Jim Holt: "The weirdness of existence"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Holt: "The weirdness of existence"

The weirdness of existence is a wonderful phrase. I remember feeling it all over, like a physical sensation, as a small child, before all kinds of distracting desires and needs started to intrude my mind. I'd come home from church, and gazing at my hand, realize that nobody, not my parents, not my teachers, nobody, really knew anything. In some ways I was wiser at age 5 than 19.

A British astrophysicist said that pondering the question “Why is there something rather than nothing?” could “tear the mind asunder.”
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...?smid=pl-share
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

This is one of my favorite subjects, why anything exists at all. I've often tried to contemplate nothingness, nihilism to the -nth, and my mind shuts down once I picture infinite blackness. Honestly, this probably keeps a kernel of faith alive in my heart more than anything else, the eternal question of why anything actually is.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showth...ighlight=weird
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

It is totally weird living in this face, piloting around this skin and bone vehicle trying to feel good.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

So one person here thinks existence isn't weird--LAUte. Why am I not surprised.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
            It is totally weird living in this face, piloting around this skin and bone vehicle trying to feel good.
            That sounds like it should go in the song lyrics thread.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              That sounds like it should go in the song lyrics thread.
              That's off the dome, son!
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

It might also be weird if nothing existed, so if it's a binary exchange of two weirdnesses the lesser weirdness wins out.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  This is one of my favorite subjects, why anything exists at all.
                  Who says that it does?
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    Who says that it does?
                    True, but esse est percipi.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      True, but esse est percipi.
                      I thought it was cogito ergo sum.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

To be sentient and yet finite is just a difficult state of affairs to grasp. We have come up with infinite ways to cope, but the need to seems near universal.

Comment

Right. I don't find the existence of life or human beings to be that strange, but the existence of the universe is strange and clearly still unexplained.

As far as we understand energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed. So how did energy/matter come into existence in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                            Right. I don't find the existence of life or human beings to be that strange, but the existence of the universe is strange and clearly still unexplained.

As far as we understand energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed. So how did energy/matter come into existence in the first place?
                            I don't understand it at all, but don't many physicists now think that energy/matter can just pop into existence?

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              I don't understand it at all, but don't many physicists now think that energy/matter can just pop into existence?
                              It would be nice to see if that is correct. Matter and properties are somehow created through the Higgs Boson, the Higgs Field and the Higgs Mechanism.

However, simply "popping" into existence is not the common phraseology, but may reflect the state of the Higgs field upon the "existence" of the Higgs Boson. The Goddamn particle refers to the Higgs Boson, necessary for the creation of matter and perhaps energy and properties.

This clumsy explanation will yield to one better qualified to explain a complex network of theoretical particle physics.

Do you believe the "theory of everything" as inspired by M-Theory, or Kaluza-Klein theory holds the possibility of explaining the existence of everything?
                              Last edited by Topper; 07-18-2012, 10:05 PM.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X