What cereal do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Viking View Post
    I love cereal, too. I was so poor in college that the only thing I could afford was a single $0.79 bean burrito from taco bell and the knock off cocoa puffs at smiths for dinner. Serious.
    When I was living in Provo during my law school days, we would eat bean burritos with nothing else (not even salsa). The beans were Rosarita refried brand. Blah! Also, Top Ramen was a staple. I did splurge on Root Beer however; a man has to have some small luxuries in life. As for cereal, generic cheerios always seem to find a way into our cupboard.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidget View Post
      Surfah chastised me today for buying just 3 boxes of my all-time favorite cereal. HoneyGraham Oh's.

I am sad.

But they are really small boxes, I said.

I love cold cereal in general, but now I am 8 months pregnant and it is pretty much the only thing I ever feel like eating. He's so mean.
      Bah! I didn't chastise you. I simply asked if you wanted to buy a milk cow loud enough so the lady in the aisle with us heard. She didn't think it was funny. Neither did Gidget.

And you still got 3 boxes of them.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        Bah! I didn't chastise you. I simply asked if you wanted to buy a milk cow loud enough so the lady in the aisle with us heard. She didn't think it was funny. Neither did Gidget.

And you still got 3 boxes of them.
        Wow, blast from the past. We were home from our honeymoon maybe a couple of months and I go grocery shopping. I am still in law school at the time, so we are still in student starvation mode. As was always the case, Oh's were on sale. I bought a couple of boxes.

I come home and my in-laws are at our place (can't remember....maybe we were going to dinner or something). I bring in the groceries, show her the box and say, "only married a month and I'm already giving you the big O!"

I didn't know her parents were in the other room at the time.

I thought it was funny, btw. My wife didn't.

We rarely buy Oh's anymore.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          We rarely buy Oh's anymore.
          That happens as you get older.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            That happens as you get older.
            Yeah, did you know DDD was in Jr High in 1984?
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              Yeah, did you know DDD was in Jr High in 1984?
              I thought Triplet was a Junior in high school in 1984. I think he's trying to shave a few years.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I thought Triplet was a Junior in high school in 1984. I think he's trying to shave a few years.
                I think you're right.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  You have launched a full-fledged assault on the roof of your mouth. Still, it is worth it. Oh's are sooo good.
                  True. I had a glass of orange juice last night and was thoroughly reaping what I have sewn the last few weeks of mornings. Ouchie. But I still bought 3 boxes today . . . . .
                  I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidget View Post
                    True. I had a glass of orange juice last night and was thoroughly reaping what I have sewn the last few weeks of mornings. Ouchie. But I still bought 3 boxes today . . . . .
                    My brother used to put in his retainer just to eat Oh's. Then he could crunch with reckless abandon and be no worse for wear.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      My brother used to put in his retainer just to eat Oh's. Then he could crunch with reckless abandon and be no worse for wear.
                      That's hilarious.

I am curious why they have never made a bigger box? I realize it might not be the most popular cereal, but many unpopular cereals come in more than one size box. I mean, I could be computing wrong but this cereal has been around for at least 20 years right? I ate it when I was in elementary.

I need a bigger box.
                      I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                        Also, Cheerios is noticeably missing from the list.
                        Right before our oldest was born, Macey's in Provo had a 10 for $10 sale on Cheerios. My wife bought 30 boxes about two weeks before the child was born. The day she went into labor we were out. She ate them by the handful straight from the box.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Ghost
                          During lunch today I took some things back to Home Depot I didn't end up using last weekend. Fred Meyer is right next to Home Depot, so I took along a shopping list given to me by the wife. After I got everything I needed in Fred Meyer, I walked back to the front of the store by walking through the cereal aisle to see if there were any good deals. I found one of my son's favorite cereals, Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats Little Bites Chocolate cereal on sale, 3 boxes for $5. There was a limit of 6, so I added 6 boxes to the cart and proceed to the check out counter. After I paid the bill, the cashier handed me my receipt and a few Fred Meyer in-store coupons that printed out. When I returned to the car, I loaded the groceries, sat down in the driver's seat, and thumbed through the coupons. One of them caught my eye:

"$4.00 of your next shopping order for buying 5 boxes of Kellogg's cereal"

Wait, what? I just got a $4 coupon for buying 5 boxes of cereal that cost me $10?

I quickly did the math in my head. If I buy 5 boxes of cereal @ 3 for $5 == $8.34 less $4.00 ....

$4.34 for 5 boxes of cereal weighing a total of 80 ounces???!!!

At a price per ounce cost of 5½¢, this is an incredibly eff-ing good deal.

I immediately took the coupon back into the store and bought 5 more boxes of the Mini-wheats cereal for a total cost of $4.34. The same $4 coupon printed out. I took it and....

Then I did it again.

And again.

I repeated the process a total of 5 times. After about 15 minutes, I had 31 boxes of cereal in my car that I paid a grand total of $27.71 (no sales tax on cereal in Washington state).... and a $4.00 coupon to use on my next shopping order (tomorrow?).

The expiration dates on the boxes? All in March and April of 2011.

When I got home with the cereal the wife rolled her eyes... she had after all, sent me to the store with a very small list.

[Note: many different Kellogg's cereals on sale at Fred Meyer including Frosted Flakes ($2/box), Froot Loops ($2/box), Rice Krispies (3/$5), and several others.]

cheers.

Just checked the coupon... this deal is good through May 15th, 2010.
                          That is awesome. I love cereal, especially after getting home late at night. My preferences are HoneyNut Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs and Captain Crunch. I also like Wheat Chex, especially with sugar and cream.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Here's a great, simple cereal recipe. It's not for people who aer trying to lose weight, but it is relatively healthy and downright yummy:

Grandpa’s Cereal
                            Serves 4

The cereal thickens considerably as it soaks overnight. Hence, plan to add extra milk in the morning in order to soften and loosen the muesli.

1 cup low-fat milk, plus additional in the morning if desired
                            1 cup whole milk plain yogurt, plus additional for the morning
                            2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
                            2 cups instant oatmeal, preferably McCann’s Irish oatmeal
                            fresh berries, sliced bananas or grated apple if desired

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, and honey. Add the oatmeal and stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, stir the muesli well and add additional milk as desired to loosen and soften the muesli. Serve with fresh berries, sliced bananas or grated apple if desired. Leftovers keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Great Value Raisin Bran. I'm old(er).

Comment

• I have a special combo of Wheat Chex and generic raisin bran with extra raisins. I could add my own raisins to Wheat Chex but I like the sugar covered raisins in raisin bran. I like to let the Wheat Chex layer soak in milk for a few minutes and then I add the raisin bran layer.

My sweet daughter made breakfast for me one morning and informed me that she had "pre-soaked" my cereal. Unfortunately it was straight raisin bran and very soggy.

Comment

Working...
                                X