The Taysom Hill Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I'm a lot more cautious about the upside of Taysom Hill. Still learning as a thrower??? Hill is 23 and will be a junior in 2014. IMO, any improvements in Hill's passing will be incremental rather than substantial.

I've seen these predictions before with running/dual threat QBs. There's so much more room for improvement because running QBs often have problems with accuracy and reading defenses. And too often observers think that once a running QB starts throwing more accurately and to the open receiver, then the sky is the limit because the QB is such a threat running the ball. But the reality is that most running QBs improve in small increments, continue to have accuracy issues, and throw into coverage or miss open receivers.

Taysom Hill could still end up being one of BYU's best QBs. But it will be more a result of Anae adapting BYU's offense around Hill's limitations and strengths as a QB, not because Hill develops into Steve Young. And Steve Young is a good measuring stick because I think that's what's expected when the Sporting News writer mentions: "...could develop into the game's best player". I think it more likely that Hill improves incremently, which still makes him a very good player. I see Taysom Hill more similar to Eric Crouch at Nebraska who continued to struggle with accuracy and reading defenses but still turned out to be an excellent college QB and in the minds of many Heisman voters - the game's best player.
    psh... Taylor Martinez is clouding your judgement. Hill will rise up!

Comment

• Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
      PBW is still being burned by Taylor Martinez.
      Originally posted by USUC View Post

Comment

ha. That was my reaction as well.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
          I'm a lot more cautious about the upside of Taysom Hill. Still learning as a thrower??? Hill is 23 and will be a junior in 2014. IMO, any improvements in Hill's passing will be incremental rather than substantial.

I've seen these predictions before with running/dual threat QBs. There's so much more room for improvement because running QBs often have problems with accuracy and reading defenses. And too often observers think that once a running QB starts throwing more accurately and to the open receiver, then the sky is the limit because the QB is such a threat running the ball. But the reality is that most running QBs improve in small increments, continue to have accuracy issues, and throw into coverage or miss open receivers.

Taysom Hill could still end up being one of BYU's best QBs. But it will be more a result of Anae adapting BYU's offense around Hill's limitations and strengths as a QB, not because Hill develops into Steve Young. And Steve Young is a good measuring stick because I think that's what's expected when the Sporting News writer mentions: "...could develop into the game's best player". I think it more likely that Hill improves incremently, which still makes him a very good player. I see Taysom Hill more similar to Eric Crouch at Nebraska who continued to struggle with accuracy and reading defenses but still turned out to be an excellent college QB and in the minds of many Heisman voters - the game's best player.
          That was a long way of saying Hill's arms are too muscular to ever be a good passer.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            ha. That was my reaction as well.
            Guilty on all counts. But it goes beyond Taylor Martinez, he's just the latest incarnation. Eric Crouch and Jammal Lord are others who factor into "clouding my judgement". Perhaps Taysom Hill will "rise up" and develop into the next Steve Young. I would like for that to occur save for an epic meltdown to open the 2015 season.

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            That was a long way of saying Hill's arms are too muscular to ever be a good passer.
            I've never thought that. I do think Taysom Hill is much closer to Taylor Martinez then Steve Young. But my judgement "is clouded" for other reasons than Hill's muscular arms.
            Last edited by Paperback Writer; 02-21-2014, 10:56 AM.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• I'm not buying that Hill won't improve significantly - I am not aware of a more dramatic improvement arc in a QB from the beginning of one season to the end (while I know the perception is heightened by some wild weather events, a plague of dropped passes, and by learning a new offense).

By the end of 2013 Hill remained inconsistent, but played at a high level in long stretches and made a number of throws that I never (sorry PBW) saw Taylor Martinez make. His back shoulder game winner against Houston was an NFL throw (and an NFL read).

With one year in the system and better line play I think we will see the Hill's inconsistency level out.

Also - John Beck made the biggest leap in his performance between his Junior and Senior seasons, so it certainly isn't unprecedented for older RM QBs to make big leaps forward as upperclassmen.
              Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

• Will this be our last season with the noblest son? I think there's a good chance it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  Will this be our last season with the noblest son? I think there's a good chance it is.
                  Pardon my ignorance, but who are you referring to?
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    Pardon my ignorance, but who are you referring to?
                    lol

Comment

• Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                      I'm not buying that Hill won't improve significantly - I am not aware of a more dramatic improvement arc in a QB from the beginning of one season to the end (while I know the perception is heightened by some wild weather events, a plague of dropped passes, and by learning a new offense).

By the end of 2013 Hill remained inconsistent, but played at a high level in long stretches and made a number of throws that I never (sorry PBW) saw Taylor Martinez make. His back shoulder game winner against Houston was an NFL throw (and an NFL read).

With one year in the system and better line play I think we will see the Hill's inconsistency level out.

Also - John Beck made the biggest leap in his performance between his Junior and Senior seasons, so it certainly isn't unprecedented for older RM QBs to make big leaps forward as upperclassmen.
                      Even if Hill stayed constant, a (hopefully) improved line and receiving corps would boost performance.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Will this be our last season with the noblest son? I think there's a good chance it is.
                        I think he'll return for his senior season, in part because I don't think he'll make as big a leap in his passing game this season to be considered a first or second rounder.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          I think he'll return for his senior season, in part because I don't think he'll make as big a leap in his passing game this season to be considered a first or second rounder.
                          You know we have the greatest receiving corp this side of Y Mount and Eagle Mtn, right?
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

...he could develop into the game’s best player.
                            aka heisman

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              If he has a good year at all he has to bounce. Assuming he has that type of year, my guess is his passing will have improved enough that I wouldn't anticipate another very big jump from junior to senior, at least not enough to offset the age factor. If he stays for all four his age is going to majorly work against him in the draft. Kid is just getting too old.

Comment

Lol. knock it off.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X