Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Being reactivated

Joycelyn Elders Supporter SoonerCoug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I don't care whether SoonerCoug attends church but last week on KSL, there was a special interest piece about two LDS missionaries that were serving in Russia a decade or so ago. These two were kidnapped and held for ransom. All these B-level politicos got involved and eventually the missionaries were released, only slightly harmed. I think they may have been punched or kicked. Anyhow, KSL picked up the trail a decade later to show us how well the elders were doing.

These are the exact types of stories that Soonercoug often invents, so part of me wondered if one of these missionaries was SoonerCoug. However, per the story, the missionaries were able to win over their captors by sharing the gospel and their testimonies with them, so I knew immediately that neither of them was SoonerCoug.
    I was there when this happened. The kidnappers were members of the Church, or at least that was the word. Did they mention that on KSL? Probably not. Speaks volumes.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
    I was there when this happened. The kidnappers were members of the Church, or at least that was the word. Did they mention that on KSL? Probably not. Speaks volumes.
    Yes, they did mention that one of the kidnappers was a member of the church.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Yes, they did mention that one of the kidnappers was a member of the church.
    OK. But sharing this little tidbit probably required special approval from the Q of the 12. I rank KSL and DesNews somewhere between North Korean and Russia medai outlets as far as unbiased reporting.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

KSL mentioned that the kidnappers were posing as investigators and that the missionaries were there under the pretext of teaching them a discussion. In the current day interviews, one of the elders claimed that he "wouldn't change a thing" and that the kidnapping has made him who he is today.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21739642

I think heavenly father was protecting you. Given what those two missionaries did to escape, you most likely wouldn't have survived.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

OK. But sharing this little tidbit probably required special approval from the Q of the 12. I rank KSL and DesNews somewhere between North Korean and Russia medai outlets as far as unbiased reporting.
    I agree. If it puts the church, ksl or the dnews in a negative light, it probably happened.

KSL mentioned that the kidnappers were posing as investigators and that the missionaries were there under the pretext of teaching them a discussion. In the current day interviews, one of the elders claimed that he "wouldn't change a thing" and that the kidnapping has made him who he is today.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21739642

I think heavenly father was protecting you. Given what those two missionaries did to escape, you most likely wouldn't have survived.
    Unfortunately God did not protect Elder MacKintosh, who was stabbed and murdered in my mission.

In reading that KSL link, it has dawned on me that shortly after SoonerCoug left Russia, his mission became the highest baptizing mission in Europe.

In reading that KSL link, it has dawned on me that shortly after SoonerCoug left Russia, his mission became the highest baptizing mission in Europe.
    It was actually while I was AP that it was the highest baptizing mission in Europe.

It was actually while I was AP that it was the highest baptizing mission in Europe.
    Have you returned to Russia to spread the bad news?
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Same diff. Either way, you were out of the field. Speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    Have you returned to Russia to spread the bad news?
    Yes I have. I went last year. The first chapel in the city was built in my area--immediately next to my old apartment. I returned to that place and took some really great photos of some kids smoking on the chapel steps.

I spent my entire mission in the same branch. They never transferred me.

Yes I have. I went last year. The first chapel in the city was built in my area--immediately next to my old apartment. I returned to that place and took some really great photos of some kids smoking on the chapel steps.

I spent my entire mission in the same branch. They never transferred me.
    Smart Mission President. Limit the collateral damage.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Unfortunately God did not protect Elder MacKintosh, who was stabbed and murdered in my mission.
    I served with his brother.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    Smart Mission President. Limit the collateral damage.
    The poor mission president was driven to an early grave, apparently. I'm not surprised.

The poor mission president was driven to an early grave, apparently. I'm not surprised.
    He died of a horrible asthma attack.

Banned

I have recently begun showing up at church. I have little shared beliefs but I enjoy feeling the consistency of my upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I enjoy feeling the consistency of my upbringing.
    [YOUTUBE]diT3FvDHMyo[/YOUTUBE]
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I have recently begun showing up at church. I have little shared beliefs but I enjoy feeling the consistency of my upbringing.
    Have you been texted at 6am yet?

Let us know when the bishop calls you in and tells you how much tithing you should be paying.

Banned

You clearly did not overlap with me and my leadership of the mighty, highest-baptizing-in-Europe, portugal lisboa missão sul...I personally averaged mor baptisms per month for a six month stretch than the losers in missão Lisboa norte.

You clearly did not overlap with me and my leadership of the mighty, highest-baptizing-in-Europe, portugal lisboa missão sul...I personally averaged mor baptisms per month for a six month stretch than the losers in missão Lisboa norte.
    what years were you in that mission? one of my best friends served there. He also spent time in Cabo Verde.

Just to provide some context for everyone:

Levin, Majo, and I were best friends in high school. We were also co-valedictorians (although I at least one more AP class than the others). Levin is the only one who still goes to church, but I predict his apostasy.
    99.99% sure that's never gonna happen. Can't deny the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.

A bit off topic but I find it strange that so many inactives or apostates talk about their mission performances so many years later. I'm not limiting that to CUF nor am I picking on just the two of you by the way.

In my experiences with apostate siblings and friends it seems to be a recurring theme; whether it's recounting the number of baptisms they had or how strictly they followed the rules or how much their mission president loved them, etc. It's odd considering their otherwise indifference to the church.

Banned

what years were you in that mission? one of my best friends served there. He also spent time in Cabo Verde.
    I was there too. 91-93

I was there too. 91-93
    you two overlapped. he was there 90-92.

Banned

you two overlapped. he was there 90-92.
    Elder Green? Thats what all missionaries were called in CV in the early days bc he was one of the first

You're the one, sooner, you're the one.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Elder Green? Thats what all missionaries were called in CV in the early days bc he was one of the first
    No, my friend was not Elder Green.

He died of a horrible asthma attack.
    We had a GA come to our stake a few years back who spoke a lot about Russia and loved to say Vladivostok. He told us that several Russian mission presidents had died young and that it may well have been because Russian speakers who were strong in the gospel were needed to teach in the spirit world. He was not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    We had a GA come to our stake a few years back who spoke a lot about Russia and loved to say Vladivostok. He told us that several Russian mission presidents had died young and that it may well have been because Russian speakers who were strong in the gospel were needed to teach in the spirit world. He was not joking.
    you can't be serious.

On second thought, this type story is entirely appropriate, even necessary, for a thread that Sooner started.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius