Care for some Caffeine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Let me guess: they are super polarized with weirdos saying they are sad the church caved on its principles and other weirdos saying this is a nice little trivial thing, but talk to me when BYU stops persecuting the gays. Oh, social media! You're so lovable!
    No, I haven't checked in on mpfunk's response yet.

Mostly just fun banter and joking.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
      Now go and get BYU-I to partake.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
        Oh, I am. This is good news.

I will have a soda today--a rare event for me. I will do it in honor of my professor who used to keep a stash of Dr. Pepper in his office fridge.
        Next we will see green tea and maybe in a few more decades, decaffeinated coffee.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          BYU to offer caffeinated beverages on campus. Some snowflakes forming in Hell.

http://dining.byu.edu/future_dining.html
          I swear I saw regular coke at LES earlier this season.

Comment

• Progress!

I did enjoy the answer to this question:

Q: When did Dining Services make the decision not to sell caffeinated soft drinks?

A: In the mid 1950s, the director of BYU Food Services decided not to sell caffeinated soft drinks. This decision has continued on since that time. Until more recently, Dining Services rarely received requests for caffeinated soda. Consumer preferences have clearly changed and requests have become much more frequent.
            If you believe the spokesperson who responded when that vending machine was accidently stocked with caffeine a couple of years ago, those requests must have skyrocketed VERY recently.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  One thing that's so great about BYU-I is the constant desire to live a higher law. Using unassailable logic, this BYU-I professor shows us why the recent Church statement that caffeine is not addressed in the WOW is actually wrong:

Similarly, the property of “heat” in a “hot drink” has nothing to do with the physical temperature (i.e., degrees Fahrenheit) of the drink. Instead, the “heat” of a “hot drink” is a reference to the chemical properties of some of its physical ingredients—that is, caffeine, theobromine, etc. With that in mind, take a look at these interesting definitions of the words “hot” and “heat” from the Webster’s 1828 dictionary, the dictionary in use at the same time the Lord gave the revelation to Joseph Smith as recorded in D&C 89:

Definition of “Hot” (Webster’s 1828) ·

• Easily excited, eager ·
                  • Animated, brisk ·
                  • Stimulating

Definition of “Heat” (Webster’s 1828) ·

• Animal excitement; violent action or agitation of the system [or] body ·
                  • To excite; to rouse into action ·
                  • Agitate the blood and spirits with action; to excite animal action ·
                  • Ferment; [i.e.,] to set in motion; to excite internal motion; to heat; as in ferments the blood

It is evident from the above definitions that the word “hot” is probably a reference to the “stimulating” effects of the drugs found in drinks. Using that dictionary, the term “hotdrinks” could be re-written as “stimulating drinks” and have the same meaning. So, when Joseph and Hyrum Smith explained that “hot drinks” referred to “tea and coffee”, were they were simply clarifying that the word “hot” was a direct and specific reference to the “hot” stimulants found therein, and NOT the “hot” temperature of the drinks? I think so. Why have we not been taught this proper meaning of “hot”? I’m not sure; it is something of a mystery to me that we haven’t, because it seems to be so simple. Failure to do so has led to confusion, rationalization, and the loss of the Spirit for many.
                  http://www.josephsmithforum.org/rese...ord-of-wisdom/

I'm tempted to give the guy a pass for being an overzealous idiot. After all, he is from Utah County and he served a mission in Japan. That is pretty much a recipe for disaster.
                  Hey... has Jayson updated his mental gymnastics exercise about "hot drinks" and caffeine yet?

Thinking about it iced tea, for example, wasn't really around when the WoW was given (1833). It wasn't until the late 1800's and early 1900's it even became popular:

Seen as a novelty at first, during the 1870s it became quite widespread. Not only did recipes appear in print, but iced tea was offered on hotel menus, and was on sale at railroad stations. Its popularity rapidly increased after Richard Blechynden introduced it at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iced_tea

Therefore, when Hyrum Smith said that "hot drinks" referred to tea and coffee he was most likely talking about the only two hot (temperature-wise) drinks really known at the time. Jayson really needs to do a little research (something that may be a foreign concept to a BYU-I instructor) and stop drinking those carcinogenic drinks such as hot chocolate (decaffeinated, I assume).
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                  X