Being reactivated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I don't care whether SoonerCoug attends church but last week on KSL, there was a special interest piece about two LDS missionaries that were serving in Russia a decade or so ago. These two were kidnapped and held for ransom. All these B-level politicos got involved and eventually the missionaries were released, only slightly harmed. I think they may have been punched or kicked. Anyhow, KSL picked up the trail a decade later to show us how well the elders were doing.

These are the exact types of stories that Soonercoug often invents, so part of me wondered if one of these missionaries was SoonerCoug. However, per the story, the missionaries were able to win over their captors by sharing the gospel and their testimonies with them, so I knew immediately that neither of them was SoonerCoug.
    I was there when this happened. The kidnappers were members of the Church, or at least that was the word. Did they mention that on KSL? Probably not. Speaks volumes.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
      I was there when this happened. The kidnappers were members of the Church, or at least that was the word. Did they mention that on KSL? Probably not. Speaks volumes.
      Yes, they did mention that one of the kidnappers was a member of the church.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Yes, they did mention that one of the kidnappers was a member of the church.
        OK. But sharing this little tidbit probably required special approval from the Q of the 12. I rank KSL and DesNews somewhere between North Korean and Russia medai outlets as far as unbiased reporting.
        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

Comment

KSL mentioned that the kidnappers were posing as investigators and that the missionaries were there under the pretext of teaching them a discussion. In the current day interviews, one of the elders claimed that he "wouldn't change a thing" and that the kidnapping has made him who he is today.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21739642

I think heavenly father was protecting you. Given what those two missionaries did to escape, you most likely wouldn't have survived.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

OK. But sharing this little tidbit probably required special approval from the Q of the 12. I rank KSL and DesNews somewhere between North Korean and Russia medai outlets as far as unbiased reporting.
            I agree. If it puts the church, ksl or the dnews in a negative light, it probably happened.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

KSL mentioned that the kidnappers were posing as investigators and that the missionaries were there under the pretext of teaching them a discussion. In the current day interviews, one of the elders claimed that he "wouldn't change a thing" and that the kidnapping has made him who he is today.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21739642

I think heavenly father was protecting you. Given what those two missionaries did to escape, you most likely wouldn't have survived.
              Unfortunately God did not protect Elder MacKintosh, who was stabbed and murdered in my mission.

Comment

In reading that KSL link, it has dawned on me that shortly after SoonerCoug left Russia, his mission became the highest baptizing mission in Europe.

sigpic

Comment

In reading that KSL link, it has dawned on me that shortly after SoonerCoug left Russia, his mission became the highest baptizing mission in Europe.
                  It was actually while I was AP that it was the highest baptizing mission in Europe.

Comment

It was actually while I was AP that it was the highest baptizing mission in Europe.
                    Have you returned to Russia to spread the bad news?
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Same diff. Either way, you were out of the field. Speaks volumes.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        Have you returned to Russia to spread the bad news?
                        Yes I have. I went last year. The first chapel in the city was built in my area--immediately next to my old apartment. I returned to that place and took some really great photos of some kids smoking on the chapel steps.

I spent my entire mission in the same branch. They never transferred me.

Comment

Yes I have. I went last year. The first chapel in the city was built in my area--immediately next to my old apartment. I returned to that place and took some really great photos of some kids smoking on the chapel steps.

I spent my entire mission in the same branch. They never transferred me.
                          Smart Mission President. Limit the collateral damage.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Unfortunately God did not protect Elder MacKintosh, who was stabbed and murdered in my mission.
                            I served with his brother.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                              Smart Mission President. Limit the collateral damage.
                              The poor mission president was driven to an early grave, apparently. I'm not surprised.

sigpic

Comment

The poor mission president was driven to an early grave, apparently. I'm not surprised.
                                He died of a horrible asthma attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X