Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet Ted Cruz: Tea Party darling, Princeton / Harvard grad, son of a Cuban immigrant

Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Why would it be cool to have a fiscally responsible, but socially liberal party? Is it possible to be fiscally responsible and socially liberal?
    http://www.lp.org

Although the Libertarians prefer "fiscally conservative and socially responsible".
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-30-2013 at 04:16 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Why would it be cool to have a fiscally responsible, but socially liberal party? Is it possible to be fiscally responsible and socially liberal?
    I find it hard to believe that people can be for less government involvement in our every day life and still be okay with being socially conservative. Doesn't make logical sense to me.

Sean Penn has a plan to deal with Ted Cruz and the rest of the tea partiers:

Sean Penn: Commit tea partyers, Ted Cruz ‘by executive order’

If it weren’t for the tea party, Congress would work well, Hollywood actor Sean Penn said during a recent appearance on CNN with host Piers Morgan. And he also said tea partyers should be forcibly committed for mental health treatment.

Really, the tea party is to blame for nearly all of the issues facing Congress, he said, as Politico reported.

“I think they have — there’s a mental health problem in Congress,” Mr. Penn said. “This would be solved by committing them by executive order, I think. Because these are our American brothers and sisters, we shouldn’t be criticizing them, attacking them. … This is a cry for help.

Mr. Morgan encouraged Mr. Penn to continue: “You literally commit what, people like Ted Cruz?”

And Mr. Penn’s reply, as Politico reported: “He is my American brother. I think we should take care of him, he is in trouble.”
    [...]
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2jWOAetQ0
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Holy crap...

Blockbuster book deal for Ted Cruz; $1.5m advance, bigger than Sarah Palin's

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, a darling of the Tea Party and conservative movement, has agreed to write a personal memoir about his controversial days in Washington and his vision for the future for HarperCollins, according to publishing sources.

The first term Cruz is expected to receive an advance close to $1.5 million after a four-day book auction last weekend, easily winning the authorship primary over several others penning pre-presidential primary books including Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

[…]

Recent reported and estimated book advances for conservatives

Sen. Marco Rubio — $800,000

Mike Huckabee — $800,000

Sen. Rand Paul — $300-400,000 (est.)

Gov. Scott Walker — $340,000

Tim Pawlenty — $340,000

Newt Gingrich — $400,000

Gov. Bobby Jindal — $50,000-100,000

Sen. John McCain — $500,000

Sarah Palin — $1.25 million
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/articl...pI9DMZ.twitter

Who buys these books?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Crazy people.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

This dynamic may be best illustrated by the quadrennial scramble in publishing to sign prospective presidential candidates, who are bound by tradition to write an autobiographical manifesto ahead of the election. The casual Barnes & Noble browser is unlikely to have ever purchased one of these books — almost nobody does — but he will recognize the subgenre by its uniform covers: the patriotic color scheme, the besuited politician striking a square-shouldered pose, the author’s name and title stamped across the dust jacket in imposing, all-caps lettering. Inside, the books follow a well-worn formula, lacing lofty talking points and vaguely drawn policy proposals with a sanitized personal narrative that reads as though it has been vetted by a thousand political operatives and stripped down to a fourth-grade reading level.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins...f-a-publishing
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

While I do not own any of the books listed above, I will admit to owning a copy of "A Mormon in the White House?," which was gifted to me by my FIL a few years ago. I never read it.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Who is dumb enough to give Cruz a $1.5mm advance on a book that no one buys? Well played, Senator Cruz, well played.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The funny (sad?) thing is that almost all of these books are written by ghostwriters. You make the book deal and then hire someone to write it for you. In most cases, the ghostwriters aren't even acknowledged. It is a slimy business.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The funny (sad?) thing is that almost all of these books are written by ghostwriters. You make the book deal and then hire someone to write it for you. In most cases, the ghostwriters aren't even acknowledged. It is a slimy business.
    And Senator Cruz doesn't even have to write the book. I need to run for public office.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

sounds a lot like the whole legislative process.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

And Senator Cruz doesn't even have to write the book. I need to run for public office.
    Yeah, I saw a program recently on the ghostwriting industry. Sometimes they will do the entire book for as little as $50K. They sit down with the "author" to get a feel for the general message or story they want conveyed in the book and off they go. Sometimes the author reviews the work as they go and offers feedback, but in many cases they just skim through it when it is all written.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    sounds a lot like the whole legislative process.
    But, voting is very important!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Why is it slimy? I get that you wouldn't buy the book because it is written by ghostwriters, but if someone buys the book and likes it....then they got what they paid for. If they don't then these ghostwritten books will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    Why is it slimy? I get that you wouldn't buy the book because it is written by ghostwriters, but if someone buys the book and likes it....then they got what they paid for. If they don't then these ghostwritten books will stop.
    Duh. Making a buck off of the gullible public through a deceptive process.

Meh, what's the big deal....if people are happy with the book then who cares?

Why do you care if some of us find the whole process slimy?

Pre-Historic Man

Isn't that the idea of free enterprise?

Agreed. Also, if the people or their property aren't being harmed, as well.

When I become rich and famous I am writing my own boring, self-aggrandizing book, dammit.

Thats capitalism!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

When I become rich and famous I am writing my own boring, self-aggrandizing book, dammit.
    I will buy a copy and send it to DDD.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Tom Phillips? Is that you?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    I will buy a copy and send it to DDD.
    won't read it.

Why do you care if some of us find the whole process slimy?
    I don't care very much, but wish to understand the thought process of why you would care.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Agreed. Also, if the people or their property aren't being harmed, as well.
    Yep, that is kind of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    won't read it.
    I know, but it is the thought that counts.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

I don't care very much, but wish to understand the thought process of why you would care.
    Well, I guess I don't feel too sorry for the chumps that buy these books. And I certainly don't believe anyone is breaking any laws. I just find the whole process kind of shallow and artificial.

First meeting between celeb and ghostwriter:

Celeb: "Hey, thanks for coming over. So I want you to write a book for me."
    GW: "No problem. You got a topic in mind?"
    Celeb: "I don't know, I was thinking something about the liberal media."
    GW: "That has kind of played out. How about something on the evils of ObamaCare? That is red meat these days. Assuming we act quickly."
    Celeb: "Great idea! Let's go with that."
    GW: "Any preference on content?"
    Celeb: "Nah. Just use the standard talking points and make shit up when you need to. These people just after confirmation bias anyway."
    GW: "Got it."
    Celeb: "And whatever you do, don't put your name anywhere on the cover or inside the book. I want people to think I wrote this."
    GW: "No problem. That is standard procedure. Any preference on length?"
    Celeb: "Not too long. I hate long books."
    GW: "OK. 250 pages maybe?"
    Celeb: "Perfect. Can you have this done in two months? I want to start pimping it on my talk show. Build up the pre-orders."
    GW: "Consider it done."

Hooray for capitalism!

Yeah, I saw a program recently on the ghostwriting industry. Sometimes they will do the entire book for as little as $50K. They sit down with the "author" to get a feel for the general message or story they want conveyed in the book and off they go. Sometimes the author reviews the work as they go and offers feedback, but in many cases they just skim through it when it is all written.
    Do you remember the name of the program? I want to watch that.