No announcement yet.

Thanks, Provo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provo/Orem has launched a surprising number of highly successful bands recently.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...tml.csp?page=1

I happen to know a couple of these guys.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Bert McCracken is a dumb ass. Corey Fox is a saint and deserves all the credit in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Bert McCracken is a dumb ass. Corey Fox is a saint and deserves all the credit in the world.
        Bert was my next door neighbor back in college. He lived off of Geneva road in Provo. In fact the entire band did. They decorated their mailbox with drum sticks and had some crazy parties. Nice guys but a little out there. Any remember when he was dating Kelly Osbourne and Sharon asked Kelly if she needed protection? Kelly responds by saying "Mum, he is Mahmon they don't have sex"
        *Banned*

Comment

I don't know Bert on a personal level although I've rubbed shoulders with him. I always thought he was an ass. The rest of the band was cool. His comments about the Provo scene are in no way accurate. Provo has had a good scene since I first arrived in the early nineties. Mama's Cafe, The Soul Kitchen, and Wrapsody were great. There were a lot of really good bands that paved the way for what is happening now. The best, at least in my opinion, was Sunfall Festival. There were plenty of others such as My Man Friday, Chump, Randall Blithers, Jerrytown, and Grain.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            I don't know Bert on a personal level although I've rubbed shoulders with him. I always thought he was an ass. The rest of the band was cool. His comments about the Provo scene are in no way accurate. Provo has had a good scene since I first arrived in the early nineties. Mama's Cafe, The Soul Kitchen, and Wrapsody were great. There were a lot of really good bands that paved the way for what is happening now. The best, at least in my opinion, was Sunfall Festival. There were plenty of others such as My Man Friday, Chump, Randall Blithers, Jerrytown, and Grain.
            Don't get me wrong I am not defending him, dude is a total dumbass. He is bat shit crazy and never showered. A friend of mine was in a hip hop group called The Numbs, they performed at Wrapsody all the time. I attended quite a few of his shows. He was a DJ, for a Provo rap group full of white guys they were pretty good. I still listen to a song they put out called "No Mas" on occassion.
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Provo/Orem has launched a surprising number of highly successful bands recently.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...tml.csp?page=1

I happen to know a couple of these guys.
              Provo: The Brooklyn of the West

http://www.undergroundmusicreviews.c...music-network/

What most people (sadly) don’t know is that another, similarly diverse city has been producing local independent music for nearly a decade in the most unlikeliest of places: Provo, Utah.
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
              SU

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Don't get me wrong I am not defending him, dude is a total dumbass. He is bat shit crazy and never showered. A friend of mine was in a hip hop group called The Numbs, they performed at Wrapsody all the time. I attended quite a few of his shows. He was a DJ, for a Provo rap group full of white guys they were pretty good. I still listen to a song they put out called "No Mas" on occassion.

I had a really good friend in the Numbs.

Comment

I was never much into hip hop but I liked The Numbs.

Comment

Provo is the most generous city...

http://www.businessinsider.com/these...us-2013-9?op=1

Thanks Provo!
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

(Phys.org) —A team of four physicists at Brigham Young University (calling themselves "wizz-kids") has been studying the physics properties of urine splash-back in a urinal-like environment. Their mission was to uncover the fluid dynamics involved in male peeing and to hopefully discern which approach leads to the least amount of splash-back (and less mess). They will be presenting their results at the American Physical Society Meeting later this month.
                      Here is their abstract:

Abstract
                      In response to harsh and repeated criticisms from our mothers and several failed relationships with women, we present the splash dynamics of a simulated human male urine stream impacting rigid and free surfaces. Our study aims to reduce undesired splashing that may result from lavatory usage. Experiments are performed at a pressure and flow rate that would be expected from healthy male subjects.footnote{Lapides, J., Fundamentals of Urology, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1976.} For a rigid surface, the effects of stream breakup and surface impact angle on lateral and vertical droplet ejection distances are measured using high-speed photography and image processing. For free surface impact, the effects of velocity and fluid depth on droplet ejection distances are measured. Guided by our results, techniques for splash reduction are proposed.

You may laugh, but wanna bet their presentation is SRO?

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-11-univers...ctics.html#jCp

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        Here is their abstract:

Abstract
                        In response to harsh and repeated criticisms from our mothers and several failed relationships with women, we present the splash dynamics of a simulated human male urine stream impacting rigid and free surfaces. Our study aims to reduce undesired splashing that may result from lavatory usage. Experiments are performed at a pressure and flow rate that would be expected from healthy male subjects.footnote{Lapides, J., Fundamentals of Urology, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1976.} For a rigid surface, the effects of stream breakup and surface impact angle on lateral and vertical droplet ejection distances are measured using high-speed photography and image processing. For free surface impact, the effects of velocity and fluid depth on droplet ejection distances are measured. Guided by our results, techniques for splash reduction are proposed.

You may laugh, but wanna bet their presentation is SRO?

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-11-univers...ctics.html#jCp
                        Small, circular strawberry mini-cakes will be served for refreshments afterwards.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Booting the Tepanyaki Steakhouse for another Chik-Fil-A. Thanks, Provo!
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                            Booting the Tepanyaki Steakhouse for another Chik-Fil-A. Thanks, Provo!
                            That steakhouse was awful. Very good move.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              That steakhouse was awful. Very good move.
                              I'm not familiar with this place, but I can't think that there are many good steakhouses in locations that would also be suitable for a Chik-fil-A.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                I'm not familiar with this place, but I can't think that there are many good steakhouses in locations that would also be suitable for a Chik-fil-A.
                                It was awful by Provo standards.

Comment

Working...
                                X