Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet Ted Cruz: Tea Party darling, Princeton / Harvard grad, son of a Cuban immigrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Why would it be cool to have a fiscally responsible, but socially liberal party? Is it possible to be fiscally responsible and socially liberal?
    http://www.lp.org

Although the Libertarians prefer "fiscally conservative and socially responsible".
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-30-2013, 04:16 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
      Why would it be cool to have a fiscally responsible, but socially liberal party? Is it possible to be fiscally responsible and socially liberal?
      I find it hard to believe that people can be for less government involvement in our every day life and still be okay with being socially conservative. Doesn't make logical sense to me.

Comment

Sean Penn has a plan to deal with Ted Cruz and the rest of the tea partiers:

Sean Penn: Commit tea partyers, Ted Cruz ‘by executive order’

If it weren’t for the tea party, Congress would work well, Hollywood actor Sean Penn said during a recent appearance on CNN with host Piers Morgan. And he also said tea partyers should be forcibly committed for mental health treatment.

Really, the tea party is to blame for nearly all of the issues facing Congress, he said, as Politico reported.

“I think they have — there’s a mental health problem in Congress,” Mr. Penn said. “This would be solved by committing them by executive order, I think. Because these are our American brothers and sisters, we shouldn’t be criticizing them, attacking them. … This is a cry for help.

Mr. Morgan encouraged Mr. Penn to continue: “You literally commit what, people like Ted Cruz?”

And Mr. Penn’s reply, as Politico reported: “He is my American brother. I think we should take care of him, he is in trouble.”
        [...]
        http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2jWOAetQ0
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Holy crap...

Blockbuster book deal for Ted Cruz; $1.5m advance, bigger than Sarah Palin's

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, a darling of the Tea Party and conservative movement, has agreed to write a personal memoir about his controversial days in Washington and his vision for the future for HarperCollins, according to publishing sources.

The first term Cruz is expected to receive an advance close to $1.5 million after a four-day book auction last weekend, easily winning the authorship primary over several others penning pre-presidential primary books including Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

[…]

Recent reported and estimated book advances for conservatives

Sen. Marco Rubio — $800,000

Mike Huckabee — $800,000

Sen. Rand Paul — $300-400,000 (est.)

Gov. Scott Walker — $340,000

Tim Pawlenty — $340,000

Newt Gingrich — $400,000

Gov. Bobby Jindal — $50,000-100,000

Sen. John McCain — $500,000

Sarah Palin — $1.25 million
          http://washingtonexaminer.com/articl...pI9DMZ.twitter

Who buys these books?
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Crazy people.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

This dynamic may be best illustrated by the quadrennial scramble in publishing to sign prospective presidential candidates, who are bound by tradition to write an autobiographical manifesto ahead of the election. The casual Barnes & Noble browser is unlikely to have ever purchased one of these books — almost nobody does — but he will recognize the subgenre by its uniform covers: the patriotic color scheme, the besuited politician striking a square-shouldered pose, the author’s name and title stamped across the dust jacket in imposing, all-caps lettering. Inside, the books follow a well-worn formula, lacing lofty talking points and vaguely drawn policy proposals with a sanitized personal narrative that reads as though it has been vetted by a thousand political operatives and stripped down to a fourth-grade reading level.
              http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins...f-a-publishing
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Cruz to the future II?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/161953...&robot_redir=1
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

While I do not own any of the books listed above, I will admit to owning a copy of "A Mormon in the White House?," which was gifted to me by my FIL a few years ago. I never read it.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Who is dumb enough to give Cruz a $1.5mm advance on a book that no one buys? Well played, Senator Cruz, well played.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The funny (sad?) thing is that almost all of these books are written by ghostwriters. You make the book deal and then hire someone to write it for you. In most cases, the ghostwriters aren't even acknowledged. It is a slimy business.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        The funny (sad?) thing is that almost all of these books are written by ghostwriters. You make the book deal and then hire someone to write it for you. In most cases, the ghostwriters aren't even acknowledged. It is a slimy business.
                        And Senator Cruz doesn't even have to write the book. I need to run for public office.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

sounds a lot like the whole legislative process.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

And Senator Cruz doesn't even have to write the book. I need to run for public office.
                            Yeah, I saw a program recently on the ghostwriting industry. Sometimes they will do the entire book for as little as $50K. They sit down with the "author" to get a feel for the general message or story they want conveyed in the book and off they go. Sometimes the author reviews the work as they go and offers feedback, but in many cases they just skim through it when it is all written.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              sounds a lot like the whole legislative process.
                              But, voting is very important!
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Why is it slimy? I get that you wouldn't buy the book because it is written by ghostwriters, but if someone buys the book and likes it....then they got what they paid for. If they don't then these ghostwritten books will stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X