Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet Ted Cruz: Tea Party darling, Princeton / Harvard grad, son of a Cuban immigrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Ted Cruz: Tea Party darling, Princeton / Harvard grad, son of a Cuban immigrant

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79246.html

I had paid almost zero attention to the Texas Senate thing until yesterday. I assumed - I shld slap my own face - that Cruz was another Tea Party goon.

On closer examination, this guy has star power on par w/ Marco Rubio, gives the GOP another anchor for its pitch to Hispanic voters and a future leader on the Republican scene.

A few highlights from the article:

Cruz’s own story is filled with firsts.

He was a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review; the first Hispanic to clerk for a chief justice of the United States, in Cruz’s case, William Rehnquist; the first Hispanic solicitor general in the country; and the youngest and longest-serving to hold that position.

But the Princeton-educated Cruz — who has argued nine cases before the U.S. Supreme Court — showed signs of major promise decades earlier, going back to his high school days in Katy, Texas.

As a teenager, Cruz made a name for himself after he memorized the Constitution and hit the road to deliver speeches on its intrinsic meaning [Mike Lee wonders why he didn't think of this]. The practice paved the way for his first-place finishes at the 1992 National and North American Debate Championships.
    One of his Princeton profs weighs in:

George sees Cruz more likely molding himself into a gray beard of sorts who sets out to accomplish big policy goals and is the point man on constitutional questions.

“I think what you’ve got is someone who is going to be a real intellectual leader in the Senate. The closest parallel I can think of is Paul Ryan in the House of Representatives. He’s a real intellectual leader. He’s not just a factional leader,” said George. “There’s going to be some big constitutional questions to address. … And he might be one of the few U.S. senators who’ve read Tocqueville.”

Elliott echoed that sentiment, saying that Cruz carries himself with a calm assertiveness that separates him from many politicians who wave the tea party flag.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

But according to David Dewhurst Cruz is the scum of the earth.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Cruz is another lawyer with no private work experience that turned to politics. He's also an obstructionist. I truly wonder how he'll do. I'm leaning towards voting for him but I need to research the Dem before I decide.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        But according to David Dewhurst Cruz is the scum of the earth.
        Dewhurst ran some of the most disgusting attack ads I've ever seen. It was unbelievable. The one where they tried to pin a teen suicide on him was particularly appalling. The one where they were going after him for representing a Chinese company was just plain silly.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Cruz is another lawyer with no private work experience that turned to politics. He's also an obstructionist. I truly wonder how he'll do. I'm leaning towards voting for him but I need to research the Dem before I decide.

I'd appreciate the insights of Texans - cld you elaborate on "obstructionist"? Sometimes a bit of obstructionism is necessary to obstruct bad policy from being implemented.

Are you suggesting he's a mere bomb-throwing obstructionist or is he a tactical obstructionist?

Also - if it's accurate that he argued around a dozen cases in front of the Supreme Court he has to have developed some lawyerly skills even if he had "no work experience."
          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Not sure how your last sentence follows from your fist two.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
              http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79246.html

I had paid almost zero attention to the Texas Senate thing until yesterday. I assumed - I shld slap my own face - that Cruz was another Tea Party goon.

On closer examination, this guy has star power on par w/ Marco Rubio, gives the GOP another anchor for its pitch to Hispanic voters and a future leader on the Republican scene.

A few highlights from the article:

One of his Princeton profs weighs in:
              I had the opposite experience with Cruz. I heard his resume first, then heard him speak on his agenda. He still sounded nuts.

Comment

I'd appreciate the insights of Texans - cld you elaborate on "obstructionist"? Sometimes a bit of obstructionism is necessary to obstruct bad policy from being implemented.

Are you suggesting he's a mere bomb-throwing obstructionist or is he a tactical obstructionist?

Also - if it's accurate that he argued around a dozen cases in front of the Supreme Court he has to have developed some lawyerly skills even if he had "no work experience."
                Because we clearly need more lawyerly skills in Congress.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

His whole campaign was centered on painting Dewhurst as a moderate and to do that he pulled out examples where Dewhurst tried to work with Democrats on certain legislation. Working with the enemy is not allowed in the TEA party movement, and that is the exact group that got Cruz elected (yes, I'm writing off the Dem contender by saying that....because this is Texas). He's an idealogue and it's likely he'll vote that way in the Senate. That works for some people, but for me I prefer pragmatists like Mitt who will pass a bill that benefits all even if it isn't in line with his own personal politics.

I view the TEA party as a bunch of idealogue obstructionists. This observation is based on the action and rhetoric of many in my ward and many FB friends who belong to the movement.

Cruz' bio is interesting. Here's some snippets:
                  - Harvard law educated
                  - Editor of Harvard law review
                  - Never worked in the private sector
                  - Never owned his own business
                  - Has minimal experience in politics
                  - Hard core conservative idealogue
                  - Backed by the far right wing of the GOP

He's basically the GOP version of Obama. Maybe that's good to some, but I'm not a fan.

One other thing, when I was doing some research on the candidates I could not find Cruz' policy positions on his website. It was just full of fluff and soft touchy feely conservative memes. In essence, it had a "hope and change" feel to it.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I don't get this phrase. I didn't say he had no work experience (at least I hope I didn't). I said he hadn't worked in the private sector, or that he hadn't owned his own business. There's a stark difference to running a business and simply litigating cases for a large law firm.

The problem with Washington is that it's full of lawyers (no offense intended to half the board). I wish it were full of business owners who have experience with regulations, payroll, budgeting, etc. from the perspective of an equity holder, but unfortunately business owners are too busy running their businesses .

Comment

Don't forget to research John Jay Myers because deep down inside you know you are a Libertarian. Plus he isn't yet another one of those lawyers.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't get this phrase. I didn't say he had no work experience (at least I hope I didn't). I said he hadn't worked in the private sector, or that he hadn't owned his own business. There's a stark difference to running a business and simply litigating cases for a large law firm.

The problem with Washington is that it's full of lawyers (no offense intended to half the board). I wish it were full of business owners who have experience with regulations, payroll, budgeting, etc. from the perspective of an equity holder, but unfortunately business owners are too busy running their businesses .
                        Did I mention that John Jay Myers owns and runs his own business?
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          Because we clearly need more lawyerly skills in Congress.
                          Kind of beside my point which was simply that the guy had clearly practiced law and practiced it well, even if not in the private sector.
                          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Kind of beside my point which was simply that the guy had clearly practiced law and practiced it well, even if not in the private sector.
                            You're missing the point. I think we've passed the point where we realize that a group made up mostly of lawyers is not going to improve our situation.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with Moliere that he isn't qualified (at least, that's how I'm reading Moliere's comments), but I did vote against Dewhurst because of the disgusting way he handled his campaign.

I don't think I'd read too much into Cruz's need to paint Dewhurst as a conservative for victory. After all, Mitt had to paint himself as a conservative to knock out his opposition, when his records screams "MODERATE!"

I'm fairly hopeful that Cruz will make good decisions in the next 6 years (since I think he's got this race in the bag).
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                              X