• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two worst cereals that I've spat upon since childhood:

Golden Grahams
    Sugar Smacks

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I broke up with Grape Nuts a few months ago for the last time.... .
      This post is superbly done. Perhaps there will be a priesthood session talk in October on the evils of looking at Grape Nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        What is the appeal of steel cut oatmeal? I see this is all the time in magazines and eating healthy articles. But does it taste better than normal quick oats?
        The steel cut variety taste "nuttier" and has a better texture that the regular or instant. I don't know if it preserves the shell or bran portion better, but it definitely tastes better.

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
        Two worst cereals that I've spat upon since childhood:

Golden Grahams
        Sugar Smacks
        Agreed, especially the Sugar Smacks. The sugar part was good, but the smack part was more like sawdust. Special K was even worse, lacking even the siren song of sugar.

Comment

What is the appeal of steel cut oatmeal? I see this is all the time in magazines and eating healthy articles. But does it taste better than normal quick oats?
          It has a different consistency when cooked, which gives it a different texture in your mouth. It's seems to be much creamier with some more complex flavors than rolled oats or instant oatmeal (I've always felt it had a nutty flavor). The drawback is that steel cut oats take a lot longer to cook.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            I broke up with Grape Nuts a few months ago for the last time.

We started seeing each other off and on in junior high school because I thought the commercials were cool and outdoorsy. However, once I had some in my bowl, I thought they tasted disgusting, so the box would sit in the cupboard and eventually go bad.

Every few years, Grape Nuts and I would bump into each other, almost always at the store, but sometimes at hotels. We would act casually and pretend like everything was cool, but we both knew that we wanted to give it another try. Inevitably, we would wind up hooking back up briefly. I would always regret it the next day, wondering what I was thinking and being mad at myself for having such little self control.

After my marriage, I found out that Grape Nuts had actually been trying to hook up with my wife for several years, as well. I was furious! I was pretty shocked by what happened next: my wife and I spoke at length and she suggested that we might want to give Grape Nuts as try...as a couple! Rowrrr! Neither one of us had done anything like that before, but I was game for the experience. We took off in the car, looking to buy some Grape Nuts, hoping that nobody from our neighborhood would see us. When we finally found Grape Nuts, I was pretty surprised.....the price had not really gone up much after all these years. I also recall thinking, "Wow, I have to hand it to Grape Nuts.....still looks the same, not a day older or a pound heavier."

Unfortunately, the whole threesome with my wife and Grape Nuts was a failed experiment. We tried all kinds of things....we used bananas, we used strawberries, we poured honey all over the place. We tried it in the morning, we tried it as a quick thing before bedtime. One time, our kids even caught us with Grape Nuts. They had never seen that kind of stuff before, so they asked us what was going on. We calmly explained that when boys and girls grow up, they sometimes like to experiment. Our kids thought the whole thing was gross. We have never talked about it since that day, but I worry that their seeing us with Grape Nuts may have skewed their perceptions.

After trying all kinds of things, my wife lost total interest and I became frustrated. Eating Grape Nuts solo was definitely not as satisfying. The final straw was when my wife caught me on the internet, looking at different ways to eat Grape Nuts. I tried to explain that it was no big deal, but she wanted me to stop and demanded that we remove Grape Nuts from our house. This was about 6 or 7 months ago. I wasn't going to let Grape Nuts ruin my life, so I complied with my wife's request.

I don't think I will ever hook up with Grape Nuts again, but I admit that going to the store still gives me the heebs. I will sometimes do a driveby just to see if Grape Nuts is there, but I never stop. It is probably better that way.
            I am trying to figure out who you are referring to in this post...I know it is a person and it aint grapenuts. All I know is, its a bit disturbing.

Comment

I'm not sure how, but it has a higher protein content. For me, it's the texture. I'm not a fan of oatmeal's glue-like texture, but I love how it fills me up. Steel-cut oatmeal has a grainier texture and tastes better, IMO. However, it takes 30-40 minutes to cook, so you have to get a good start in the morning or do it in a crockpot overnight. It keeps well though, so I usually just cook up a whole bunch and keep leftovers in the fridge.

My cereals in order:
              1) Steel-cut oatmeal (usually mix in some frozen blueberries or a banana)
              2) Kashi GoLean Instant Oatmeal (Honey & Cinnamon flavor--the others for some reason feel like glue to me)
              3) Kashi GoLean Crunch with yogurt
              4) Frosted Shredded Wheat (I'm with wuap on this one--brand matters)

Grape nuts taste like gravel...with a funny aftertaste.
              Last edited by ERCougar; 06-12-2009, 09:05 AM.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

When I eat cereal, it is normally oatmeal. I only eat it once a week or so. My normal breakfast is a nonfat yogurt and a piece of fruit at my dest at work

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

My dad would cook either oatmeal and raisins or brown rice and raisins almost every morning. Put a little bit of milk and sugar, and it wasn't bad even when I was a kid. I'm not sure if he still does it as frequently, but I've been thinking about starting to make it myself. I'm an idiot and don't eat breakfast half the time.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Cereal is my weakness (well, that and non-diet soda). I love cereal. Sometimes I go to the store on my way home from work just to buy some type of cereal that I might be craving. As a result, I'm always on the lookout for new cereals.

Nutritionally speaking, cereal is a waste. So many calories, and 10 minutes later you're hungry again. Still, i love the stuff, and now that I'm eating healthier, it has become a sort of reward for me (much like icre cream or chocolate would be for someone else).

While I'm a fan of most of the major cereals (sweetened or otherwise) a few that always find their way back into our pantry:

Blueberry Morning (and its cousin, Cranberry Almond Delight). Fine dining in a box, I tell you.

Honey Graham Oh's. All the sweetness of Cap'n Crunch, with a little extra oaty goodness.

Crunchy Corn Bran. A nostalgic pick. My mom bought this a lot when I was a kid, and it still brings back memories every time I eat it. Lightly sweet, yet 'branny' enough to feel healthy.

S'mores. An absolute sugar bomb of an indulgence. But I can't quit it.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      I don't eat breakfast, but on the rare occasions I partake...
                      I read somewhere that not eating breakfast increases your chanced of developing diabetes...just FYI.

Comment

Frosted Mini Wheats, Raisin Bran, and Fruit Loops if I am out of the first two. We always have Fruit Loops because our daughter is obsessed and eats them every morning and we are bad parents like that.

So where can you find a good amount of steel cut oats for a reasonable price? At every grocery store near us they only sell like 10 oz boxes for a ridiculously high price.
                        I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Gidget View Post
                          Frosted Mini Wheats, Raisin Bran, and Fruit Loops if I am out of the first two. We always have Fruit Loops because our daughter is obsessed and eats them every morning and we are bad parents like that.

So where can you find a good amount of steel cut oats for a reasonable price? At every grocery store near us they only sell like 10 oz boxes for a ridiculously high price.
                          At Walmart, they sell McCann's. It's more than the regular oatmeal, but serving-wise, it works out to the same as the Kashi instant oatmeal. One of those cans will last me 2-3 weeks. Even if it were $10/can (it's less, I just don't know the price off hand), that's not bad to cover a meal for a few weeks.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Gidget View Post

From my mom. She always brings us some when she visits. She is the one that got us addicted.

Oh, my mom gets hers at Trader Joes, which we don't have here in MS.
                            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

70% of people don't love their current cereal or never loved it in the first place.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I eat a bowl of cheerios with one under-ripe banana. I love oatmeal over whole grain toast, but I'm usually too lazy and just opt for the yellow box.

Comment

Working...
                                X