The Official Mike Trout Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Mike Trout Thread

I've got to admit, I've got a mancrush on Mike Trout. Bear in mind, I may live in Orange County, but I'm a Braves fan, not an Angels fan. I am, however, a lifelong baseball fan, and to me, Mike Trout is one of the most exciting players to come along in my memory.

I'm particularly informed of his day-to-day performance, because I'm in a dynasty keeper fantasy baseball league where we simply keep our rosters from year to year; we just pick up free agents as they become available. Last year, I discovered Trout was a free agent in my league, so I picked him up and allowed him to take up a roster spot for most of the year. (I was able to do the same thing with Bryce Harper - the future is bright for my team - unfortunately, I missed out on McCutchen).

To think that this is a 20-year-old kid leading the AL in batting average, runs, and steals, and in addition is second in the league in slugging percentage, just blows my mind. He could have 30 home runs and 70 steals this season, even though he didn't get called up until about game 20. Imagine if he improves at all after this season.

Unless he goes into a prolonged slump over the next two months (which would be a first for this season), he's going to run away with the MVP. He'll be only the third rookie in history to accomplish this (Fred Lynn and Ichiro are the others).

Ichiro won ROY and MVP with a .350 BA, 242 hits, 127 R, 8 HR, 56 SB, and .457 slugging percentage, in 157 games. Trout sits right now with a .347 BA, 119 hits, 84 R, 19 HR, 33 SB, and .603 slugging percentage - in 84 games.

The Angels have 55 games left. If Trout plays in all the games, he would project to the following stats: .347 BA, 197 hits, 139 R, 31 HR, 55 SB, and .603 slugging percentage. There's no contest between Trout and Ichiro, who many have considered to have one of the greatest rookie seasons for a hitter.

Consider this: if you project Trout's numbers out to the same 157 games Ichiro played in his rookie season, Trout's line would look like this: .347 BA, 222 hits, 157 R, 36 HR, 62 SB, and a .603 slugging percentage.

Now compare that to Albert Pujols' 2008 (2nd MVP) season: .357 BA, 187 hits, 100 R, 37 HR, 7 SB, and a .653 slugging percentage in 148 games played. Trout's rookie year compares favorably to an 8th year veteran (then-) two-time NL MVP, who is considered one of the best hitters of his generation, if not of all time.

Even McCutchen, the NL's wunderkind, is a 4th year veteran whose previous season-highs were .286 BA, 23 HR, and .471 slugging percentage.

Could you imagine in a few years having Trout hit .400 with 40 HRs and 60 SB? Ted Williams, the last player to hit .400, had "only" a .327 BA his rookie year. In fact, in looking at Ted Williams' season stats, Trout's stats resemble Williams', except that Williams never stole more than 4 bases in a season.

This kid is having an incredible rookie season, with no indications that it's a fluke. He tore it up at every level in the minors, and he hasn't shown any sign of struggling here in the majors (well, he started a little slow for a couple of weeks when he was called up this season). I'm going to make sure I take my boys to some Angels games this year, so they can perhaps brag to their grandchildren that they saw Mike Trout play as a rookie.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

One more thing - here are career season averages based on 162 game season:

Ted Williams: .344 BA, .482 OBP, .634 SLG, 1.116 OPS, 188 H, 37 2B, 37 HR, 5 3B, 143 BB, 127 R, 130 RBI, 2 SB.

Mike Trout*: .347 BA, .408 OBP, .603 SLG, 1.012 OPS, 229 H, 41 2B, 37 HR, 10 3B, 69 BB, 162 R, 110 RBI, 64 SB.

Imagine if Trout learns a little more plate discipline and develops just a little more power - both things that are common as players develop in the major leagues.

*I did ignore the stats from last season, as over a career, they would have no significant effect on Trout's numbers, if you accept the premise that his ability is fairly reflected in this season's numbers.

Also, Ted Williams had career-high numbers only in doubles and triples during his rookie season. I think it's fair to assume (if he keeps up this pace during the rest of the season) that Trout's numbers do not reflect his absolute ceiling over his MLB career. Scary.
    Last edited by SoCalCoug; 08-04-2012, 02:29 AM.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
      One more thing - here are career season averages based on 162 game season:

Ted Williams: .344 BA, .482 OBP, .634 SLG, 1.116 OPS, 188 H, 37 2B, 37 HR, 5 3B, 143 BB, 127 R, 130 RBI, 2 SB.

Mike Trout*: .347 BA, .408 OBP, .603 SLG, 1.012 OPS, 229 H, 41 2B, 37 HR, 10 3B, 69 BB, 162 R, 110 RBI, 64 SB.

Imagine if Trout learns a little more plate discipline and develops just a little more power - both things that are common as players develop in the major leagues.

*I did ignore the stats from last season, as over a career, they would have no significant effect on Trout's numbers, if you accept the premise that his ability is fairly reflected in this season's numbers.

Also, Ted Williams had career-high numbers only in doubles and triples during his rookie season. I think it's fair to assume (if he keeps up this pace during the rest of the season) that Trout's numbers do not reflect his absolute ceiling over his MLB career. Scary.

This all should be in the Anaheim Angels in the outfield thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        This all should be in the Anaheim Angels in the outfield thread.
        Mike Trout needs his own thread. He is incredible.
        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
          Mike Trout needs his own thread. He is incredible.
          How dare you, The angels are also incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            How dare you, The angels are also incredible.
            They are incredible because of Mike Trout.
            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

And nary a mention of the great defense he plays in center.

[YOUTUBE]bkoblK2m-U4[/YOUTUBE]

I'm telling you, this kid was created in a lab. He's one of the most perfect baseball players I've ever seen.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                And nary a mention of the great defense he plays in center.

[YOUTUBE]bkoblK2m-U4[/YOUTUBE]

I'm telling you, this kid was created in a lab. He's one of the most perfect baseball players I've ever seen.
                He's the Ivan Drago of baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                  He's the Ivan Drago of baseball.
                  and we all know how that ended.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

3 stolen bases tonight in a huge game against the A's. Impressive.

Comment

To let you know how much I follow baseball these days I believe it was the All-Star game that I first heard his name mentioned.

(I haven't watched SportsCenter in months)
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        To let you know how much I follow baseball these days I believe it was the All-Star game that I first heard his name mentioned.

(I haven't watched SportsCenter in months)
                        I haven't actively watched sportscenter in over a year, and I know what Trout is accomplishing.
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

For someone like me who doesn't watch much baseball until mid-September, who is the better prospect - Mike Trout or Bryce Harper?

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                            For someone like me who doesn't watch much baseball until mid-September, who is the better prospect - Mike Trout or Bryce Harper?
                            Prospect? That is tough. Trout wasn't very impressive during his call up last year when he was Bryce's age. Even during winter league (I think he was playing hurt though) Bryce IIRC outplayed him. This year he has blown up though. I mean this is a career season he's having in an official rookie year. Bryce has that same potential and has shown it at times. They're both can't miss guys IMO.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              Well that's the question, isn't it? Depends on who you ask. Each was ranked either 1 or 2 by varying scouting services.

I know Trout didn't show last year in his first call up like Harper has this year (despite the fact that Harper seems to be on a big slide right now), but I think even next year Harper would be hard-pressed to have a season like Trout this year.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X