I see what he was saying there too. BYU's defense was also quite stout the entire third quarter.

Houston's a better team than many have given them credit for, and I think the fanbase is overreacting to this game just like they probably did last week with us creaming Texas. We're probably not as good as we played against Texas, but we're better than we played last night.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Turns out that hurdling tacklers is hard.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-...ng-in-the-face
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post

I'm not sure if making this criticism is acceptable in this thread at the moment. Maybe you just have to preface the commentary with the untisputibel fact that Taysom is amazing. But the passing game was bad in the game last night, especially the second half, as you point out. The protection wasn't good either. The passes were lat or not on target quite often, and despite a reasonable completion %, the YPC were low (I think, I haven't seen the numbers). 60% on short passes is not that good. We need to see some longer pass plays and Taysom need both good protection, and to not get happy feet.

At least that's the way I see it. Though admittedly, BYU was on the wrong side of the field all game and I found myself squiring too much. Maybe I finally need to go get my eyes checked out.

The 2nd half was a downer, but its nice to recall that, but for Juergens boneheaded play (probably a 10-14 point play), this wasn't a close game.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
            Turns out that hurdling tacklers is hard.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-...ng-in-the-face
            LOL. That was awesome. Dude went Bruce Lee on that ass!
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Guy on the telecast said Taysom can squat 530. True? Hard to believe. Guys train full time for years to get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                Guy on the telecast said Taysom can squat 530. True? Hard to believe. Guys train full time for years to get there.
                He's not squatting 530 so much as he's using the 530 for support as he leg presses the world.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  He's not squatting 530 so much as he's using the 530 for support as he leg presses the world.
                  Taysom == the new Chuck Norris
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Guy on the telecast said Taysom can squat 530. True? Hard to believe. Guys train full time for years to get there.
                    Stop. Just because you can't do it doesn't make it hard. He is a 230 pound college athlete with the best training and equipment in the world. He is probably not even top 10 on the team.
                    *Banned*

Comment

It just depends on how he's built. I remember some guys in high school were getting up close to that.

Comment

Yeah... Taysom just seems like a dude with weak legs.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

That much is certainly possible for a 230 pound man.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Maybe Taysom is into crossfit.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              Stop. Just because you can't do it doesn't make it hard. He is a 230 pound college athlete with the best training and equipment in the world. He is probably not even top 10 on the team.
                              530 isn't hard to believe at all for a college athlete of his caliber. I question how anyone can doubt the veracity of a 530 lb squat claim after watching Taysom.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                530 isn't hard to believe at all for a college athlete of his caliber. I question how anyone can doubt the veracity of a 530 lb squat claim after watching Taysom.
                                Relative to his weight, 530 doesn't seem like that big of a deal. It's impressive, but not unbelievable.
                                sigpic
                                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X