Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Being reactivated

Quote Originally Posted by MindfulCoug View Post
    yeah, custom made religion. love it!
    Isn't it great? It's the Me generation at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    There isn't a religion in the world that wasn't custom made by someone, usually after they became dissatisfied with the one they had.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    There isn't a religion in the world that wasn't custom made by someone, usually after they became dissatisfied with the one they had.
    The idea of Common Consent in the church actually seems to make the LDS religion one where the people set the doctrine and beliefs. I know most members wouldn't agree, but if they reviewed our history with a skeptical mind they'd find that most of the doctrine and policies are eventually set by the large body of active members.

One example is the belief in evolution. I'd wager that most older people believe that human evolution is false, but I can specifically say that trend is turning. I'd predict that in 40 years we'll look back on the evolution teachings of JFS and BRM in the same way we look at BY's teachings on the creation. And this shift does not come from the top, but it comes from members that refuse to teach things they know are false and at some point SLC realizes this and adjusts.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Although I respect Babs taste in design but I would much rather have Oscar de la renta does the job for me.

yeah, custom made religion. love it!
    Is there a more custom-made religion than Islam?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

The Gospel is there to be custom-made, folks. The Church is just a vehicle.

Sooner, I think you like the fuss.

Mindful is back!

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Almost certainly.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Please don't attack her religion.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Please don't attack her religion.
    Very funny SU. Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Almost certainly.
    Well, its not a secret that I want that title badly, but I should let you guys grasp the opportunity and claim your right to the top of the chart as the world is coming to know Mormonism by M R as the next POTUS.

Good to have you back, Mindful. Don't be such a stranger.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thanks Dude! I got Seattleute to have my back.

What we're talking about here is the failure to observe the normal boundaries most adults have. Mormonism, with good intentions, encourages people to ignore them.

Could have shut down this thread after this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    D'accord. Seeing you (Mindful) post again put a on my face.

Joycelyn Elders Supporter SoonerCoug's Avatar

Thanks Dude! I got Seattleute to have my back.
    Iranian women are not supposed to use words like dude.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Pre-Historic Man

Thanks. I am honored to have won avatar of the year award back on CG.
    All religious experience is custom made. That is the ultimate lesson of Joseph Smith. Conformity to autocratic demands may be the essence experience for the unmindful.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
    Hey!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Except when they face "the dude". That's why you haven't heard me using the word talking to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    All religious experience is custom made. That is the ultimate lesson of Joseph Smith. Conformity to autocratic demands may be the essence experience for the unmindful.
    You seem not to be so concerned about your appearance. If someone is going to help me look my best, it would n't be just any one. It must be Oscar de la renta. And I would agree to follow his "autocratic" demands.

Pre-Historic Man

You seem not to be so concerned about your appearance. If someone is going to help me look my best, it would n't be just any one. It must be Oscar de la renta. And I would agree to follow his "autocratic" demands.
    "my appearance" is internal, and cannot be examined a la a mode from Paris. Leading comes from Allah and all others a re fraudulent before the one and only true God.

"my appearance" is internal, and cannot be examined a la a mode from Paris. Leading comes from Allah and all others a re fraudulent before the one and only true God.
    Your satire style sounds awfully familiar. But I should let you enjoy the CUF provided anonymity.

I am happy for you that your built-in authority can manage your internal and external businesses, but I, on the other hand, am in favor of expertism. Can't take the risk of messing up the life I have been given the chance to live just for once.

Throughout history, Iran/Persia has provided the world with people willing to break a rule or two.

Zoroaster.
    Cyrus the Great.
    Omar Khayyam.
    Mindful Coug.

I always enjoy hearing from mindful.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Throughout history, Iran/Persia has provided the world with people willing to break a rule or two.

Zoroaster.
    Cyrus the Great.
    Omar Khayyam.
    Mindful Coug.

I always enjoy hearing from mindful.
    It's a relief that three people above me can not read your post!

You are an excellent ego booster by the way. Thank you

Here is a solo song for you Solon.

[youtube]prM_XKrslGI&feature[/youtube]

PS: The poet is rahy moayeri and I am a little doubtful that English translater has done justice to the the original song.

Pre-Historic Man

Your satire style sounds awfully familiar. But I should let you enjoy the CUF provided anonymity.

I am happy for you that your built-in authority can manage your internal and external businesses, but I, on the other hand, am in favor of expertism. Can't take the risk of messing up the life I have been given the chance to live just for once.
    You risk relying upon "experts" as opposed to God's wisdom he provides to you. As for me and my kin, I rely upon God's inspiration, not the foibles of men. Internally, I claim no authority but for myself.

You Shia rely upon more than the Prophet and in that you err.

You risk relying upon "experts" as opposed to God's wisdom he provides to you. As for me and my kin, I rely upon God's inspiration, not the foibles of men. Internally, I claim no authority but for myself.

You Shia rely upon more than the Prophet and in that you err.
    You claim to know everything and need nothing. Wise indeed!

Joycelyn Elders Supporter SoonerCoug's Avatar

The relief society president just texted my wife. They will not give up.

RS president is asking her if she is out of town for the summer even though she hasn't been in 5 months.

My wife sent me this response, which she probably won't actually send to the RS president:

No. I am in town. After such a long absence, I should think you'd have realized by now that I've gone inactive. I know you have a job to do and people to report to, but I think it's best if you just leave this one alone. Take care.
    Last edited by SoonerCoug; 08-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

The relief society president just texted my wife. They will not give up.

RS president is asking her if she is out of town for the summer even though she hasn't been in 5 months.

My wife sent me this response, which she probably won't actually send to the RS president:

No. I am in town. After such a long absence, I should think you'd have realized by now that I've gone inactive. I know you have a job to do and people to report to, but I think it's best if you just leave this one alone. Take care.
    This kind of thing bothers me because when I stopped going to Church nobody really pestered me to come back. If everybody else gets begged to come back to Church except me, I'm a little miffed.

When the RSP asked my wife about coming to church, my wife simply told her no she would not be going.

Instead of keeping them guessing telling them straight seemed to work well for us.

We haven't been bothered much since (except for the missionaries which they told us was a random get to know the neighbors visit.)

Pre-Historic Man

You claim to know everything and need nothing. Wise indeed!
    I need nothing from man, something from woman, but everything from G-d. He or she who relies upon the arm of man shall fail.

I need nothing from man, something from woman, but everything from G-d. He or she who relies upon the arm of man shall fail.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied