Thanks, Provo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Provo!

Best place for a business and a career? Provo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...-for-business/

Actually UofU gets a shout out as well as Ogden.

Utah in general is to be applauded for its business policies. As much as this crowd likes to poke fun at the Utah State Legislature, Utah is among the best-managed states in the nation.

Makes you wonder when people will start to realize what the difference is between states like Utah and Texas and states like California and Illinois.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
      Utah in general is to be applauded for its business policies. As much as this crowd likes to poke fun at the Utah State Legislature, Utah is among the best-managed states in the nation.

Makes you wonder when people will start to realize what the difference is between states like Utah and Texas and states like California and Illinois.
      Yeah and what the difference is between states like Massachusetts and Mississippi, too.

Comment

Very nice...

Topping our 14th annual list of The Best Places for Business and Careers is Provo, Utah. The $16 billion economy is thriving largely on the back of Brigham Young University. The school provides a stabilizing presence as the third-largest private college by enrollment in the U.S. The school is also generating new jobs.
        My first company was in Provo. It was a good place for start up.

The "Big D" got some love as well...

Texas dominates the ranking with five cities in the top 25, led by eighth-ranked Dallas. The Dallas economy surged 6.2% last year—second best in the nation—to $254 billion. The job outlook in Dallas is strong with 2.9% annual growth expected through 2014, according to Moody’s. Dallas is home to 17 billionaires, more than any other U.S. city besides New York and San Francisco.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

As much as I gripe about Utah's quirkiness, I have to admit that it has been a great place to start and run a small business.
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
            Yeah and what the difference is between states like Massachusetts and Mississippi, too.
            Well, Massachusetts DID elect Romney, after all.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Well, Massachusetts DID elect Romney, after all.
              Touche.

Comment

That's awesome. I'm surprised SLC didn't make the top 25, particularly for the success the U of U has had in tech transfer and the massive infrastructure investments that have been made over the past decade. For such a small state Utah really does make a lot of good noise.

Comment

Booyeah. Choke on it, Provo haters.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

BYU recognized for elite cyber security program

The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security designated BYU as a National Center for Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education on Thursday.
                    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=2103...&s_cid=queue-2

Comment

I agree to a point. The woeful level of education funding is going to hold the state back from reaching its true potential, imo.
                      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Booyeah. Choke on it, Provo haters.
                        I turn to Provo for all my unnecessary supplement and magical healing juice needs.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                          BYU recognized for elite cyber security program

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=2103...&s_cid=queue-2
                          The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security designated BYU as a National Center for Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education on Thursday.
                          That should count as research. Close enough!
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Having grown up in Provo, I was dismayed to see how long it took me to identify the location of the photo. (NE corner of Uni and Center, 85% sure anyway) The older building used to be a drug store, where in 1971 I bought a Black Pepsodent Toothbrush. Does anyone else remember when Center Street was the hub of shopping for shoes and clothes? Good times.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Decided to throw this in here,

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2120...cid=featured-1

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46413845

The Beehive State has taken a giant leap toward the nation's business elite, according to a CNBC report released Tuesday.

Utah moved up six slots from eighth place last year to rank No. 2 in CNBC's annual "America's Top States for Business" study. Texas topped the list.
                              The announcement adds to Utah's list of recent accolades, including being Forbes' top state for business, the No. 1 state for economic outlook according to the American Legislative Exchange Council and the best-managed state according to The Pew Center on the States.

Comment

Working...
                              X