Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What cereal do you eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    S'mores is awesome, btw. One of my current go-tos when I want a sweet snack. It reminds me of how awesome Golden Grahams used to be before they changed the recipe and made it all cardboardy.
    How long ago was the Golden Grahams recipe change?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    How long ago was the Golden Grahams recipe change?
    A decade or more.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

A decade or more.
    I did not know that but I loved Golden Grahams when I was a kid. Re: S'mores are you guys talking Kellogg's or Malt-O-Meal? B/c I like the K brand but strongly prefer MoM S'mores. The fact that it comes in a huge bag is a plus (especially compared to the pathetically small K S'mores box).

Edit: I just looked it up and the Kellogg's version is Smorz so I assume we are all talking about Malt-O-Meal.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Default What cereal do you eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    I did not know that but I loved Golden Grahams when I was a kid. Re: S'mores are you guys talking Kellogg's or Malt-O-Meal? B/c I like the K brand but strongly prefer MoM S'mores. The fact that it comes in a huge bag is a plus (especially compared to the pathetically small K S'mores box).

I am definitely talking MoM or Post brand (i.e. grahams with marshmallow and chocolate puff pieces). The Kellogs Smorez are ok, but definitely a step down.

BTW, when MoM Smore's first hit the market, they were in a bag. But about a year ago, my local grocers stopped carrying them (even though they still carry all the other MoM bagged cereals). About that same time, I started seeing the Post S'mores in a box. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but from memory, they taste pretty much identical. I've long wondered if they aren't actually MoM Smores being sold as Post cereal. It does seem like Post has made a big push to introduce new cereals in the last 2 years.

As for the comparison between Golden Grahams and the graham cereal in S'mores, I think one big difference is that the S'mores grahams are sugar dusted. IIRC, Golden Grahams used to be that way as well. They aren't anymore, and I think that is a huge part of why they aren't as good as they once were.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 12-28-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I haven't had cereal in years. I don't even recognize most of what is in that picture. I loved Golden Grahams back in the day.
    S'mores is awesome, btw. One of my current go-tos when I want a sweet snack. It reminds me of how awesome Golden Grahams used to be before they changed the recipe and made it all cardboardy.
    Sad news, indeed.

I am definitely talking MoM or Post brand (i.e. grahams with marshmallow and chocolate puff pieces). The Kellogs Smorez are ok, but definitely a step down.

BTW, when MoM Smore's first hit the market, they were in a bag. But about a year ago, my local grocers stopped carrying them (even though they still carry all the other MoM bagged cereals). About that same time, I started seeing the Post S'mores in a box. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but from memory, they taste pretty much identical. I've long wondered if they aren't actually MoM Smores being sold as Post cereal. It does seem like Post has made a big push to introduce new cereals in the last 2 years.

As for the comparison between Golden Grahams and the graham cereal in S'mores, I think one big difference is that the S'mores grahams are sugar dusted. IIRC, Golden Grahams used to be that way as well. They aren't anymore, and I think that is a huge part of why they aren't as good as they once were.
    We're just blessed in the 208 to still have the big bag MoM S'mores, I guess.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

BTW, when MoM S’mores first hit the market, they were in a bag. But about a year ago, my local grocers stopped carrying them (even though they still carry all the other MoM bagged cereals). About that same time, I started seeing the Post S'mores in a box. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but from memory, they taste pretty much identical. I've long wondered if they aren't actually MoM S’mores being sold as Post cereal. It does seem like Post has made a big push to introduce new cereals in the last 2 years.
    Mystery solved:

My favorite cereals that I eat regularly are all non-sugary.

Wheaties, Corn Chex, Cheerios, and Grape Nuts.

However, put a box of Cocoa Pebbles in front of me, and it will be gone in less than 24 hours.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    My favorite cereals that I eat regularly are all non-sugary.

Wheaties, Corn Chex, Cheerios, and Grape Nuts.

However, put a box of Cocoa Pebbles in front of me, and it will be gone in less than 24 hours.
    cocoa crispies >>>>> cocoa pebbles

i eat all those cereals you mentioned above - currently have rice chex and grape nuts, but i put sugar on them.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I've been refraining from cereal since around the time that the dude told us about the Obesity Code.

Prior to my cereal sabbatical, these were among my go-tos:

Life (original or cinnamon)
    Wheat Chex
    MoM Frosted Mini Spooners
    MoM Golden Puffs
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Cocoa Puffs are better than either of those.

We try not to keep those or Reeses Puffs around or I'll eat them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    This is incorrect.

This is incorrect.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post

We try not to keep those or Reeses Puffs around or I'll eat them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

i eat all those cereals you mentioned above - currently have rice chex and grape nuts, but i put sugar on them.
    Here's my take:

Cocoa Crispies are great. The key advantage they have over Cocoa Pebble is that Pebbles get mushy pretty quickly (I have never had an issue with getting them down the hatch in short order, however). But a fresh bowl of pebbles with cold milk is tops for me personally.

Cocoa Puffs have inferior chocolate flavor, and they tear up the roof of my mouth. Pass.

we currently have a box of Chocolate Frosted Flakes at our house. They are not great.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    we currently have a box of Chocolate Frosted Flakes at our house. They are not great.
    thought about grabbing some when i was at the grocery store a couple days ago. but yeah, they look bad so i declined.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    All Frosted Flakes variations are pretty much awful. They've tried Cinnamon (disgusting--literally coats the inside of your mouth with a bitter film) Chocolate, and Honey, that I know of. I could eat Honey in a pinch (though they're not as good as the sweetened flakes in Raisin Bran Crunch) but the others are just awful. They need to stop trying to make that work.

Default What cereal do you eat?

Tried a couple of new cereals this weekend:

Kellog’s Pop Tarts Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon

Meh. The flavor on these is ok, though they don’t really taste like a brown sugar pop tart. That said, the texture is really strange. Almost like chewy styrofoam. I can’t quite get over it. Because of that, I give them a thumbs down. Probably won’t buy again.

Post Honey Bun

These are really good. Like legit add to the rotation good. This is Post’s best offering to date. Keep in mind, I love S’mores, and I am a fan of their Oreo O’s (chocolate), Nutter Butter, and Powdered Donette flavors. But this is much better. Perfect texture; not too hard but still firm enough to hold up when soaked in milk. Sweet but not too sweet, and the honey flavor is subtle and natural—not artificial like so many sugared cereals. If you like cereal, you definitely need to give these a go. Thank me later.

Tried a couple of new cereals this weekend:

Kellog’s Pop Tarts Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon

Meh. The flavor on these is ok, though they don’t really taste like a brown sugar pop tart. That said, the texture is really strange. Almost like chewy styrofoam. I can’t quite get over it. Because of that, I give them a thumbs down. Probably won’t buy again.

Post Honey Bun

These are really good. Like legit add to the rotation good. This is Post’s best offering to date. Keep in mind, I love S’mores, and I am a fan of their Oreo O’s (chocolate), Nutter Butter, and Powdered Donette flavors. But this is much better. Perfect texture; not too hard but still firm enough to hold up when soaked in milk. Sweet but not too sweet, and the honey flavor is subtle and natural—not artificial like so many sugared cereals. If you like cereal, you definitely need to give these a go. Thank me later.

TIA.
    - Goatnapper'96

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Where are you- Cancun or something?
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I ate my fair share of Zucaritas on my mission. I remember teaching la cocinera in my first area how important it was to make the powdered milk the night before and then let it chill all night in la refri so it was cold in the morning. This has never occurred to her or my Latino trainer, who were both raised on lukewarm powdered milk.

Then I went to my second area, in the middle of the jungle, and they ate their cornflakes with hot milk. Never got used to that. If you think cornflakes get soggy in cold milk, multiply that by 1000 for hot milk. Instant mush. I had to teach that cook the chilled milk trick as well.

I was over a year into my mission before I actually got pasteurized, homogenized milk. I also had a grocery store in that area that sold Quaker brand bagged cereal. Marshmallow Safari and Sweet Crunch for days. I was in heaven.

I once got Mexican Lucky Charms in a remote area of Guatemala. We were the envy of the zone. Those were simpler times...
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I ate my fair share of Zucaritas on my mission. I remember teaching la cocinera in my first area how important it was to make the powdered milk the night before and then let it chill all night in la refri so it was cold in the morning. This has never occurred to her or my Latino trainer, who were both raised on lukewarm powdered milk.

Then I went to my second area, in the middle of the jungle, and they ate their cornflakes with hot milk. Never got used to that. If you think cornflakes get soggy in cold milk, multiply that by 1000 for hot milk. Instant mush. I had to teach that cook the chilled milk trick as well.

I was over a year into my mission before I actually got pasteurized, homogenized milk. I also had a grocery store in that area that sold Quaker brand bagged cereal. Marshmallow Safari and Sweet Crunch for days. I was in heaven.

LOL - I started off mixing up my powdered milk to put on my corn flakes (when we were lucky enough to be able to buy them) but by the end of my mission I had devolved to simply dumping the dry powdered milk onto the corn flakes, pouring cold water on it and mixing the whole mass in the bowl.

I generally think of DH as a fairly fit man, especially for a lawyer, but this thread makes me worry that a moniker change to diabeetushole is in his near future.

Signed,

An obese attorney.

My wife bought some Donut O's, so I was obligated to try them. With milk, they were pretty good. Not my favorite cereal ever. I think I preferred them without the milk.
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I generally think of DH as a fairly fit man, especially for a lawyer, but this thread makes me worry that a moniker change to diabeetushole is in his near future.

Signed,

An obese attorney.
    A "fairly fit man" just may be the perfect description for where I'm at physically in life right now. I tried to come up with a better or more accurate three-word description, and I couldn't. Well done.

As for the cereal, I love it. I really do. But believe me when I say that i'm well aware that it's 100% processed sugar and just about the worst thing I can eat. Which is why I eat it as a treat, and not as a regular part of my diet. But if I could eat it every day without gaining weight, I totally would.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    My wife bought some Donut O's, so I was obligated to try them. With milk, they were pretty good. Not my favorite cereal ever. I think I preferred them without the milk.
    Donut O's? You mean Donettes? Oreo O's? Honey Oh's? We need to know this so we can evaluate your evaluation.

Donut O's? You mean Donettes? Oreo O's? Honey Oh's? We need to know this so we can evaluate your evaluation.
    I can speak for Oreo O's. Solid. I just had some this morning. Not as good as Reese's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I can speak for Oreo O's. Solid. I just had some this morning. Not as good as Reese's though.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst