Tire Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Talk

Michelin, Bridgestones? Should I get the 60k warranty Bridgestone set at Costco for about $150 less than the 90k warranty Michelins? I've bought Michelins in the past, but I wonder if they're worth the price.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Some discussion here.

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showth...ighlight=Tires

I bought some Hankooks for my wife's van about a year ago, and I was so impressed with how smooth they ride compared to whatever she had on there previously that I specifically sought out Hankook's for my car just this past week. Satisfied again.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      Michelin, Bridgestones? Should I get the 60k warranty Bridgestone set at Costco for about $150 less than the 90k warranty Michelins? I've bought Michelins in the past, but I wonder if they're worth the price.
      I have michelins on both our vehicles. Absolutely love them. Although they have not lasted as long on my wife's all wheel drive vehicle as the warranty miles indicated (which I understand is normal for all wheel drive).
      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
        I have michelins on both our vehicles. Absolutely love them. Although they have not lasted as long on my wife's all wheel drive vehicle as the warranty miles indicated (which I understand is normal for all wheel drive).
        In my experience that is normal for almost all tires. I usually only get about 80-85% of the warranty miles before the tires are bald enough that I feel the need to purchase new tires.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Some discussion here.

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showth...ighlight=Tires

I bought some Hankooks for my wife's van about a year ago, and I was so impressed with how smooth they ride compared to whatever she had on there previously that I specifically sought out Hankook's for my car just this past week. Satisfied again.
          Hankooks are a nice ride. I have a set on my car right now. Kind of gummy which means faster wear but smooth ride and nice grab on the curvy mountain roads.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            Hankooks are a nice ride. I have a set on my car right now. Kind of gummy which means faster wear but smooth ride and nice grab on the curvy mountain roads.
            Plus, Hankook is a fun to say! Hankook!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Plus, Hankook is a fun to say! Hankook!
              I don't say it. It speaks for itself.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Michelin makes a terrific tire, but not so much better than the other brands that the price differential is worth it, IMO. They are so expensive. I have a preference for Yokohoma and that's what I currently have on both my vehicles, but when it's time for new tires, I go to www.discounttire.com and look at what's available and on sale in my size. Ratings and reviews are usually pretty accurate.
                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Okay, here's the long awaited update. I have a crossover SUV and therefore, I had the choice at Costco between the Dueler H/L Alenza (SUV "luxury" tires) and the Michelin Defender (a tire that appears to be especially for minivans, crossovers, wagons and some larger sedans).

Since the Bridgestones were on sale, I went with the Bridgestones. I bought them a month ago.

And then my fuel mileage went down, and not insignificantly. I thought it was a break-in issue, but it persisted. I went from averaging around 24.5 MPG down to 22 MPG and that lasted the entire month. That's a 10% reduction in fuel efficiency. If I'm spending, say, $150 per month for gas on this car, that's $15 more on gas per month on these Bridgestones, that's $180 per year.

The Michelin Defender is Michelin's new tire and supposedly it incorporates some new technology from Michelin. It has a 90,000 mile warranty. I didn't know if I was going to keep this car to that point (it currently has around 40,000 miles), so I didn't care about that much when I initially decided on the Bridgestones. Aside from the 90k mile rating, these tires are supposed to enable more fuel efficiency. From what I've read, Michelin is generally regarded as making the most fuel efficient tire (something called "rolling resistance"). In the past, I couldn't have been happier with Michelins and I couldn't have been less happy about one aspect of those Bridgestrones. I therefore decided to take advantage of the 30 day Bridgestone guarantee (I think most tire makers offer this) and swap them out for the Michelins. Costco even gave me the Bridgestone discount, so the cost difference was literally $35 total since the tires themselves weren't much more per tire than the Bridgestones, I didn't know going in that Costco was going to do this for me.

I've noticed a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I'm now averaging 25.5 MPG (no highway driving, just city driving and I have a fuel MPG meter on my car). I'm sure some other makers have fuel efficient tires, but I can at least say that in this one circumstance the contrast is huge between these two tires on fuel efficiency.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

So my wife has only gotten about 50% of the tire mileage on her michelins and is putting new tires on today at discount tire. We put 35,000 miles on a 65,000 tire. We had the michelin latitutude touring and are moving up to the michelin LTX. If we don't get a significant improvement in mileage I will have to try another brand. We love the driving performance of the michelin tires but just cannot afford to get new tires every couple years even with the prorated discount.
                    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

So my wife has only gotten about 50% of the tire mileage on her michelins and is putting new tires on today at discount tire. We put 35,000 miles on a 65,000 tire. We had the michelin latitutude touring and are moving up to the michelin LTX. If we don't get a significant improvement in mileage I will have to try another brand. We love the driving performance of the michelin tires but just cannot afford to get new tires every couple years even with the prorated discount.
                      Just keep those LTXs rotated and you should a ton of miles on them. I sold tires for several years. I had several certifications from both Goodyear and Michelin. I have personally seen LTXs go 100,000+ with regular rotations on half ton trucks. For overall tire quality, it's next to impossible to beat Michelin. Customer satisfaction is always highest. Goodyears and bridgestones are good but they aren't Michelins by any stretch. Michelin constructs their sidewalls different giving them a better ride. Plus, their rubber compounds are second to none.

Also, some vehicles just wear tires poorly. In my experience, most ford's wear tires poorly due to very loose tolerances for alignment specifications. In general, toyotas, Honda, and most of the various European vehicles wear tires much better and hold an alignment better. Suspension and steering is much tighter and everything.

Comment

For those of you in snowy climates, you may find this interesting. How much difference, if any, is there between an AWD with "summer" tires, vs a FWD with "winter" (non-studded) tires?

Comment

Good find Art. I wouldn't have guessed there'd be such a huge difference.

I'd like to know where to get the Ford Cougar with the diesel engine. We put 300K on our Jetta TDI, and wouldn't mind another diesel sedan.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Time to revive this thread. Need tires for my wife's Odyssey, I'm trying to decide between the Michelins at Costco or getting some Continentals (called Truecontacts). I have Continental Extremecontacts on my other car, but that's a totally different category of tire.

The Continentals are less expensive, supposedly ride about as nice as the Michelins and are proabably better in bad weather -- BUT they don't supposedly wear as long as the Michelins, are T-rated as opposed to H and we don't have to deal with that much in the way of wet or snowy roads where I live.

The out the door price for Michelins is $620 vs around $495 on the Continentals. Odysseys beat on tires and I haven't heard great things on the treadlife for either tire when put on an Ody.

Someone in our ward put on some SUV tires on their Ody, I would put the Continental Cross Contacts since I don't think Michelin makes an SUV tire that comes in the right size. I'm wondering if they would wear better.

Comment

I had some Michelin Defenders on our last van. (Chrysler TC). I really like those tires. They were from Sam’s, not Costco, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re the same tire. We sold the van before I was able to see how long they lasted, but they seemed to be wearing well, and I loved how they rode. In fact, as soon as the tires on our current Odyssey wear out, I plan to put some Defenders on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X