Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet Ted Cruz: Tea Party darling, Princeton / Harvard grad, son of a Cuban immigrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From wikepedia:

O'Rourke is a fourth-generation Irish American, born at Hotel Dieu Hospital in El Paso, the son of El Paso County Judge Pat Francis O'Rourke and Melissa Martha (Williams), a stepdaughter of Fred Korth, who was the Secretary of the Navy under President John F. Kennedy. His family always called him "Beto", a common Spanish nickname for Roberto, Gilberto, and Alberto, initially to distinguish him from his namesake grandfather. His father was a political associate of former Texas Governor Mark White. Judge O'Rourke was killed in July 2001, at the age of fifty-eight, when he was struck from behind by a car while riding his bicycle over the New Mexico state line.

O'Rourke attended Carlos Rivera and Mesita Elementary Schools and El Paso High School. He graduated from Woodberry Forest School in 1991. In the early 1990s, he was a bassist in the band Foss, which included Cedric Bixler-Zavala (vocalist for At the Drive-In and The Mars Volta) on vocals and drums. The group released a self-titled demo and a 7" record, "The El Paso Pussycats", on Western Breed Records in 1993.

O'Rourke attended Columbia University where he captained Columbia's rowing crew. He graduated from Columbia in 1995 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English literature. He is fluent in Spanish.

O'Rourke was arrested by University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) police in 1995 on burglary charges after jumping a fence on the university's property. The UTEP police department later declined to pursue charges. In 1998, O'Rourke was arrested for driving while intoxicated (DWI), but the charges were later dismissed in 1999 after he completed a court-recommended DWI program. He has publicly discussed the incident since that time and has apologized for it.
    So he's as white preppy ivy league as you can get being what I will assume is a lapsed Catholic. wap is more Latino than he is.

All this cultural appropriation by Dems. SAD!
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      From wikepedia:

So he's as white preppy ivy league as you can get being what I will assume is a lapsed Catholic. wap is more Latino than he is.

All this cultural appropriation by Dems. SAD!
      Maybe I missed the part of how he's a fake hispanic. Because he goes by Beto? What about Rafael Cruz going by "Ted" and acting like the biggest white asshole ever?
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
        What about Rafael Cruz going by "Ted" and acting like the biggest white asshole ever?
        That’s not an act.

Comment

Maybe I missed the part of how he's a fake hispanic. Because he goes by Beto? What about Rafael Cruz going by "Ted" and acting like the biggest white asshole ever?
          No... Beto eats tacos with a fork. That's why he's a fake hispanic, man.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
            That’s not an act.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Isn't cruz up like 8 pts in the polls? He'll need to come out as a creepy guy who dated teenagers when in his 30s and 40s to lose this one. I saw where the fake hispanic guy has raised something like $60 million and cruz only has $20 million, and I was wondering why so many people want to throw their money away.
              The fact it was close even for part of the campaign is amazing on its own. Republicans don't have close statewide races in Texas. Cruz is a jerk who has annoyed enough people to make the race close.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                It seemed like a bad debate for Cruz. He’s awful on tv and doesn’t know how to tie a tie or pick out a shirt with the proper neck size.
                Fact check time for "Lyin" Ted... let's see what Rafael was lying about this time:

CRUZ: "Congressman O'Rourke voted in favor of a $10 a barrel tax on every barrel of oil produced in the state of Texas."

THE FACTS: Cruz's claim sparked a strong reaction from O'Rourke, who said the senator was being dishonest. But Cruz was correct. O'Rourke did cast a vote in the House in favor of such an oil tax that never became law.
                https://www.click2houston.com/news/p...es-immigration

Yeah, we need to tax those rich West Texas oil fat cats! $10 per barrel is way too low, however.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Isn't cruz up like 8 pts in the polls? He'll need to come out as a creepy guy who dated teenagers when in his 30s and 40s to lose this one. I saw where the fake hispanic guy has raised something like $60 million and cruz only has $20 million, and I was wondering why so many people want to throw their money away.

Well, I won't believe it until some Dem rag reports it...

BETO O’ROURKE, DEMOCRATIC DREAMBOAT, IS GETTING HIS ASS KICKED IN TEXAS

As Bernie Sanders demonstrated in 2016, a massive, sustained influx of grassroots cash does not guarantee victory.

The most spectacular part of the Beto O’Rourke narrative—beyond the fact that he’s come within spitting distance of Ted Cruz in a Texas Senate race, or that he’s a skateboarding Kennedy doppelgänger, or that he may be the most exciting thing to happen to today’s sluggish Democratic Party—is that he’s somehow managed to manifest all of these qualities in his money game. O’Rourke first shocked the country when he consistently out-raised his well-financed rival, often more than doubling Cruz’s numbers, largely through small donations. On Friday, O’Rourke announced another eye-popping sum for his final-quarter haul: $38.1 million, the all-time, single-quarter record for any Senate candidate in history. “The people of Texas in all 254 counties are proving that when we reject PACs and come together not as Republicans or Democrats but as Texans and Americans, there’s no stopping us,” he said in a statement. (Cruz, by comparison, raised $12 million.)
                  https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...ib17TszUMJsHfo
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                    The fact it was close even for part of the campaign is amazing on its own. Republicans don't have close statewide races in Texas. Cruz is a jerk who has annoyed enough people to make the race close.
                    You need to look at how Ted got elected in 2012 to understand how the race is close. Ted rode the tea party wave to victory over Dewhurst. Ted was never a great candidate for Texas since he’s too right wing on certain issues and he just isn’t likeable. But he’s the incumbent for better or worse so the GOP is stuck with him unless someone wants to challenge him in a primary.

The fact that the race isn’t really competitive speaks more to Betos left wing leanings more than anything else. I think Beto could beat Ted if he pulled back to the center a bit, but of course if he did that he’d lose a lot of money.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      That F1 track is worth every dime y'all are paying in more taxes...
                      Glad you like it! You're welcome to move to Travis County and help pay for it. Should be paid off by 2034 or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        The fact that the race isn’t really competitive speaks more to Betos left wing leanings more than anything else. I think Beto could beat Ted if he pulled back to the center a bit, but of course if he did that he’d lose a lot of money.
                        If Beto was for lowing taxes, was for pro-gun/2nd amendment (i.e., have something better than a "F" rating from the NRA), was for securing the border, was for pro-life, for religious freedom, was for standing and giving respect to the flag, traveled around Texas in something other than a toyota pickup (the dude has like $60m dollars in campaign funds; get a frick'n private jet, man), didn't live El Paso (have you been to EL Paso?), was really a middle class guy rather than worth something like 2x more than Ted, was actually an hispanic dude and not just a white guy with with an hispanic name, didn't describe the police as "the new jim crow", didn't have such a long neck, ate tacos without a fork, etc. then, yeah, he would have a decent chance in Texas.
                        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-17-2018, 11:54 AM.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Beto O'Rourke? Right off the bat seems overtly Irish to me- I'm not familiar enough w the campaign to know in what way he feigns hispanic background. The hilarious part is that Ted Cruz has spent the majority of his political career trying to keep a lid on the fact that his parents were Cuban refugees. The hypocrisy with which Cubans treat Mexicans re: immigration policy is pretty hilarious to me. There's this air of superiority when the reality is that Cubans are on a kind of Immigration Welfare. So Ted Cruz can take his anti-Dreamer rhetoric and shove it up his ass.
                          Commando?... you should cut down on the salt, man.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Commando?... you should cut down on the salt, man.

Who is that lightweight?
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Who is that lightweight?
                              I am pretty sure he was in the LoTRs movies...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I think Beto is finally winning a debate... Too bad he is debating himself.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X