Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet Ted Cruz: Tea Party darling, Princeton / Harvard grad, son of a Cuban immigrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
    Why is it slimy? I get that you wouldn't buy the book because it is written by ghostwriters, but if someone buys the book and likes it....then they got what they paid for. If they don't then these ghostwritten books will stop.
    Duh. Making a buck off of the gullible public through a deceptive process.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Meh, what's the big deal....if people are happy with the book then who cares?

Comment

Why do you care if some of us find the whole process slimy?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Isn't that the idea of free enterprise?
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Agreed. Also, if the people or their property aren't being harmed, as well.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

When I become rich and famous I am writing my own boring, self-aggrandizing book, dammit.

Comment

Thats capitalism!
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

When I become rich and famous I am writing my own boring, self-aggrandizing book, dammit.
                  I will buy a copy and send it to DDD.
                  One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                  SU

Comment

Tom Phillips? Is that you?
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                      I will buy a copy and send it to DDD.
                      won't read it.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Why do you care if some of us find the whole process slimy?
                        I don't care very much, but wish to understand the thought process of why you would care.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Agreed. Also, if the people or their property aren't being harmed, as well.
                          Yep, that is kind of the point.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            won't read it.
                            I know, but it is the thought that counts.
                            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                            SU

Comment

I don't care very much, but wish to understand the thought process of why you would care.
                              Well, I guess I don't feel too sorry for the chumps that buy these books. And I certainly don't believe anyone is breaking any laws. I just find the whole process kind of shallow and artificial.

First meeting between celeb and ghostwriter:

Celeb: "Hey, thanks for coming over. So I want you to write a book for me."
                              GW: "No problem. You got a topic in mind?"
                              Celeb: "I don't know, I was thinking something about the liberal media."
                              GW: "That has kind of played out. How about something on the evils of ObamaCare? That is red meat these days. Assuming we act quickly."
                              Celeb: "Great idea! Let's go with that."
                              GW: "Any preference on content?"
                              Celeb: "Nah. Just use the standard talking points and make shit up when you need to. These people just after confirmation bias anyway."
                              GW: "Got it."
                              Celeb: "And whatever you do, don't put your name anywhere on the cover or inside the book. I want people to think I wrote this."
                              GW: "No problem. That is standard procedure. Any preference on length?"
                              Celeb: "Not too long. I hate long books."
                              GW: "OK. 250 pages maybe?"
                              Celeb: "Perfect. Can you have this done in two months? I want to start pimping it on my talk show. Build up the pre-orders."
                              GW: "Consider it done."

Hooray for capitalism!

Comment

Yeah, I saw a program recently on the ghostwriting industry. Sometimes they will do the entire book for as little as $50K. They sit down with the "author" to get a feel for the general message or story they want conveyed in the book and off they go. Sometimes the author reviews the work as they go and offers feedback, but in many cases they just skim through it when it is all written.
                                Do you remember the name of the program? I want to watch that.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X