Stephen Covey Dies at 79.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Covey Dies at 79.

His grandson just posted something on facebook. It was related to the bicycle accident he had a few months ago.
    what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

Very sad for many. I didn't like the man, but I hope his family finds comfort.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I know his youngest daughter fairly well (she married one of my good friends / roommates) and spent some time over at the Coveys in my college years (both in their older humble home and the big new one).

Stephen Covey was good man and did great things. I know some people are uncomfortable w/ the perception that he mechanized and monetized the spiritual principles of Mormonism, but I think that's mostly silly. The 7 Habits franchise has an overwhelmingly positive impact on the lives of people that embrace them.

But that aside - my multiple encounters with him always impressed me w/ how authentic and unaffected he was. He was always kind and welcoming to his kids friends but w/o trying too hard the way some parents do.

Bottom line for me is that he lived a values-driven life, raised a great family who are all conscientious and caring people and was a force for good in the lives of people adopted his thinking.

RIP Stephen R.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
        I know his youngest daughter fairly well (she married one of my good friends / roommates) and spent some time over at the Coveys in my college years (both in their older humble home and the big new one).

Stephen Covey was good man and did great things. I know some people are uncomfortable w/ the perception that he mechanized and monetized the spiritual principles of Mormonism, but I think that's mostly silly. The 7 Habits franchise has an overwhelmingly positive impact on the lives of people that embrace them.

But that aside - my multiple encounters with him always impressed me w/ how authentic and unaffected he was. He was always kind and welcoming to his kids friends but w/o trying too hard the way some parents do.

Bottom line for me is that he lived a values-driven life, raised a great family who are all conscientious and caring people and was a force for good in the lives of people adopted his thinking.

RIP Stephen R.
        I agree 100%, ox. Many years ago when I first encountered his books (e.g., Spiritual Roots of Human Relations) I didn't like his approach at all. Too many formulaic checklists for me. Later, in my prior law firm, back in the 90s, we got into 7 Habits training and I ended up being one of the trainers. I spent a lot of time with Covey's people and became very familiar with the way his organization ran. The Steven Covey persona (and that of many of his people) was off-putting to some, but everyone -- even my hard-bitten old litigator partners -- admitted he had something important to offer and they tried to incorporate much of it into their lives. It helped our firm. I think he helped a great many people. RIP indeed.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I didn't know him that well as I read the Seven Habits book and that was it. But my kids have been friends with some of his grandkids and they are outstanding people. Smart, kind, friendly, humble, etc.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post

What a stupid reason to dislike the man. People are so pathetic with their petty jealousies. It's not even true. Mormonism did not innovate the 7 Habits. Good grief, Mormons. The world isn't all about you.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Good grief, Mormons. The world isn't all about you.
              pshaw. And who do you think created the world? The correct answer is...the Mormons.

Comment

The Covey clan were good people. Was in a married BYU ward with one of his kids. They hosted a few activites at their cabin.

On a humorous note, Covey's daughter-in-law left a nasty note on my car one evening because she decided I was in her parking space in our apartment complex parking lot. She was not correct and her note had an aura of entitlement that didn't sit well with me. Rather than move my car, I left a note on my car explaining that this parking spot didn't belong to anyone as it was unassigned. She left another note on my car explaining that since she had been parking there the past couple of weeks, that the space should be hers. I left another note explaining that her two weeks were up and that this car would not be moving for another two weeks. She thought I was kidding. I didn't move the car since I walked to campus every day and used my wife's car if I needed to go somewhere. We exchanged more notes. Most were civil, some were humorus. It was obvious she didn't know who I was because I always left the notes on my car late at night on my way back from campus. She started asking about the owner of the car with Nebraska plates at church. I was warned, so when she approached me asking where I was from, I told her I was from Canada. After two weeks, I finally moved my car and sure enough, her car was parked in the space on my return.

I forgot about the incident and gave up my claim to the space as there was usually other parking closer to my door. At one of the ward activities at the Covey cabin, I made the mistake of wearing a Nebraska football jersey and she ID me as the owner of the car with Nebraska plates that had parked in HER parking space. But she did think my notes were funny and cute now that she had her parking space back. Her Covey husband told me in private that he had advised his wife to remove her first nasty note because "who knows, that person might leave that car there for days just out of spite". Covey was very perceptive...perhaps inspired?
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                X