Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    This is what happens when you listen to too many bill simmons podcasts.
    Lol. That is some funny stuff. But so true. Only Simmons' rambling/whining about the Celtics, Red Sox, or Patriots will get me to tune out faster than one of his sports/pop culture historical change hypotheticals.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I found this interview of Mario Cuomo's significant other, Ms. Semi-Ho-Made herself, entertaining:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/ma...andra-lee.html
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    This is what happens when you listen to too many bill simmons podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Lol. That is some funny stuff. But so true. Only Simmons' rambling/whining about the Celtics, Red Sox, or Patriots will get me to tune out faster than one of his sports/pop culture historical change hypotheticals.
    i agree with both of you. I probably started thinking about this after hearing one of Simmons' nasally tangents. He and I are almost exactly the same age, and seemed to watch the same TV shows/movies growing up (there weren't a lot of viewing choices, back then), but I can't stand any of his Boston fanboy stuff.

What is weird about my question, is I wrote that before reading the Klosterman book, DH suggested to me, about that exact subject. I will have to remember to share that at the next F&T meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Now will you stop pretending like you don't listen to Adam Carolla's podcast?

Now will you stop pretending like you don't listen to Adam Carolla's podcast?
    I do listen to it occasionally, but all the f-bombs make me feel (a little) guilty afterwards. Did he interview this guy? I would like to listen to that.

Actually, the podcast I found most interesting, after reading Carolla's book, was the Dr. Drew one with Ray and Chris. Check it out, if you haven't already done so.

This is several months old, but easily one of the best things I've read in some time. Very inspiring and a kick in the ass for living an easy life getting fat off of undeserved blessings.

http://m.runnersworld.com/runners-st...fe?page=single

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Polish musician replicates Da Vinci's "viola organista" invented around 1480. Apparently Da Vinci never built it but had drawn out the plans and this guy followed them. I'd be curious to know how detailed the plans were and how much was modern guessing. Video about halfway down. Sounds really cool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...und-cello.html

article-2509546-1964A3DA00000578-252_634x425.jpg

The numerous attorneys on here, as well as the rest of us, who will likely one day need a good attorney, may find this interesting. An asst DA goes out of his way to get arrested, a much harder feat than he anticipated. Then gives an inside look at the justice system, through the eyes of defendant. I found it well worth my time to read this.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...system/282360/

Ok, this time I'm not joking, this one is really worth reading :boywhocrieswolf:

A fantastic breakdown of the final 29 seconds from game 6 of last years finals, AKA the Ray Allen game.

As a young player in Milwaukee, Allen invented a drill in which he lies in the key, springs to his feet and backpedals to the corner. A coach throws him a pass. He has to catch and shoot without stepping on the three-point line or the sideline. In Allen's first training session with the Heat, just after Labor Day 2012, he performed the drill. "It was the first time I ever saw anybody do that," Spoelstra says. "He told me he does it for offensive rebounding purposes. He said, 'You never know when you'll be in a situation where you have to find the three-point line without looking down.' "
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 12-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Ok, this time I'm not joking, this one is really worth reading :boywhocrieswolf:

A fantastic breakdown of the final 29 seconds from game 6 of last years finals, AKA the Ray Allen game.
    Eff you.
    *Banned*

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

ha. I was about to say, worth reading unless you're CJ. In that case, avert thine eyes!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

A worthy read if you're tired of the virus of viral internet posts. http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reason...013/?page=full

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

I read this piece on Grantland last week when the following post from Bill Simmons appeared on my fb feed:
    This piece by Caleb Hannan is a must-read.
    http://grantland.com/features/a-myst...olf-club-dr-v/
    It's a weird story which takes a really weird twist at the end. ESPN, Grantland, and Bill Simmons are now apologizing profusely for the article.

I read this piece on Grantland last week when the following post from Bill Simmons appeared on my fb feed:

It's a weird story which takes a really weird twist at the end. ESPN, Grantland, and Bill Simmons are now apologizing profusely for the article.
    I thought it was a great article. I don't think they should have to apologize. They told a story.

I'm not terribly familiar with the transgendered community, but I really have a hard time seeing why the reporters disclosure to the investor was so bad. It was the truth and it was public information, as was her falsified credentials. I read a few of the criticisms and still haven't come around on it yet. I think it's too easy to say that her suicide was the result of potentially being "outed," when her status as a transgendered female seemed to be well-known in Gilbert. It may well have been that she was fearful of being exposed for having lied about her professional background.

Default Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I'm not terribly familiar with the transgendered community, but I really have a hard time seeing why the reporters disclosure to the investor was so bad. It was the truth and it was public information, as was her falsified credentials. I read a few of the criticisms and still haven't come around on it yet. I think it's too easy to say that her suicide was the result of potentially being "outed," when her status as a transgendered female seemed to be well-known in Gilbert. It may well have been that she was fearful of being exposed for having lied about her professional background.
    Not only that, but, if Grantland is to be believed, there was never a threat made by Hannan to out her in the article. The first time that possibility came up was when she emailed him to threaten consequences if he outed her.

Still, as I step back, I do wonder how much relevance her transgender status has to the story. On the one hand, the entire story is about obfuscation, so it seems like another piece of the puzzle. On the other hand, if Hannan had merely discovered that she was a closeted homosexual, that probably wouldn't have made it into the story, as her sexual orientation isn't relevant at all. And therein, i think, lies the outrage from the TG community--they want the same protections and respect which are currently being given to homosexuals.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 01-21-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Still, as I step back, I do wonder how much relevance her transgender status has to the story. On the one hand, the entire story is about obfuscation, so it seems like another piece of the puzzle. On the other hand, if Hannan had merely discovered that she was a closeted homosexual, that probably wouldn't have made it into the story, as her sexual orientation isn't relevant at all. And therein, i think, lies the outrage from the TG community--they want the same protections and respect which is currently being given to homosexuals.
    Good point. Her transgender status plays a significant role in that that her name and gender changed, which allowed her to draw a bright line between her past and her fraudulent present. The reason Essay Anne Vanderbilt was able to fabricate so much was because her history was largely written as Stephen Krol.

Not only that, but, if Grantland is to be believed, there was never a threat made by Hannan to out her in the article. The first time that possibility came up was when she emailed him to threaten consequences if he outed her.

Still, as I step back, I do wonder how much relevance her transgender status has to the story. On the one hand, the entire story is about obfuscation, so it seems like another piece of the puzzle. On the other hand, if Hannan had merely discovered that she was a closeted homosexual, that probably wouldn't have made it into the story, as her sexual orientation isn't relevant at all. And therein, i think, lies the outrage from the TG community--they want the same protections and respect which is currently being given to homosexuals.
    I read the story, and while I can't quite put my finger on it, something about it did not sit well. Since this putter is basically still unknown, I didn't think the background on Dr. V. deserved the the amount of emphasis it did. I think the story probably should have been delcined by Grantland's editors.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I read the story. As a golfer I even remember Gary McCord making his comments on the air. The "story" had a tone about it that was off putting. It didn't draw me in, and as it progressed it became a bit too personal between subject and writer. Ultimately, I didn't feel it was worth my time to have read it, and I rarely, if ever, feel that way.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-21-2014 at 05:46 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I read the story. As a golfer I even remember Gary McCord making his comments on the air. The "story" had a tone about it that was off putting. It didn't draw me in, and as it progressed it became a bit too personal between subject and writer. Ultimately, I didn't feel it was worth my time to have read it, and I rarely, if ever, feel that way.
    It was quite a sub-par effort. I'm sure your memory of the story will quickly fade. Any way you slice it, the author seemed to be pushing an agenda when he teed off on Dr. V.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    It was quite a sub-par effort. I'm sure your memory of the story will quickly fade. Any way you slice it, the author seemed to be pushing an agenda when he teed off on Dr. V.
    It was going to fade until you told me it would fade, and now its embedded even more...

I counted four very poor golf analogies in your post. A snowman to be sure.

Pretty funny Ksl ad.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1156688?ad_cid=1

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Pretty funny Ksl ad.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1156688?ad_cid=1

i just texted him and asked if he'll take $40 and a randy travis poster in fair condition.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

FDA approves pill camera to screen colon

A kinder, gentler approach to one of the most dreaded exams in medicine is on the way: U.S. regulators have cleared a bite-size camera to help screen patients who have trouble with colonoscopies.
    d728d07d-87f7-4b85-baf6-7540d3a22af6-small.jpg

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-03-13-30-46
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

I thought this was a pretty good read about Russell Brand and his heroine addiction.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...-without-drugs

*Banned*

Great article

I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Here's a Q & A with Shaun White from Snowboarder Magazine. It's pretty revealing I thought. It gets into the dynamic of the snowboarding community and Shaun White's relationship with the tour and other snowboarders. If any of you saw the documentary about Kevin Pearce called Crash Reel this Q & A is really interesting.

http://www.snowboardermag.com/shaun-...nterview-2014/
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Apparently the world lost an artistic savant last year. This article provides a look into short the life of an amazingly talented person. The included video clip is also worth watching.

Apparently the world lost an artistic savant last year. This article provides a look into short the life of an amazingly talented person. The included video clip is also worth watching.
    Wow. Watched the video. That will stay with me for a long time.