Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Probably because I'm a simpleton, I've always been fascinated with D.B. Cooper. It is looking like they have maybe figured out who he is and that he was involved with the CIA.

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenew...s-12543305.php
    I've also long been a DBC enthusiast. Must be a NW thing. Cool article.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    http://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01/0...nt-judge-says/
    Kind of cool 4th amendment story out of Idaho, but the winning quote came from the comments.

"I hear the Tabernacle Choir does a lovely cover of 'F the police' by NWA..."

Maybe I'll put it in the suggestion box . . . nah.
    After seeing this post, I brought up this case in our Gospel Principles class a few weeks ago. The Idaho State Police trooper in attendance said there was other information that didn't get included in the case that led to the officer asserting "independent reasonable suspicion". Sadly, I don't remember how I tied it in to the lesson.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Really sad but needed story about drug addiction and a NFL player.

http://www.nola.com/living/index.ssf...r_orleans_news

Well, I guess when you have had enormous success and are 85 years old, you can speak your mind.

My favorite from the interview, Quincy Jones being asked about the Beatles

That they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and Ringo had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, motherfucker because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

The White Darkness

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...white-darkness

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The White Darkness

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...white-darkness

Why do we need to know that this was... Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk ???
    Thanks for that link. One year ago today I was on a cruise ship that left Cape Horn in the morning and was headed for Antarctica for four days. We learned about Shackleton and many of the other early explorers as well as modern day scientists. Hiking 1000 miles across Antarctica is something very serious. I'm not too far into this article yet, but I intend to read the whole thing.

Thanks for sharing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/0....html?referer=

Devastating story about mental illness and homelessness.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

And now the great ed hochuli is retiring from reffing.
    He had a great run. He will be sorely missed.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    And now the great ed hochuli is retiring from reffing.
    He had a great run. He will be sorely missed.
    But still accepting Christmas gifts...
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...breast-cancer/

Read it before someone quotes it in church.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post

That was interesting. Highlight for me is simply that science and politics are so intertwined in current day America that it is all suspect. Even being an expert in the field does not seem to be sufficient to inoculate against biased studies. It extrapolates easily to any hot topic, economic policy, climate, gun control, etc. Who do you trust if you aren't allowed a view into the motivations behind research?

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    That was interesting. Highlight for me is simply that science and politics are so intertwined in current day America that it is all suspect. Even being an expert in the field does not seem to be sufficient to inoculate against biased studies. It extrapolates easily to any hot topic, economic policy, climate, gun control, etc. Who do you trust if you aren't allowed a view into the motivations behind research?

Right? I learned a lot from that article and came away with that same takeaway. Lobbyists run the world.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post

Yikes, that is long. I only skimmed it.

So yes, there is consistent epidemiologic data linking increased drinking with breast cancer. But there is only a modest (1.5 X) risk in women who are heavy drinkers (~3 drinks/day). Common things being common (as breast cancer and drinking are), it is easy to power a study sufficiently to see an association. But even in well-controlled groups with a ton of data, epidemiologic studies should always be interpreted with caution. Just ask an internist who has tried to follow the recommendations of post-menopausal estrogen supplementation during the last 2 decades.

It is interesting she quoted the breast cancer risk in Utah and linked it to alcohol consumption. Again, a large grain of salt is needed here. Anyone old enough to remember the fanfare following the study linking coffee consumption with pancreatic cancer in Mormon circles? It was quickly debunked.

The author was young and got breast cancer. She didn't have any of the typical risk factors for early breast cancer, so she pinned the culprit on alcohol. I'm not saying that didn't cause her cancer, but for most non-inherited breast cancer patients, it's just bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Yikes, that is long. I only skimmed it.

So yes, there is consistent epidemiologic data linking increased drinking with breast cancer. But there is only a modest (1.5 X) risk in women who are heavy drinkers (~3 drinks/day). Common things being common (as breast cancer and drinking are), it is easy to power a study sufficiently to see an association. But even in well-controlled groups with a ton of data, epidemiologic studies should always be interpreted with caution. Just ask an internist who has tried to follow the recommendations of post-menopausal estrogen supplementation during the last 2 decades.

It is interesting she quoted the breast cancer risk in Utah and linked it to alcohol consumption. Again, a large grain of salt is needed here. Anyone old enough to remember the fanfare following the study linking coffee consumption with pancreatic cancer in Mormon circles? It was quickly debunked.

The author was young and got breast cancer. She didn't have any of the typical risk factors for early breast cancer, so she pinned the culprit on alcohol. I'm not saying that didn't cause her cancer, but for most non-inherited breast cancer patients, it's just bad luck.
    What do you think causes the very low cancer rates in Utah? Other than smoking?

Has the coffee = low prostate cancer thing been debunked?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    What do you think causes the very low cancer rates in Utah? Other than smoking?

Has the coffee = low prostate cancer thing been debunked?
    I'm not well-versed in how low and in which types the cancer risk is in Utah. But since Utah most likely has a disproportionally lower cohort of heavy smokers and drinkers, you should clearly see decreased lung, bladder, liver, esophageal, and head and neck cancers. There's no shipbuilding yards in Utah that I know of, so you're likely missing out on some mesotheliomas...

I've heard the link between decreased prostate cancer and coffee consumption, but I don't know how strong that is. The study that I saw found the association with 3 or more cups of coffee a day. I may be setting myself up for prostate cancer, as I only drink 2/day

I'm not well-versed in how low and in which types the cancer risk is in Utah. But since Utah most likely has a disproportionally lower cohort of heavy smokers and drinkers, you should clearly see decreased lung, bladder, liver, esophageal, and head and neck cancers. There's no shipbuilding yards in Utah that I know of, so you're likely missing out on some mesotheliomas...

I've heard the link between decreased prostate cancer and coffee consumption, but I don't know how strong that is. The study that I saw found the association with 3 or more cups of coffee a day. I may be setting myself up for prostate cancer, as I only drink 2/day
    Amateur. 3-4 cups a day here.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Amateur. 3-4 cups a day here.
    Don't mess with tea. The tannins will turn your stomach to leather. I learned from one of my mission companions that they found some bones of a british soldier in the Sahara Desert. There was this curious leather pouch that had also survived with the bones. When they took it back to England, it was identified as the soldier's stomach, WHICH HAD BEEN TURNED TO LEATHER BY THE TANNINS FOUND IN ENGLISH TEA!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Don't mess with tea. The tannins will turn your stomach to leather. I learned from one of my mission companions that they found some bones of a british soldier in the Sahara Desert. There was this curious leather pouch that had also survived with the bones. When they took it back to England, it was identified as the soldier's stomach, WHICH HAD BEEN TURNED TO LEATHER BY THE TANNINS FOUND IN ENGLISH TEA!
    Oh man. That story about the British soldier never made itís way to Southern California. I could have persuaded so many more people to live the Word of Wisdom.

Although, after being convinced by a companion that the best way to neutralize and dispose of marijuana was to cook it on the stove in a pan with Bacardi, maybe any more successful 4th discussions would have just resulted in my incarceration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

The discovery of 16 million tons of mud containing rare earth elements (enough to last the world for several centuries, apparently) seems like a pretty big deal but hasn't been mentioned much in the news. China controls nearly all of the rare earth elements (used in a variety of high tech devices), so what might have been a potentially harmful monopoly against the U.S. is no more. I just want to celebrate (really, and no, I didn't post this for the sake of that last quip).

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The discovery of 16 million tons of mud containing rare earth elements (enough to last the world for several centuries, apparently) seems like a pretty big deal but hasn't been mentioned much in the news. China controls nearly all of the rare earth elements (used in a variety of high tech devices), so what might have been a potentially harmful monopoly against the U.S. is no more. I just want to celebrate (really, and no, I didn't post this for the sake of that last quip).
    Wow. That is very cool.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    This should help Japan's economy recover a lot faster. I wonder if the US will look at rejoining the TPP now.

Rare earth minerals contain rare earth elements (located here on the periodic table) that are used in high-tech devices like smartphones, missile systems, radar devices and hybrid vehicles.
    Cool... we can build more missiles to bomb Syria with.

I know that rare earth magnets are used in small motors (like the one that makes your smartphone vibrate). I didn't know they were used in larger electric motors/generators like those in hybrid/electric vehicles (but not Teslas) or wind turbines. Of course, room temperature superconductors could change all of that.

Some other uses for rare earth minerals: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-17357863
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Maybe She Had So Much Money She Just Lost Track of It.
    Somebody had to foot the bill for Anna Delvey’s fabulous new life. The city was full of marks.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/05/how-a...-new-york.html
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Good article on rapidly declining water in some Arizona wells. Basically, lack of adequate regulation has allowed the growing agriculture sector to deplete water, which has forced residents to abandon homes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/m...f-arizona.html

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Good article on rapidly declining water in some Arizona wells. Basically, lack of adequate regulation has allowed the growing agriculture sector to deplete water, which has forced residents to abandon homes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/m...f-arizona.html
    I just finished reading that. It seems that nobody wants to actually make some rules to keep from using up all of the water in Arizona. I guess it will eventually turn back into a desert there.

It makes me happy that I now live where it's still okay to waste water. (Just kidding, 30 years in California taught me to conserve.)

Absolutely crazy story about stolen winning McDonaldís monopoly tickets. Long article, but worth it. This caught my interest from the beginning:

Jacobson was the head of a sprawling network of mobsters, psychics, strip club owners, convicts, drug traffickers, and even a family of Mormons, who had falsely claimed more than $24 million in cash and prizes.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an...stole-millions

I have no memory of this; does anyone else? Like the article states, maybe itís because the trial started on September 10, 2001.

Absolutely crazy story about stolen winning McDonald’s monopoly tickets. Long article, but worth it. This caught my interest from the beginning:

I have no memory of this; does anyone else? Like the article states, maybe it’s because the trial started on September 10, 2001.
    Wow! That was really interesting.

Absolutely crazy story about stolen winning McDonaldís monopoly tickets. Long article, but worth it. This caught my interest from the beginning:

I have no memory of this; does anyone else? Like the article states, maybe itís because the trial started on September 10, 2001.

"The government also took everything he owned. Back in Lawrenceville, his neighbors watched as agents drove away in his brand new Honda S2000 sports car, and other vehicles including a luxury Acura, a minivan, and an í86 Chevy El Camino."

Living large!
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    "The government also took everything he owned. Back in Lawrenceville, his neighbors watched as agents drove away in his brand new Honda S2000 sports car, and other vehicles including a luxury Acura, a minivan, and an ’86 Chevy El Camino."

Living large!
    "Yeah man... El Camino"

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

GOP politician helps towns enact anti-illegal immigration ordinances, towns lose in court, have to pay hefty fines, and politician still gets paid. Real-life Music Man, or the monorail salesman on Simpsons. Whatever your generation prefers:

https://www.propublica.org/article/k...rtroom-defeats