Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

SkyDrive has changed their name to OneDrive, and if you sign up you get 7 gigs free. I guess I'm a convert as I use OneDrive as my main depository (repository?) for personal files, and Dropbox for professional files to share.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 02-20-2014 at 01:52 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    SkyDrive has changed their name to OneDrive, and if you sign up you get 7 gigs free. I guess I'm a convert as I use OneDrive as my main depository for personal files, and Dropbox for professional files to share.
    And it is buggy as hell. What a disastrous roll-out.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    And it is buggy as hell. What a disastrous roll-out.
    I guess I'm not up-to-date. I withdraw my recommendation.

What's the problem with OneDrive?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I guess I'm not up-to-date. I withdraw my recommendation.

What's the problem with OneDrive?
    I use OneNote and store all of my notebooks on my SkyDrive (now OneDrive) account on the cloud. Completely stopped working today. I spent several hours trying to fix it. Nothing but error messages.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

i've had a bunch of problems with skydrive's authentication server for quite a while. i finally just wrote a batch script to force kill the process, delete skydrive from the credential manager, and reopen whatever i was working in so i can manually login. i have to run it 2-3 times per day. it seems like the best solution for now.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Was reading some movie reviews for Locke and stumbled on this LA Times piece about "The Grand Pour":

<http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-w...#axzz30d6HVucC>

Behind the Grand Pour: Building L.A.'s new tallest tower

Over the next three years, workers will raise the New Wilshire Grand tower 1,100 feet above the corner of Figueroa Street and Wilshire Boulevard. With an open promenade and an enormous swoop of glass above the entrance, this translucent airplane wing 73 stories tall promises to redefine architectural possibilities in a city not known for its tall buildings.

Beneath its design is the engineering of what is arguably the most complicated high-rise ever built in the United States. Calculated to sway during powerful Santa Anas and absorb ground movement during the most severe earthquakes, it is wedded aesthetically and technically to the unique footprint of the region.

[...]

Let other skyscrapers in other cities be built upon piles and caissons driven into bedrock. The foundation for the Wilshire Grand is a concrete slab.

Its specifications were drawn up by engineers, who after calculating the height and weight of the tower and the forces associated with earthquakes and windstorms, determined that it needed to contain 21,200 cubic yards of concrete and 7.1 million pounds of reinforcing steel ... 2,120 truckloads of concrete in a hole 18 feet deep and nearly two-thirds the size of a football field. It had to be poured without interruption in less than 30 hours.

[...]

Marchesano and his team had begun preparing nearly a year earlier: filing permits for street closures, having bus lines rerouted, ordering back-up equipment and calculating drive times.

More than 350 workers would be on site, and 227 trucks on the road, looping from batch plants to downtown and back. Any glitch, injury, accident or freeway snarl would jeopardize the plan, and that wasn't even taking into account the weather. Rain or a heat wave could force delays.
    Fascinating read... especially for the engineers.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

As I do every Thursday, I was perusing OUT, when I came across a nice little article. Robert Deniro talks about his gay father, in preparation for an upcoming HBO documentary.

This is grotty to the max, but just like with any submarine wreck, you can't look away.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    This is grotty to the max, but just like with any submarine wreck, you can't look away.
    Two points:
    A) I always thought it was grody. However, I can't recall ever writing that word, regardless of spelling
    2) Get that zappato junk, in some other thread. That was neither interesting, nor was there anything to read other than a few dumb comments at the bottom.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 06-03-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Was reading some movie reviews for Locke and stumbled on this LA Times piece about "The Grand Pour":

<http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-w...#axzz30d6HVucC>

Fascinating read... especially for the engineers.
    I've been watching this go up. The cooling system mentioned in the article you linked reminds me of what was done with the Hoover Dam.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Two points:
    A) I always thought it was grody. However, I can't recall ever recall writing that word, regardless of spelling
    Grody or grodie are both correct. Grotty is the diminutive form of the place where Hugh takes the bunnies.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Grody or grodie are both correct. Grotty is the diminutive form of the place where Hugh takes the bunnies.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grotty
    See also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwnage
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

That crap means nothing to me.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That crap means nothing to me.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/duh

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Additionally, we're not British.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grotty

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

My friend is a reporter for public radio and NPR picked up a recent story of hers about the BYU bell tower that someone might find interesting. I just assumed it was all automated.
    http://www.npr.org/2014/07/17/332351...ing-nationwide
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    My friend is a reporter for public radio and NPR picked up a recent story of hers about the BYU bell tower that someone might find interesting. I just assumed it was all automated.
    http://www.npr.org/2014/07/17/332351...ing-nationwide
    You are friends with Julie Rose? Up until she moved back to Utah a few months back she was in my stake, and worked for the public radio station here. I didn't know her well, only had one sustained conversation with her that I remember, but she seemed cool, and I liked a lot of the stories she did. She would occasionally work Mormon stuff into her stories.

Yeah. We hung out quite a bit in SLC and eventually became music festival buddies. Three Coachellas, a Sasquatch, and a Lollapolooza together. She's loads of fun, sharp as a tack, but a little too much energy for this cowboy. It was always fun to be surprised by one of her stories out of South Carolina. Especially during the election. She did a genealogy one too about how being able to trace yourself back to Adam is likely wrong that got some good press.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Yeah. We hung out quite a bit in SLC and eventually became music festival buddies. Three Coachellas, a Sasquatch, and a Lollapolooza together. She's loads of fun, sharp as a tack, but a little too much energy for this cowboy. It was always fun to be surprised by one of her stories out of South Carolina. Especially during the election. She did a genealogy one too about how being able to trace yourself back to Adam is likely wrong that got some good press.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Doh! Not sure why I got Charlotte mixed up with Charleston when I typed that. Sorry!

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I'd never forget you were from the same state as Petey Pablo!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I'd never forget you were from the same state as Petey Pablo!
    Take your shirt off. Twist it round yo head. Spin it like a helicopter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Pretty much the greatest interview ever given.
    http://www.gq.com/entertainment/cele...408/kanye-west
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    MG, I hope you never lose your dinosaur.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

You probably should read more interviews.

or read, in general.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    MG, I hope you never lose your dinosaur.
    I lol'ed so many times, and that was definitely one of them. That interview is loaded with gems.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Love this about Kim in school:

But you're mad because basically Kim is the type of girl that, her entire life, if you were in school with her, most people would be studying and up late nights, but for some reason she would have the skill set to go and grab the one book, turn to the exact page, and just magically say, "That's the exact answer." Or she could wink at the person who had done all the work and get it done anyway. And the point of life is getting shit done and being happy.
    I'm guessing she did more winking and less book grabbing.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I'm somewhat violating the unwritten rules of this thread, and posting videos This is series by Vice News, about the Islamic State; it is fascinating. Regardless of ones feelings about the middle east, this is well worth watching. https://news.vice.com/video/the-islamic-state-part-1