No announcement yet.

Being reactivated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooner, I have no idea how much of you is full of shit and how much of you is bravado.

I have mastered flying under the radar, and never experience the odd behavior you describe. I show up when I want, where I want, attend as little or as much I wish, with little inconvenient behavior by members.

I pay what I wish in donations and never have anybody question my whereabouts nor are they particularly pleased to see me. In fact, my records remain with my divorced wife's ward and nobody knows what my home ward is.

Flying under the radar is an art form. It can be perfected.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Sooner, I have no idea how much of you is full of shit and how much of you is bravado.

I have mastered flying under the radar, and never experience the odd behavior you describe. I show up when I want, where I want, attend as little or as much I wish, with little inconvenient behavior by members.

I pay what I wish in donations and never have anybody question my whereabouts nor are they particularly pleased to see me. In fact, my records remain with my divorced wife's ward and nobody knows what my home ward is.

Flying under the radar is an art form. It can be perfected.
      Why not just vanish into the blue yonder?
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I have had that huge smile and large hand moving rapidly my way. Since I stopped going to Priesthood and when I go to Sacrament it is on the back row in at the last minute and out as soon as I say amen, many old acqauintances think I am totally inactive.

Most I think are sincere in their happiness in seeing me attend. It does at times feel awkward. I used to retort with an explanation that I was there a lot more than they knew, but that got old so now I just thank them for caring and tell their wives, "no, I am not interested in attending empty nesters".

Comment

I show up when I want, where I want, attend as little or as much I wish.
          I can't tell if you're talking about church or Burger King.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Who else just shows up some evening absent appointment expecting to be received and given an audience?
            Pest control salesmen...many of whom are LDS.
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Why not just vanish into the blue yonder?
              The community has merit and hope springs eternal.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                I can't tell if you're talking about church or Burger King.
                You can have it YOUR way.

Comment

It's been my experience that if you are upfront and honest with your bishop about what contact you want from the ward, you are likely to get exactly what you ask for. Sounds like Sooner is again in a ward that is an anomaly.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    It's been my experience that if you are upfront and honest with your bishop about what contact you want from the ward, you are likely to get exactly what you ask for. Sounds like Sooner is again in a ward that is an anomaly.
                    Something in Sooner's persona attracts weirdness, or is subject to hyperbole.

Comment

Something in Sooner's persona attracts weirdness, or is subject to hyperbole.
                      Using occams razor I'd just conclude that Sooner is weird, but I still love the guy.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I don't think so at all. I think both your experience and his are typical.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          Do you think so today? It seems Sooner simply retells Mormon folklore because it lends itself so well to satire, and because it has a kernel of truth it lends itself to being believed.

Sooner is really a postmodernist Mormon satirist.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                            I don't disagree, but in his experience he has likely never asked for the visits to be curtailed or completely stopped. He just bitches and moans about them all while contemplating sending an email to the bishop.

I'm just saying that if he wants the behavior to stop he might want to be honest with the bishop about the level of contact he wants with the church. I think the bishop and RSP would be happy to know the level of contact he wants, and in fact that is probably exactly what they are trying to figure out right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                              I also frequently received emails from people asking where we would be going for Christmas and why we weren't making it to church on holidays (none of which were days off for me). The final straw for my wife was being called in by the Bishop (without me while I was working 30-hour shifts as a resident) and the bishop suggesting that we should have been paying 25,000 dollars (no joke) tithing instead of 2500. It was bad enough to be fielding questions from him about when we would be having children (none of his beeswax).
                              That sucks Sooner. I agree with you that questioning what others pay in tithing is very declasse.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                I agree with you that questioning what others pay in tithing is very declasse.
                                I think 99% of bishops in the church would also agree. Of course, sooner has had the pleasure of attending the wards of the handful of bishops who might question it.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X