Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meet Ted Cruz: Tea Party darling, Princeton / Harvard grad, son of a Cuban immigrant

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Do you remember the name of the program? I want to watch that.
    No, sorry. It has been 2-3 years.

It was fascinating. They interviewed ghostwriters and they told some amazing stories. My fake dialogue shown above is not far-fetched at all. You also got the sense that they often ended up hating and being repulsed by the celebs in the process. At the same time, some of them seemed to take a lot of pride in their work. "I can't tell you the names of the books, but I have written X books that have been top-sellers."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Hey, wait a minute. It just occurred to me that many top-level GAs churn out book after book for sale via Deseret Book. All this while having incredibly busy schedules. I wonder...? (shudder)
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Well, I guess I don't feel too sorry for the chumps that buy these books. And I certainly don't believe anyone is breaking any laws. I just find the whole process kind of shallow and artificial.

First meeting between celeb and ghostwriter:

Celeb: "Hey, thanks for coming over. So I want you to write a book for me."
    GW: "No problem. You got a topic in mind?"
    Celeb: "I don't know, I was thinking something about the liberal media."
    GW: "That has kind of played out. How about something on the evils of ObamaCare? That is red meat these days. Assuming we act quickly."
    Celeb: "Great idea! Let's go with that."
    GW: "Any preference on content?"
    Celeb: "Nah. Just use the standard talking points and make shit up when you need to. These people just after confirmation bias anyway."
    GW: "Got it."
    Celeb: "And whatever you do, don't put your name anywhere on the cover or inside the book. I want people to think I wrote this."
    GW: "No problem. That is standard procedure. Any preference on length?"
    Celeb: "Not too long. I hate long books."
    GW: "OK. 250 pages maybe?"
    Celeb: "Perfect. Can you have this done in two months? I want to start pimping it on my talk show. Build up the pre-orders."
    GW: "Consider it done."

Hooray for capitalism!
    I guess for me, as far as a book goes, I am looking for entertainment or knowledge. I don't believe either of those is enhanced by the person's name on the book.

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    I guess for me, as far as a book goes, I am looking for entertainment or knowledge. I don't believe either of those is enhanced by the person's name on the book.
    Teriffic. I will write a book that will be both entertaining and informative. Since that's your main criteria for book buying, I'm sure you'll be interested. Would you like to pre-order now?
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Hey, wait a minute. It just occurred to me that many top-level GAs churn out book after book for sale via Deseret Book. All this while having incredibly busy schedules. I wonder...? (shudder)
    Hmmmmmmmmm
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I was at Des Book, not bragging just stating facts, about a week after GC a couple of years ago and the girl was pimping some new book by a Q12 very hard. I said "if there was anything really important in there I assume he'd have mentioned it over the weekend." She was not sure how to respond.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    Teriffic. I will write a book that will be both entertaining and informative. Since that's your main criteria for book buying, I'm sure you'll be interested. Would you like to pre-order now?
    Depends.....I am not going to take your word for it that the book is informative or entertaining. Prove it, and then maybe I will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I was at Des Book, not bragging just stating facts
    lol.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Ted Cruz says:

“This year, I’m sorry to tell you, the United States Senate is going to be voting on a constitutional amendment to repeal the First Amendment,” Cruz said, to the audible shock of the crowd.
    http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014-...nt-this-year#1
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Ted Cruz does not have a problem stretching the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    Ya, talk about being so full of shit.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Ted Cruz does not The Harvard grads don't have a problem stretching the truth.
    FIFY for the general case...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Ya, talk about being so full of shit.
    Looks like Ted was right to a certain point.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...dment-i/print/

Looks like Ted was right to a certain point.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...dment-i/print/
    Damn that Ted Cruz! He even wrote an op ed on the subject for the WSJ:

The Democratic Assault on the First Amendment

For two centuries there has been bipartisan agreement that American democracy depends on free speech. Alas, more and more, the modern Democratic Party has abandoned that commitment and has instead been trying to regulate the speech of the citizenry.

We have seen President Obama publicly rebuke the Supreme Court for protecting free speech in Citizens United v. FEC; the Obama IRS inquire of citizens what books they are reading and what is the content of their prayers; the Federal Communications Commission proposing to put government monitors in newsrooms; and Sen. Harry Reid regularly slandering private citizens on the Senate floor for their political speech.

But just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. Senate Democrats have promised a vote this year on a constitutional amendment to expressly repeal the free-speech protections of the First Amendment.

You read that correctly. Forty-one Democrats have signed on to co-sponsor New Mexico Sen. Tom Udall's proposed amendment to give Congress plenary power to regulate political speech. The text of the amendment says that Congress could regulate "the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to federal elections." The amendment places no limitations whatsoever on Congress's new power.

Two canards are put forth to justify this broad authority. First, "money is not speech." And second, "corporations have no free speech rights."
    [...]
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/ted-c...ent-1401662112
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I am not a fan of all the money in politics. However, I firmly believe the democrats have such a huge inherent advantage that if you eliminated or limited political contributions the republicans would be in real trouble.

The dems have the press behind them for the most part. Talk about a total freebie and how much do you think that is worth in dollars? You also have the labor unions not only with money, but their ability to organize and get members out to vote.

Corporate dollars going to mainly to republicans is a farce in my opinion. I guess it depends on how you define mainly, but I would guess the split isn't anymore than 60/40 if that.

The main problem though is the liberal press. Without political contributions, their power to control especially national elections will be a boon to the dems.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Damn that Ted Cruz! He even wrote an op ed on the subject for the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ted-c...ent-1401662112
    Why is this outrageous? The amendment has no chance of passing. Doesn't something like this require a buttload of the states to ratify? I highly doubt they have anywhere near the support to even get half the states to ratify.....especially given that in general more states are red than blue.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Why is this outrageous? The amendment has no chance of passing. Doesn't something like this require a buttload of the states to ratify? I highly doubt they have anywhere near the support to even get half the states to ratify.....especially given that in general more states are red than blue.
    Yup, right there in the constitution: Amendments are ratified upon the concurring vote of a butt load of states.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

You are right, it won't pass....the outrage may be that you have 41 democrats who support such a measure.

You are right, it won't pass....the outrage may be that you have 41 democrats who support such a measure.
    True and another situation Dirty Harry is front and center on. He has now become the person I think of when anyone utters jackass out of their mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Yup, right there in the constitution: Amendments are ratified upon the concurring vote of a butt load of states.
    So, 3/4 of 57 states means 43 states are needed to ratify, right? That does sound like a butt load.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakoma View Post
    So, 3/4 of 57 states means 43 states are needed to ratify, right? That does sound like a butt load.
    I've never had more than a handful of states in my butt at one time, so it actually sounds like multiple butt loads.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I've never had more than a handful of states in my butt at one time, so it actually sounds like multiple butt loads.
    I don't know man, I have heard you have a lot of junk in that trunk of yours.

Cruz gives up his citizenship... his Canadian citizenship:

Canada-born U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz has made good on a promise to renounce his birth country's citizenship — doing so amid speculation he could make a run at the White House in 2016.
    [...]
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/art...ip-5542984.php

I thought one had to be a "natural born citizen" to make a run for the white house? So does that mean that one born by C-Section can never be president?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Cruz gives up his citizenship... his Canadian citizenship:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/art...ip-5542984.php

I thought one had to be a "natural born citizen" to make a run for the white house? So does that mean that one born by C-Section can never be president?
    I won't vote for him until I see a birth certificate

Rafael Cruz was booed off the stage:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/10/te...ference-video/

https://www.facebook.com/tedcruzpage...52839355922464

The comments from even his most ardent supporters are hilarious.

https://www.facebook.com/tedcruzpage...52839355922464

The comments from even his most ardent supporters are hilarious.
    LOL... http://theoatmeal.com/blog/net_neutrality

Harvard is clearly overrated.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I attended an event last week where Cruz was the guest of honor. I had a chance to talk with him for a minute. He's very smart and articulate and expresses conservative philosophy very well. The problem is that he has too many sharp edges. He keeps invoking Ronald Reagan, but Reagan could exude warmth when he wanted to, and was able to come across as happy warrior. Cruz doesn't seem able to do that. If he is nominated I think he'll be crushed and history will see him more like Barry Goldwater than Ronald Reagan.

Then again, I could be completely wrong....
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I attended an event last week where Cruz was the guest of honor. I had a chance to talk with him for a minute. He's very smart and articulate and expresses conservative philosophy very well. The problem is that he has too many sharp edges. He keeps invoking Ronald Reagan, but Reagan could exude warmth when he wanted to, and was able to come across as happy warrior. Cruz doesn't seem able to do that. If he is nominated I think he'll be crushed and history will see him more like Barry Goldwater than Ronald Reagan.

Then again, I could be completely wrong....
    He lacks Reagan's sense of bipartisanship and charisma. He also lacks Reagan's hopeful outlook.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    He lacks Reagan's sense of bipartisanship and charisma. He also lacks Reagan's hopeful outlook.
    There isn't any warmth. But aside from Huck, you can say that about most of the candidates.

Hillary's appeal isn't about warmth. Because she has a nasty personality, I give the GOP a puncher's chance of upsetting her, if they don't go Sara Pallin on us.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.