The Taysom Hill Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    lol, Fus says what we all think but know it's inappropriate to say.
    Yeah, that made me lol.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Depending on who you believe BYU had a significantly harder schedule for 2016 compared to the other Taysom Hill seasons. For example, Phil Steele rated BYU's 2016 schedule the 7th hardest. BYU's 2015 season was 71st. So Maybe that has something with why Taysom's 2016 season looked so average or maybe he was always just average?
      That was preseason. Problem is our SOS dipped dramatically as the season progressed.

Doman put it best when he said Taysom had the ability to be a 10-2 QB this year (Taking into account that our schedule wasn't as tough as initially thought) but wasn't able to perform on that level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        That was preseason. Problem is our SOS dipped dramatically as the season progressed.

Doman put it best when he said Taysom had the ability to be a 10-2 QB this year (Taking into account that our schedule wasn't as tough as initially thought) but wasn't able to perform on that level.
        He wasn't able to win a couple more this year because he's not a good passer. He never developed the accuracy because of the type of offenses he's played in before this year and because all through HS he could always take off running whenever the receivers weren't wide open and make a big play.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          He wasn't able to win a couple more this year because he's not a good passer. He never developed the accuracy because of the type of offenses he's played in before this year and because all through HS he could always take off running whenever the receivers weren't wide open and make a big play.
          I think that's what Doman was implying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            I think that's what Doman was implying.
            it's the dominant athlete's curse. probably more pronounced in basketball.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              That may be true, but Steve Young stated you can't really become accurate if you are not innately an accurate passer. He stated you can improve but only to a certain extent. Apparently, becoming an accurate passer is more instinctive than taught, according Steve.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Taysom almost, almost, makes me feel guilty for watching college football. Throw away athletes bringing millions to their schools for a "free" degree. TV viewers could hear Taysom's home crowd cheer loudly for his replacement as Mangum took the field. A cheer that clearly meant "finally!". They didn't even wait for Hill and his torn elbow to get off the field. It seemed like a tidy summation of how college football treats its athletes in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  Taysom almost, almost, makes me feel guilty for watching college football. Throw away athletes bringing millions to their schools for a "free" degree. TV viewers could hear Taysom's home crowd cheer loudly for his replacement as Mangum took the field. A cheer that clearly meant "finally!". They didn't even wait for Hill and his torn elbow to get off the field. It seemed like a tidy summation of how college football treats its athletes in general.
                  From my perch in the West Stands I did not hear that the same way you did.

Comment

• that made me feel bad, but my mood was considerably lightened when I saw receivers go from having to make ridiculous catches-of-their-lives, to just turning and covering up the ball as it hit them in the bread basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      That may be true, but Steve Young stated you can't really become accurate if you are not innately an accurate passer. He stated you can improve but only to a certain extent. Apparently, becoming an accurate passer is more instinctive than taught, according Steve.
                      I would agree with that assertion. However, Steve Young must have had the instinctive or accurate passing gene because he would appear to be the exception. Steve Young was not an accurate passer when he first came to BYU but was able to develop passing accuracy rather quickly. I've seen this play out with a long list of running/duel threat QBs at Nebraska. The fan expectation is that the QB will somehow develop into an accurate passer and defenses will stop loading the box or spying on the QB. It does not usually happen, passing accuracy improves only incrementally. It's not coaching either because this has played out over decades at Nebraska with different OCs and QB coaches. If Danny Langsdorf (Nebraska OC) can improve Eli Manning but not Tommy Armstrong; it's not coaching. Years ago I pointed out that I thought Taysom Hill was in the same QB genre as Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Eric Crouch and caught a lot of flack on this board for the comparison. As if comparing a BYU QB to QBs who had won national titles and a Heisman trophy was a grave insult. I didn't expect Taysom Hill to suddenly become an accurate passer because I've seen this play out before with running/dual threat QBs who had similar passing accuracy issues.

I wonder how Steve Young was able to become the exception. My guess is that he had the gift all along and finally developed it when faced with the prospect of moving to defense.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        that made me feel bad, but my mood was considerably lightened when I saw receivers go from having to make ridiculous catches-of-their-lives, to just turning and covering up the ball as it hit them in the bread basket.
                        We are back to imaginary land, right? Because he only threw one pass.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          Taysom almost, almost, makes me feel guilty for watching college football. Throw away athletes bringing millions to their schools for a "free" degree. TV viewers could hear Taysom's home crowd cheer loudly for his replacement as Mangum took the field. A cheer that clearly meant "finally!". They didn't even wait for Hill and his torn elbow to get off the field. It seemed like a tidy summation of how college football treats its athletes in general.
                          Each has a different perspective. From mine, I didn't see it that way, as I felt it was, "oh no, not this way."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            I would agree with that assertion. However, Steve Young must have had the instinctive or accurate passing gene because he would appear to be the exception. Steve Young was not an accurate passer when he first came to BYU but was able to develop passing accuracy rather quickly. I've seen this play out with a long list of running/duel threat QBs at Nebraska. The fan expectation is that the QB will somehow develop into an accurate passer and defenses will stop loading the box or spying on the QB. It does not usually happen, passing accuracy improves only incrementally. It's not coaching either because this has played out over decades at Nebraska with different OCs and QB coaches. If Danny Langsdorf (Nebraska OC) can improve Eli Manning but not Tommy Armstrong; it's not coaching. Years ago I pointed out that I thought Taysom Hill was in the same QB genre as Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Eric Crouch and caught a lot of flack on this board for the comparison. As if comparing a BYU QB to QBs who had won national titles and a Heisman trophy was a grave insult. I didn't expect Taysom Hill to suddenly become an accurate passer because I've seen this play out before with running/dual threat QBs who had similar passing accuracy issues.

I wonder how Steve Young was able to become the exception. My guess is that he had the gift all along and finally developed it when faced with the prospect of moving to defense.
                            I was thinking along the same lines. But over the long run, an inaccurate passer won't become what he isn't instinctively. On the other end of the spectrum was Jake Heaps. Why he was unable to develop still baffles me, as he threw beautiful passes but couldn't read defenses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

You need to read Steve's book as he goes into detail on this.

Steve was inaccurate because he simply didn't know how to throw. Throwing wasn't part of what he did in high school. Once he studied Jim McMahon's grip and technique everything clicked. The point is some guys have the ability even though it might be raw (like Steve) and others, no matter how hard they practice, will never be good at throwing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                We are back to imaginary land, right? Because he only threw one pass.
                                And it was right on the money! Seriously, he came in cold and threw a perfect ball while running to his right for a TD.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X