Thanks, Provo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
    Damnit, this thread has sent me down too many Utah Lake rabbit holes this morning while I should be working. As Uncle Ted noted, the carp are by far the biggest problem to the health of the lake. As of last year, this was the status of the almost decade old plan to remove 5 million pounds of carp a year. http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...23385f3af.html

Carp are 90% of the biomass of the lake? That is absolutely insane. Carp are an issue all over the world, hasn't anyone come up with some sort of genetically engineered carp to release and seal their impending doom?
    Yeah, Utah Lake carp are like the wild hogs of Texas... but at least Texans are making a business out of the problem down here.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
      Damnit, this thread has sent me down too many Utah Lake rabbit holes this morning while I should be working. As Uncle Ted noted, the carp are by far the biggest problem to the health of the lake. As of last year, this was the status of the almost decade old plan to remove 5 million pounds of carp a year. http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...23385f3af.html

Carp are 90% of the biomass of the lake? That is absolutely insane. Carp are an issue all over the world, hasn't anyone come up with some sort of genetically engineered carp to release and seal their impending doom?
      One of the main reason reasons they are removing carp is to protect the June Sucker.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Thats what I was asking about above. How does dredging and building causeways, etc., eliminate the problem from nitrates and phosphates?
        Like I said, the water quality is based on a variety of factors. Nutrients are just one factor. Depth impacts the turbidity which impacts how much light comes in and it impact the water temps. Changing the depths will have a huge impact.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          I am not sure who thought it was a good idea to throw in some carp (back in 1800's) but that is like 90% of the fish now in that lake. Not to mention the city of Provo was still dumping raw sewage into that lake late into the 60's. It is pretty messed up, Dude.
          Thanks for the random link. Good thing they stopped several decades ago.

Comment

• If only we had a professional fisheries biologist on the board who could weigh in here...

Comment

• My solution money be damned:

Divert the Provo River for a season and drain the lake. We can call it Operation Carp Be Gone.

No need to dredge just bulldoze the crap out of the bottom of the lake. Use some of the dirt to build the island community.

Demolish Eagle Mountain City Center. Dump rest of dirt on demolished remains and allow nature to take over. Do not allow Eagle Mountain to rebuild City Center and relocate their city offices close to The Ranches. Better yet let Saratoga Springs annex The Ranches and surrounding communities and un-incoprporate Eagle Mountain City. We can call this: Operation Relocate Goatnapper's Vacation Home to a Better City.

Divert Provo River back into Utah Lake and restock with awesome fish with names ending in trout.

Build Shaka's new home complete with a killer boathouse on the best plot in the new island community.

Provide JL with a powerful telescope so he can jealously watch Shaka and his harem wakesurf.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                Adobe isn't in Provo, it's in Lehi. Just sayin'...
                Lehis new Mayor Mark Johnson, pointed this out and contacted the author of the article.
                *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  Lehis new Mayor Mark Johnson, pointed this out and contacted the author of the article.
                  That’s funny. Did he also sign a petition against the NYT obit writer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    One of the main reason reasons they are removing carp is to protect the June Sucker.
                    June Sucker? Sounds like yet another version of a carp. How do they taste?

When I was growing up there were a ton of carp in the parts of a nearby river... We would go out on a railroad bridge over the river and shoot them in the head with a 22 rifle when they can up to suck air. We call them "suckers" too.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                      My solution money be damned:

Divert the Provo River for a season and drain the lake. We can call it Operation Carp Be Gone.

No need to dredge just bulldoze the crap out of the bottom of the lake. Use some of the dirt to build the island community.

Demolish Eagle Mountain City Center. Dump rest of dirt on demolished remains and allow nature to take over. Do not allow Eagle Mountain to rebuild City Center and relocate their city offices close to The Ranches. Better yet let Saratoga Springs annex The Ranches and surrounding communities and un-incoprporate Eagle Mountain City. We can call this: Operation Relocate Goatnapper's Vacation Home to a Better City.

Divert Provo River back into Utah Lake and restock with awesome fish with names ending in trout.

Build Shaka's new home complete with a killer boathouse on the best plot in the new island community.

Provide JL with a powerful telescope so he can jealously watch Shaka and his harem wakesurf.
                      I like it! That June Sucker doesn't end with "trout" so, yeah, kill them off too.

If they did this I would be tempted to buy a summer lake house next to yours so I can wave at JL while sipping a cool beverage on the beach.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        My solution money be damned:

That's funny. Divert the provo river, hobble creek, SF river, etc. and while we are at it, use whatever magic voodoo we are using to "divert" those rivers and divert all the groundwater that goes into the lake through the bottom and springs and seeps on the edges.

Reminds me of when we have an inversion and someone asks "Why don't they just build a big fan to blow out all the bad air?".

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          I like it! That June Sucker doesn't end with "trout" so, yeah, kill them off too.

If they did this I would be tempted to buy a summer lake house next to yours so I can wave at JL while sipping a cool beverage on the beach.
                          June sucker = utah's version of the delta smelt.

I am sympathetic and supportive of the endangered species act but we have to figure out a way to get some balance. Put a bunch of suckers in a tank, use rotenone to kill all the carp and reintroduce the june sucker. Might not save the sucker, but it seems like a much better long term solution. I would think killing off the carp would have lots of positive environmental impacts. But maybe the late is too big for treatment.

Comment

• I say they still keep the name Operation Carp-be-gone, though. I think they're currently selling carp to mink farms or something to keep the numbers down. I wonder if they can't just get rid of all the life in one fell swoop and then re-introduce the native species...
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

That's funny. Divert the provo river, hobble creek, SF river, etc. and while we are at it, use whatever magic voodoo we are using to "divert" those rivers and divert all the groundwater that goes into the lake through the bottom and springs and seeps on the edges.

Reminds me of when we have an inversion and someone asks "Why don't they just build a big fan to blow out all the bad air?".

I have an idea... how about they install some big, yuge pumps and just pump the Utah Lake water out into the desert? https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...h-and-dry.html
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

June sucker = utah's version of the delta smelt.
                                Yep... Creek is a prophet.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X