What cereal do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Look at the reason it gives for oatmeal being a good breakfast. Essentially it is saying eat oatmeal because it tricks you into feeling full. What's it's not saying is that while a bowl of steel cut oatmeal has 4g of fiber, it also has 27g of carbs. Meanwhile, Lucky Charms has 2.9g fiber and 29g carbs. Those are nearly a wash, nutritionally. Your body doesn't really know the difference between steel cut oats and lucky charms. It's going to make a cortisol dump either way.

Bacon and eggs would be much better for diabetes than oatmeal. Of course, their recommendation is to offset that with some oatmeal. Ingest some carbs to offset the fat. Oh brother. 1994 called and it wants its dietetics back. Remember back when the dept of agriculture recommended the food pyramid (you know, the one that causes diabetes by encouraging 6-11 servings of grains per day). It seemed like a good idea. We now know it isn't. So i''m going to go ahead and take the diabetes council's blog with a grain (pun!) of salt. Some good info there (don't drink juice, smoothies, etc.), but also some very bad info.
    Sure, you should limit carbs of all kinds. But to lump all carbs in the same basket is just as dumb as some of the fads (zero fat for example) we have done in the past.

And for the record, I am not the one that promoted oatmeal in this thread! That is your strawman, buddy. Sugar-sweetened cereal is one of the most unhealthy things you can eat.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Look at the reason it gives for oatmeal being a good breakfast. Essentially it is saying eat oatmeal because it tricks you into feeling full. What's it's not saying is that while a bowl of steel cut oatmeal has 4g of fiber, it also has 27g of carbs. Meanwhile, Lucky Charms has 2.9g fiber and 29g carbs. Those are nearly a wash, nutritionally. Your body doesn't really know the difference between steel cut oats and lucky charms. It's going to make a cortisol dump either way.

I hope not. That would make my blood glucose rise even further!
      I assume you meant insulin.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Sure, you should limit carbs of all kinds. But to lump all carbs in the same basket is just as dumb as some of the fads (zero fat for example) we have done in the past.

And for the record, I am not the one that promoted oatmeal in this thread! That is your strawman, buddy. Sugar-sweetened cereal is one of the most unhealthy things you can eat.
      Thanks mom
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        I hope not. That would make my blood glucose rise even further!
        I assume you meant insulin.
        Nope, I meant cortisol.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Haha. Look how defensive you guys are about your cereal.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Nope, I meant cortisol.
            I'm going to have to review my endocrinology then. I know it's been reported that high glycemic foods increase cortisol levels, but I'm not sure how important or significant that is. Cortisol is mainly a stress hormone that mobilizes blood glucose, so it's counterintuitive to me that a high sugar meal which triggers insulin to decrease blood glucose would also lead to cortisol production. But I'll freely admit my ignorance here.

Do we have an endocrinologist here?
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Lebowski's wife won't let him buy sugar cereals.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Haha. Look how defensive you guys are about your cereal.

Nobody is arguing that cereal is good for you. Just like nobody is arguing that chocolate cake is good for you. But we're saying that oatmeal, much like cereal, is not good for you, and is not a good breakfast for anyone with diabetic concerns.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Nobody is arguing that cereal is good for you. Just like nobody is arguing that chocolate cake is good for you. But we're saying that oatmeal, much like cereal, is not good for you, and is not a good breakfast for anyone with diabetic concerns.
                  There is that oatmeal straw man again!

Comment

There is that oatmeal straw man again!
                    The diabetes discussion started because of a meme about oatmeal, to which I pointed out that oatmeal is not good for diabetes, just like sugared cereal is not good for diabetes. You swooped in and shared a link and a quote saying that oatmeal is great for diabetes. I disputed that, and you are now trying to allege that oatmeal is a straw man--an allegation which is, in and of itself, a red herring.

Comment

• So JL has time to track down and link to articles extolling the virtues of oatmeal for diabetics, but can't find the time to pick a couple of teams to lose on Thursday?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• there’s some evidence to support the value of drastically limiting carbs. anecdotally, i’ve had success losing weight and controlling my insulin requirements by basically eating no carbs.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          So JL has time to track down and link to articles extolling the virtues of oatmeal for diabetics, but can't find the time to pick a couple of teams to lose on Thursday?
                          hey that might take him 30 seconds. maybe 35.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Haha.

How do you people eat this crap?
                            I eat cold cereal for dessert dude. It's delicious to the taste and very desirable. Probably better for me than ice cream? Maybe there is research that shows this.

(Two fried eggs + DMD for brekkie as I've documented elsewhere.)
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              I eat cold cereal for dessert dude. It's delicious to the taste and very desirable.

The occasional cold cereal dessert makes total sense.

Daily breakfast?

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                                I eat cold cereal for dessert dude. It's delicious to the taste and very desirable. Probably better for me than ice cream? Maybe there is research that shows this.

Yep. I've said many times that if I had to pick life without ice cream or life without cold cereal, it would be difficult, but I would probably ditch ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                                X