Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple gets $1B

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ple-v-samsung/

A jury of seven men and two women has just read the Apple v. Samsung verdict to a packed courtroom—and it was all bad news for Samsung. The Korean electronics giant has been found to infringe all of Apple's utility patents and all but one of the four design patents asserted, and was ordered to pay more than $1.05 billion in damages to Apple.

That's less than the $2.75 billion Apple asked for, but still a huge sum. If it holds up on appeal, it will stand as the largest patent verdict of all time. More importantly, it gives Apple a huge leg-up in the corporate patent wars, and immeasurably strengthens the company's negotiating position with regard to the Android phones it is struggling against.
    Apple seems to be able to do no wrong right now.

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ple-v-samsung/

Apple seems to be able to do no wrong right now.

whorey shite

Comment

I kind of feel bad for Samsung. They have really stepped up their game the last few years. I went looking for a laptop last fall, and a Samsung wasn't even on my radar, but I picked up a Series 7 and have loved it ever since.

Plus, I think the best TV's for the price out there are LG and Samsung.

Comment

It is easier to step up your game when all you have to do is imitate, not innovate.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
          I kind of feel bad for Samsung. They have really stepped up their game the last few years. I went looking for a laptop last fall, and a Samsung wasn't even on my radar, but I picked up a Series 7 and have loved it ever since.

Plus, I think the best TV's for the price out there are LG and Samsung.
          I don't feel bad for Samsung. They ripped off Apple's patents and lost.

In other news...

Samsung's counterattack against Apple, using six of its own patents, went nowhere. The jury found that Samsung's patents weren't infringed, and Samsung won't get any of the $422 million it was asking for.
          Nice.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            I don't feel bad for Samsung. They ripped off Apple's patents and lost.

In other news...

Nice.
            I don't feel bad for Samsung. I do feel bad for people that aren't happy with phones with postage stamp screens, inferior specs, ridiculous proprietary chargers, no expandable memory, etc. This is a terrible decision for consumers.

Competition is a good thing but a bad thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              I don't feel bad for Samsung. I do feel bad for people that aren't happy with phones with postage stamp screens, inferior specs, ridiculous proprietary chargers, no expandable memory, etc. This is a terrible decision for consumers.

No kidding. I love my Galaxy S II and I was going to get an S III at work as early as next week.

Comment

The $1B is not the story here. Samsung makes, what, $40B in profits annually? The real story is what happens with the proceedings that start on 09/20 and how OEMs approach their Android devises in the long run.

The secondary loser in this verdict is Google. They don't make any real money from Android, but it's a big footprint for them -one million activations/day.

Samsung will end up paying royalties to Apple on every phone sold and fight outright bans on the sale of some of its devises in the US.

They'll probably end up paying $8-10 for every unit sold. Most OEMs using Android already pay MS around $5/unit today. Pretty soon the OEMs may start looking for alternatives, as Android slides away from being a "free" OS to costing them $15-$20 per unit just in patent licensing fees.

Ironically, Windows Phone 8 may be the secondary winner from today's verdict over time.

Comment

Kind of remarkable that Samsung would need to pilfer intellectual property from such an inferior device. Go figure.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Kind of remarkable that Samsung would need to pilfer intellectual property from such an inferior device. Go figure.
                    You do realize this was Apple vs. Samsung decided by a San Jose jury.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      You do realize this was Apple vs. Samsung decided by a San Jose jury.
                      Remarkably, they just got a favorable ruling in Seoul.

Samsung is mostly losing these battles. Eight more major lawsuits in other countries.

I am not sure it is that big of a deal. So they pay apple $10-20 per phone. Is that a death sentence?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Remarkably, they just got a favorable ruling in Seoul.

Samsung is mostly losing these battles. Eight more major lawsuits in other countries.

I am not sure it is that big of a deal. So they pay apple $10-20 per phone. Is that a death sentence?
                        Except I doubt Apple will license to them. This isn't about money it is Steve Jobs absurd and irrational desire to kill Android. It is an anti competitive move and if Apple gets its way it will kill off innovation in the cellphone market.

If not for Android the iPhone 5 would have a 3.5 inch screen, no NFC, no 4g, etc.

Oh I hope you enjoy v the notification system the iPhone lifted from android.

As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Except I doubt Apple will license to them. This isn't about money it is Steve Jobs absurd and irrational desire to kill Android. It is an anti competitive move and if Apple gets its way it will kill off innovation in the cellphone market.
                          Steve Jobs is dead. I doubt Cook will keep jobs' vow of killing Android. Apple will license to them and consumers will pay $10 or so more for their cheap iPhone knockoffs which will help feed Apple's innovators to create even more exciting products for people to love.

If not for Android the iPhone 5 would have a 3.5 inch screen, no NFC, no 4g, etc.

Oh I hope you enjoy v the notification system the iPhone lifted from android.

Did Google finally get a patent on that? If so, Apple might just have to throw a nickel Google's way or maybe not. Apple is pretty careful about IP infringement. I have personally seen some good projects killed because of IP issues that have popped up.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I expected this verdict. Jury in San Jose, judge Koh presiding, foreign company vs. America's darling. I don't have an issue with the patent infringements as much as I do with the patents being valid particularly on the design side. It's a joke. The USPTO and other patent offices worldwide have caused this litigation mess.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I expected this verdict. Jury in San Jose, judge Koh presiding, foreign company vs. America's darling. I don't have an issue with the patent infringements as much as I do with the patents being valid particularly on the design side. It's a joke. The USPTO and other patent offices worldwide have caused this litigation mess.
                              There was a good Planet Money episode (maybe in conjunction with This American Life?) on patents in the computer industry. Essentially, they no longer have much to do with protecting intellectual property, and have turned into a legal game.

From the little I've read on this case, it boiled down to Apple claiming that Samsung wanted to emulate the iPhone look and design.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                              X