Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Is there already a thread to post random articles (not thoughts) that don't really fall into particular category? Regardless, this a real interesting interview with Michael Keaton. It even has a small Jimmer tidbit in the story.
    Some fun videos linked from that piece:

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Here is a good article about one of the best actors working today - Bryan Cranston.

Originally posted by Bryan Cranston
        Do you believe in evil?

"Yeah. I think it's right next to good, inside every person."

And have you encountered it yourself?

"I had one girlfriend I wanted to kill."

It was a woman he dated after his short-lived first marriage. She was a drug addict, terribly unstable, and she followed Cranston to New York when he left L.A. to work on the soap opera Loving. She stalked him, leaving messages on his answering machine: "I'm gonna kill you. I'm gonna cut your balls off. I'm gonna have your d**k sawed off." Finally, one day, the woman showed up at Cranston's Upper West Side apartment, banging on the door.

"And I envisioned myself killing her. It was so clear. My apartment had a brick wall on one side, and I envisioned opening the door, grabbing her by the hair, dragging her inside, and shoving her head into that brick wall until brain matter was dripping down the sides of it. Then I shuddered and realized how clearly I saw that happening. And I called the police because I was so afraid. I was temporarily insane—capable of doing tremendous damage to her and to myself."
        Last edited by Art Vandelay; 07-23-2013, 10:22 AM.

Comment

In my ongoing effort to talk to myself....

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite novel. Vanity Fair has an interesting article about Harper Lee's lawsuit alleging her agent duped her into signing over all her royalties to him. The lawyerly stuff is of secondary interest. Learning more about the reclusive Lee, was what i found most interesting.

I had forgotten she was a life-long friend of Truman Capote.
          For Lee, however, celebrity became a cross to bear. She soon stopped trusting reporters, who she felt misquoted her, and she sadly watched fame turn her friend Capote—darling little Dill, that “pocket Merlin” with snow-white hair “that stuck to his head like duck-fluff” in her novel—into a drunken, drugged-out clown. “Not just no, but hell no” became her standard response to the legions of journalists who made pilgrimages to her door. By 1965 she had retreated into a stony silence.

Comment

I'm sure Donut already saw this since he's always trolling Grantland, but if not...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...20-years-later

I have more "time and place" memories to that album than just about any other. Still love it.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

This is a random story worth watching on the internet.

http://www.kvia.com/video/NMSU-stude...z/-/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                I'm sure Donut already saw this since he's always trolling Grantland, but if not...

I have more "time and place" memories to that album than just about any other. Still love it.
                I hadn't seen that. Thanks for posting. And I agree, so many memories to that song. There was a several month period of my junior year in high school where that CD didn't leave my car's CD player. The CD player was improperly wired at the time, so it shut off every time I turned the car off and restarted every time I started the car. For about 4 months, every time I started that car, 14 seconds later I would hear the distinctive guitar-picked intro to "Round Here" blasting through my crappy audiovox 6X9 speakers (I eventually pulled out the stereo and wired it properly, just so I could use the clock). To this day I can't hear that song without a flood of high school memories.

I'm glad 'Anna Begins' got some love in that article.; probably my favorite song off that album, if I were ever forced to choose.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I just burned an entire afternoon reading this thread. What an incredible experience...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...hi-to-Kinshasa

We came across a truck that was parked in the middle of the track. Luckily the surrounding area was pretty open, so we could pass it.

Us: "Bonjour, ca va?" - "Hi, how are you?"
                  - Them: "Ca va un peu bien " - "I am doing a little bit ok" -> typical Congelese answer this!

Us: "Votre vehicle est en panne?" - "Did you truck broke down?"
                  - Them: "Oui, mais ils vient avec des nouveaux pièces" - "Yes, but they are coming with spare parts"

So we chat a bit and we ask what their problem exactly was. They left Ilebo for Kananga with a load of building materials for a rich guy in Kananga. Their engine had completely seized. Their cargo was transferred onto another truck and they had taken the engine out and transported the engine to Kinshasa to get it rebuild. In the meantime the truck 'crew' stayed onsite to safeguard the truck. But they were very happy as they just received news that the necessary parts for the engine were now ordered in Germany, so the parts would come arrive in Kinshasa in a few weeks time!

A fascinating story, and they told it as if the was the most normal thing in the world. Fair enough. We said our goodbyes and asked them one more final question. How long had they been here?

"Un peu plus qu'un an maintenant" - "Just over a year"

Last edited by kccougar; 10-03-2013, 04:04 PM.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    I just burned an entire afternoon reading this thread. What an incredible experience...

That is really an incredible thread, with many awesome pictures of that couple's trip across the Congo. Must read if you have the time.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      That is really an incredible thread, with many awesome pictures of that couple's trip across the Congo. Must read if you have the time.
                      kabombo072.jpg
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

We did not have anything to do today but to keep out of trouble and wait for our mechanics. We slept until the sun transformed our tent into a sauna. Upon opening our tent we were greeted again by the looks and laughter of our crowd. The first thing we heard today was somebody shouting from a distance "Eh Mundele -Donnez-moi de l'argent!" -"Eh mundele - give me money". A very good morning to you too!

We would move our chairs regularly around the car, trying to escape the onlookers. Minutes later the crowd would then move too so they could see us again. They always kept a distance of 20meters or so, but nobody talked to us. From time to time they would shout something (usually begging). We tried to be as uniteresting as possible...

After a while I got really fed up. I took my chair and put it close to them. I sat down, facing them. I looked straight into their eyes. They looked straight back. I just sat still for half an hour, hoping they would get bored of looking at me. Or possibly even embarrased. But I lost. They did not loose interest.
                        I tried talking to them, explaining that we would really appreciate if they stopped looking at us as we would like to get some rest. I avoided the word privacy as it an unknown concept here anyway. I only got blank stares in return. From the back of the crowd I could here somebody shout "Donnez-nous de l'argent!" -"Give us money". Shortly after followed by "Ce n'est pas vorte pays!" - "This is not your country"

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post

Grantland followed up their Nirvana/CC pieces with an interesting read about PJ. Not a lot new here, but still worth 10 minutes of your time

Here in an interesting (to me, at least) hypothetical: If Eddie died at the same time as Cobain, who becomes Buddy Holly, and who is the Big Bopper? in April 1994, Pearl Jam had only released Ten and Vs. - Vitalogy was released in November of that year. I personally think dead-Vedder becomes way more iconic, and possibly beloved, than dead-Cobain. Whatever recordings of Vitalogy that existed at that time, are released and Rolling Stones declares is the album of the decade. Jeff Ament plays bass for the Foo Fighters, and who knows what happens to Matt Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post

I just saw this when the thread was bumped. What an adventure. I'm a few pages into it.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Football and Aspergers. Cool story.

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...e.ws%2FQQ46H3k

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                                Grantland followed up their Nirvana/CC pieces with an interesting read about PJ. Not a lot new here, but still worth 10 minutes of your time

Here in an interesting (to me, at least) hypothetical: If Eddie died at the same time as Cobain, who becomes Buddy Holly, and who is the Big Bopper? in April 1994, Pearl Jam had only released Ten and Vs. - Vitalogy was released in November of that year. I personally think dead-Vedder becomes way more iconic, and possibly beloved, than dead-Cobain. Whatever recordings of Vitalogy that existed at that time, are released and Rolling Stones declares is the album of the decade. Jeff Ament plays bass for the Foo Fighters, and who knows what happens to Matt Cameron
                                This is what happens when you listen to too many bill simmons podcasts.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X