Thanks, Provo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
    I agree to a point. The woeful level of education funding is going to hold the state back from reaching its true potential, imo.
    If quality of education was closely correlated with funding, USA K-12 public schools would lead the world in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      If quality of education was closely correlated with funding, USA K-12 public schools would lead the world in performance.
      Do you think Utah's schools would be worse if they received more funding?
      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I don't think simply giving more money is going to equate to higher or lower test scores and performance. It is about getting money to the right places which isn't a strong point of our current educational system.

Comment

No. But they wouldn't automatically be better, either. Most likely they'd stay the same. The USA leads the world in K-12 public school funding. But as the funding continues to go up, the performance continues to plummet. And some of the cities with the most astronomical levels of funding (compared to the rest of the west) have the worst performances.

Would you use the same reasoning above when discussing any other public sector? ie more funding can't hurt so why not?

Comment

What proof is there that they would be any better?

Omaha makes a great point.

We've all seen the graphs of where the U.S. ranks in terms of education, but similar graphs exist that show spending per pupil and the U.S. is near or at the top consistently in spending.

That strongly suggests that spending more is not the answer. It suggest that there is a systemic problem that needs to be addressed.

Comment

And if educational performance were closely correlated with economic might and technological innovation then we would actually be in the middle of the pack and badly trailing all of those European and Asian wunderkinds, because the educational "crisis" has been going on for what, 30 years +?

Comment

I can't find a "Thanks, Utah" thread so I will put this here. Utah ranked best state in the country for business climate:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...port-says.html

Another accolade for the Beehive State. MarketWatch at the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday named Utah the “brightest star” on the American flag. Why? Pollina Corporate Real Estate ranked Utah at the top of its list of Ten Pro-Business States for 2012.
                The study, co-published with the American Economic Development Institute, analyzed a state’s pro-business environment across 32 individual measures that state governments control, including taxation, human resources, economic incentive programs and state economic development efforts.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The Frontier flight from PVU kicks ass. Took it this AM.

Thanks Provo!
                  "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Thanks, Provo!
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                      The Frontier flight from PVU kicks ass. Took it this AM.

Thanks Provo!
                      I didn't realize they were running commercial flights now. How many years before they'll have a flight to Boise?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        I didn't realize they were running commercial flights now. How many years before they'll have a flight to Boise?
                        It's a booming operation. 2 flights a day.
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Sadly I don't get to partake of the return flight. But I am doing the no frills airline western tour.

Today:
                          Frontier from PVU to DEN
                          Spirit from DEN to LAS

Tomorrow:
                          Southwest from LAS to SLC

Comment

Threepeat, baby. Utah tops Forbes' best for business state ranking for the third year in a row.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ight-year.html
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I was just going to say that.

If you look at correlated data (not causal data), the states who spend the most on schooling produce the worst scores. Prime example: California who spends at the top and produces Mississippi-style scores.

I think Cali's spending is more related to its multicultural environment. Utah has less ethnic diversity.

I also think that increasing funding mostly diverts the marginal money to non-teaching positions like counseling, radon testers, etc. I don't think your average student benefits from increased funding when scores are already high.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Threepeat, baby. Utah tops Forbes' best for business state ranking for the third year in a row.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ight-year.html
                                All in all, this is a pretty damn good state. I hear the too stuffy complaints or backwards. A lot of those I hear it from could move to California or elsewhere, but they don't. They just don't seem to get that some of the things they complain about, LDS church influence namely, is what also what creates an overall culture they appreciate.

I prefer San Diego's weather, but that isn't a big enough plus to get me to move there.

Comment

Working...
                                X