What cereal do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    And I apologize profusely for forgetting your fine contributions to that thread. Take note: Surfah and Soup and Robin (and presumably Gidget and Danimal and Faith by extension) are qualified consultants as well.
    Too little too late! Surfah, Soup, Gidget, Danimal, Faith and I are starting our own rice maker club, and YOU are not invited.

Comment

In unison, let us all turn our noses upwards towards the unwashed masses of rice boilers to welcome our new comrade!
      Rice cookers are for girls. Rice, which is generally the inferior starch, should only be cooked in a pot with beef sausage and chicken. Occasionally, plain white rice (boiled in a regular ol' pot) is acceptable in pudding or for breakfast with cream and sugar, but it is pleasing to me if plain rice is only eaten in winter or times of famine.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

And I apologize profusely for forgetting your fine contributions to that thread. Take note: Surfah and Soup and Robin (and presumably Gidget and Danimal and Faith by extension) are qualified consultants as well.
        My wife is a rice connoisseur who is old-school - but has recently allowed as how maybe, just maybe, she'd like a rice cooker. (Selfishly, I'd like one for the steel-cut oats, which I had not realized could be done in a rice cooker.) We have an occasion coming up that would be an excuse for a gift. So what's the bestest, most state-of-the-art rice cooker for the serious rice eater?
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          My wife is a rice connoisseur who is old-school - but has recently allowed as how maybe, just maybe, she'd like a rice cooker. (Selfishly, I'd like one for the steel-cut oats, which I had not realized could be done in a rice cooker.) We have an occasion coming up that would be an excuse for a gift. So what's the bestest, most state-of-the-art rice cooker for the serious rice eater?
          http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ight=zojirushi

Zojirushi is my favorite. Sanyo and Cuckoo make high end ones though as well.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post

Thanks. I checked the Amazon site for those. There is a bewildering array of choices. I guess I need to learn more about the important considerations.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post

If you don't want to look through that thread, here's a link to the one I have. JeffL has one that similar, IIRC, but not the same one.

I love this thing. But it was not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A7NN4I/...t&linkCode=asn
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Thanks. I checked the Amazon site for those. There is a bewildering array of choices. I guess I need to learn more about the important considerations.
                Their site has a good comparison chart. Not all rice cookers can cook brown rice or oatmeal.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  Rice cookers are for girls. Rice, which is generally the inferior starch, should only be cooked in a pot with beef sausage and chicken. Occasionally, plain white rice (boiled in a regular ol' pot) is acceptable in pudding or for breakfast with cream and sugar, but it is pleasing to me if plain rice is only eaten in winter or times of famine.
                  Mmmmmmm, Jambalya
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• After not being able to find steel cut oats in any of the local grocery stores, my wife called today with the good news that the Mennonites cam through for us and had some at their market. So what are some favorite healthy recipes for them? And do I understand right I need about a half hour to prepare them? Are they any good if you prepare a couple days worth and refriedgerate them or must they be eaten straight away?

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                      After not being able to find steel cut oats in any of the local grocery stores, my wife called today with the good news that the Mennonites cam through for us and had some at their market. So what are some favorite healthy recipes for them? And do I understand right I need about a half hour to prepare them? Are they any good if you prepare a couple days worth and refriedgerate them or must they be eaten straight away?
                      It does keep very well in the refrigerator. I often make a big batch Sunday night, then microwave part of it daily for the rest of the week. I just use the "soup" reheat setting.
                      ― W.H. Auden

Comment

After not being able to find steel cut oats in any of the local grocery stores, my wife called today with the good news that the Mennonites cam through for us and had some at their market. So what are some favorite healthy recipes for them? And do I understand right I need about a half hour to prepare them? Are they any good if you prepare a couple days worth and refriedgerate them or must they be eaten straight away?
                        I do the Alton Brown thing I posted earlier in the thread. I make about 3-4 days worth and reheat it in the fridge.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          I do the Alton Brown thing I posted earlier in the thread. I make about 3-4 days worth and reheat it in the fridge.
                          Thanks for the suggestion. Can you post a picture of how you do that?

Comment

UD, use Alton Brown's simple recipe. I think ERCougar suggested it to me. It works perfectly and is very easy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

As LA Ute suggested, make some on Sunday night or whenever and keep the leftovers for a few days.

AB's recipe yields about 3-4 cups cooked oatmeal, so you can judge accordingly.

If you want to cut calories, forget the buttermilk and just use all milk...or just water (too watery for me).

I usually eat mine for breakfast as follows:

1.3 cups of oatmeal
                            2 teaspoons of brown sugar (i think that is 20 or so calories)
                            1 sliced banana (or 1/2 cup blueberries, or 1 cup strawberries, even I cup diced pineapple tastes awesome)
                            1 tablespoon light peanut butter

Winds up being about 450 calories, some decent protein, and good carbs. And you are full until late morning/early lunch. Esp if you down a glass or two of water after your oats.

yum!
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Is this thread about cereal or what is going on?

I'm not big on cereal. Favorite would be CTC, however.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• This morning I had some Trader Joe's brand Honey Nut O's.

Comment

Working...
                                X