Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 1678

Thread: The Taysom Hill Thread

  1. #1621
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    lol, Fus says what we all think but know it's inappropriate to say.
    Yeah, that made me lol.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  2. #1622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Depending on who you believe BYU had a significantly harder schedule for 2016 compared to the other Taysom Hill seasons. For example, Phil Steele rated BYU's 2016 schedule the 7th hardest. BYU's 2015 season was 71st. So Maybe that has something with why Taysom's 2016 season looked so average or maybe he was always just average?
    That was preseason. Problem is our SOS dipped dramatically as the season progressed.

    Doman put it best when he said Taysom had the ability to be a 10-2 QB this year (Taking into account that our schedule wasn't as tough as initially thought) but wasn't able to perform on that level.

  3. #1623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    That was preseason. Problem is our SOS dipped dramatically as the season progressed.

    Doman put it best when he said Taysom had the ability to be a 10-2 QB this year (Taking into account that our schedule wasn't as tough as initially thought) but wasn't able to perform on that level.
    He wasn't able to win a couple more this year because he's not a good passer. He never developed the accuracy because of the type of offenses he's played in before this year and because all through HS he could always take off running whenever the receivers weren't wide open and make a big play.

  4. #1624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    He wasn't able to win a couple more this year because he's not a good passer. He never developed the accuracy because of the type of offenses he's played in before this year and because all through HS he could always take off running whenever the receivers weren't wide open and make a big play.
    I think that's what Doman was implying.

  5. #1625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I think that's what Doman was implying.
    it's the dominant athlete's curse. probably more pronounced in basketball.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  6. #1626
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    He wasn't able to win a couple more this year because he's not a good passer. He never developed the accuracy because of the type of offenses he's played in before this year and because all through HS he could always take off running whenever the receivers weren't wide open and make a big play.
    That may be true, but Steve Young stated you can't really become accurate if you are not innately an accurate passer. He stated you can improve but only to a certain extent. Apparently, becoming an accurate passer is more instinctive than taught, according Steve.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  7. #1627
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,412

    Default

    Taysom almost, almost, makes me feel guilty for watching college football. Throw away athletes bringing millions to their schools for a "free" degree. TV viewers could hear Taysom's home crowd cheer loudly for his replacement as Mangum took the field. A cheer that clearly meant "finally!". They didn't even wait for Hill and his torn elbow to get off the field. It seemed like a tidy summation of how college football treats its athletes in general.

  8. #1628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Taysom almost, almost, makes me feel guilty for watching college football. Throw away athletes bringing millions to their schools for a "free" degree. TV viewers could hear Taysom's home crowd cheer loudly for his replacement as Mangum took the field. A cheer that clearly meant "finally!". They didn't even wait for Hill and his torn elbow to get off the field. It seemed like a tidy summation of how college football treats its athletes in general.
    From my perch in the West Stands I did not hear that the same way you did.

  9. #1629
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,507

    Default

    that made me feel bad, but my mood was considerably lightened when I saw receivers go from having to make ridiculous catches-of-their-lives, to just turning and covering up the ball as it hit them in the bread basket.

  10. #1630
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    That may be true, but Steve Young stated you can't really become accurate if you are not innately an accurate passer. He stated you can improve but only to a certain extent. Apparently, becoming an accurate passer is more instinctive than taught, according Steve.
    I would agree with that assertion. However, Steve Young must have had the instinctive or accurate passing gene because he would appear to be the exception. Steve Young was not an accurate passer when he first came to BYU but was able to develop passing accuracy rather quickly. I've seen this play out with a long list of running/duel threat QBs at Nebraska. The fan expectation is that the QB will somehow develop into an accurate passer and defenses will stop loading the box or spying on the QB. It does not usually happen, passing accuracy improves only incrementally. It's not coaching either because this has played out over decades at Nebraska with different OCs and QB coaches. If Danny Langsdorf (Nebraska OC) can improve Eli Manning but not Tommy Armstrong; it's not coaching. Years ago I pointed out that I thought Taysom Hill was in the same QB genre as Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Eric Crouch and caught a lot of flack on this board for the comparison. As if comparing a BYU QB to QBs who had won national titles and a Heisman trophy was a grave insult. I didn't expect Taysom Hill to suddenly become an accurate passer because I've seen this play out before with running/dual threat QBs who had similar passing accuracy issues.

    I wonder how Steve Young was able to become the exception. My guess is that he had the gift all along and finally developed it when faced with the prospect of moving to defense.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

  11. #1631
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    that made me feel bad, but my mood was considerably lightened when I saw receivers go from having to make ridiculous catches-of-their-lives, to just turning and covering up the ball as it hit them in the bread basket.
    We are back to imaginary land, right? Because he only threw one pass.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  12. #1632
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Taysom almost, almost, makes me feel guilty for watching college football. Throw away athletes bringing millions to their schools for a "free" degree. TV viewers could hear Taysom's home crowd cheer loudly for his replacement as Mangum took the field. A cheer that clearly meant "finally!". They didn't even wait for Hill and his torn elbow to get off the field. It seemed like a tidy summation of how college football treats its athletes in general.
    Each has a different perspective. From mine, I didn't see it that way, as I felt it was, "oh no, not this way."
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  13. #1633
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I would agree with that assertion. However, Steve Young must have had the instinctive or accurate passing gene because he would appear to be the exception. Steve Young was not an accurate passer when he first came to BYU but was able to develop passing accuracy rather quickly. I've seen this play out with a long list of running/duel threat QBs at Nebraska. The fan expectation is that the QB will somehow develop into an accurate passer and defenses will stop loading the box or spying on the QB. It does not usually happen, passing accuracy improves only incrementally. It's not coaching either because this has played out over decades at Nebraska with different OCs and QB coaches. If Danny Langsdorf (Nebraska OC) can improve Eli Manning but not Tommy Armstrong; it's not coaching. Years ago I pointed out that I thought Taysom Hill was in the same QB genre as Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Eric Crouch and caught a lot of flack on this board for the comparison. As if comparing a BYU QB to QBs who had won national titles and a Heisman trophy was a grave insult. I didn't expect Taysom Hill to suddenly become an accurate passer because I've seen this play out before with running/dual threat QBs who had similar passing accuracy issues.

    I wonder how Steve Young was able to become the exception. My guess is that he had the gift all along and finally developed it when faced with the prospect of moving to defense.
    I was thinking along the same lines. But over the long run, an inaccurate passer won't become what he isn't instinctively. On the other end of the spectrum was Jake Heaps. Why he was unable to develop still baffles me, as he threw beautiful passes but couldn't read defenses.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  14. #1634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I would agree with that assertion. However, Steve Young must have had the instinctive or accurate passing gene because he would appear to be the exception. Steve Young was not an accurate passer when he first came to BYU but was able to develop passing accuracy rather quickly. I've seen this play out with a long list of running/duel threat QBs at Nebraska. The fan expectation is that the QB will somehow develop into an accurate passer and defenses will stop loading the box or spying on the QB. It does not usually happen, passing accuracy improves only incrementally. It's not coaching either because this has played out over decades at Nebraska with different OCs and QB coaches. If Danny Langsdorf (Nebraska OC) can improve Eli Manning but not Tommy Armstrong; it's not coaching. Years ago I pointed out that I thought Taysom Hill was in the same QB genre as Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Eric Crouch and caught a lot of flack on this board for the comparison. As if comparing a BYU QB to QBs who had won national titles and a Heisman trophy was a grave insult. I didn't expect Taysom Hill to suddenly become an accurate passer because I've seen this play out before with running/dual threat QBs who had similar passing accuracy issues.

    I wonder how Steve Young was able to become the exception. My guess is that he had the gift all along and finally developed it when faced with the prospect of moving to defense.
    You need to read Steve's book as he goes into detail on this.

    Steve was inaccurate because he simply didn't know how to throw. Throwing wasn't part of what he did in high school. Once he studied Jim McMahon's grip and technique everything clicked. The point is some guys have the ability even though it might be raw (like Steve) and others, no matter how hard they practice, will never be good at throwing.

  15. #1635
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We are back to imaginary land, right? Because he only threw one pass.
    And it was right on the money! Seriously, he came in cold and threw a perfect ball while running to his right for a TD.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  16. #1636
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,781

    Default

    “He looks good,” Payton said Thursday. “We like where he is at. He is grinding and working hard. You guys saw (him make) a play today. When he does get outside the pocket, he can run, real fast. That presents a new challenge for the defense.”
    “You see Aaron Rodgers and those kind of guys make plays that way. Just the ability to avoid the rush. The guy runs a sub-4.5 40, and he’s strong — he might be the strongest guy on the team.”

    The strongest guy on the team? Seriously?

    “Certainly pound for pound. He might be the strongest squatter,” Lombardi said. “The guy is a freak athlete. I’ve never seen anyone like him at this position.”
    http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...mpression=true
    Last edited by Pelado; 05-25-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  17. #1637

    Default

    It would be awesome for him to stay healthy and do something in the pro's.

  18. #1638
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,781

    Default

    https://twitter.com/boneyfuller/stat...519276032?s=19

    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  19. #1639

    Default

    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  20. #1640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    It would be awesome for him to stay healthy and do something in the pro's.
    https://twitter.com/Saints/status/1041399769325682688

  21. #1641
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,781

    Default

    https://twitter.com/BradyPoppinga/st...037107713?s=19

    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  22. #1642

    Default

    Poppinga may not have heard of Jim Thorpe or Red Grange. In any event, Taysom is very impressive in his versatility and is all sorts of fun to watch. I hope he gets a shot at QB someday.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  23. #1643
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I hope he gets a shot at QB someday.
    He manages to get behind center now and again....

    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  24. #1644
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    He manages to get behind center now and again....

    Not gonna lie, I held my breath on that horse-collar tackle. The dude is a freak athlete that suffers freak injuries.

    Glad he's okay.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  25. #1645

    Default

    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  26. #1646
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,132

    Default

    Did they have Taysom line up as a receiver in short yardage to the goal line? What a freaking luxury to have Taysom Copernicus Hill to throw in at QB on third and short. That's easy $.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  27. #1647
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Well....he definitely let the other guy trip after the dude held Taysom.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  28. #1648
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    He manages to get behind center now and again....

    Very nice.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #1649
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

  30. #1650
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,781

    Default

    Nice read - thanks.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •