Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Good for U of California...

Yes, admissions and scholarships decisions should be made on the number participation awards the applicant has.
    You’re also an expert on university admissions? Damn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      I think that this refers to testing accommodation in the time of Covid only. But once they take the lid off of that box...
      Maybe you missed this part...

The University of California Board of Regents in May announced it was waiving the standardized test requirement for freshman applicants until 2024. The board added it would officially eliminate the requirement if a new test did not meet certain criteria by 2025.
      I get the feeling that U Cal admissions will be largely subjective for some time which may cheapen the brand for its graduates.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• As I have multiple degrees from there, I am concerned.

Comment

As I have multiple degrees from there, I am concerned.
            It will remain incredibly competitive to gain entry and graduates from the system will continue to perform at the highest level. The prestige of your degree is safe.

Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• This isn't new. They have been moving this way for a long time. Gives them more freedom to structure the admissions to match their diversity targets while avoiding lawsuits like the one Yale just lost in the supreme court.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                This isn't new. They have been moving this way for a long time. Gives them more freedom to structure the admissions to match their diversity targets while avoiding lawsuits like the one Yale just lost in the supreme court.
                Sounds like to me they are just setting themselves up for lawsuits when some whistle blower spills the beans how they unfairly favor some candidates over others.

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sounds like to me they are just setting themselves up for lawsuits when some whistle blower spills the beans how they unfairly favor some candidates over others.
                  Yeah, but when you eliminate objective measures like SAT/ACT scores, those cases are much more difficult to make.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                    It will remain incredibly competitive to gain entry and graduates from the system will continue to perform at the highest level. The prestige of your degree is safe.

unless you went to, like, csu northridge or davis, then the prestige of your degree is pretty much already shit
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Yeah, but when you eliminate objective measures like SAT/ACT scores, those cases are much more difficult to make.
                      This will make it even easier if it passes.

The measure would repeal Section 31 of Article I of the California Constitution. The following text would be repealed:[8]
                      • The State shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.

Yes, you read that right, it will take that text out. I agree with the intent to some level, providing advantages for people that otherwise would be left out, but I prefer the main statute being non-discrimination with exceptions. Seems like elimination of the text is opening the abuse opportunity too wide.
                      Last edited by swampfrog; 09-02-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

As I have multiple degrees from there, I am concerned.
                        Isn't BYU doing the same thing? Between my wife and I, we have five degrees from BYU. Very concerned!
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          Isn't BYU doing the same thing? Between my wife and I, we have five degrees from BYU. Very concerned!
                          BYU already cheapened their graduates' degrees when they renamed Ricks BYU... The value of your degrees have already taken a big hit. I know many BYU-I(-do) grads that say "BYU" when they are asked where they graduated from only to find only later they actually graduated from Brigham's potato fields of Idaho.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                            This will make it even easier if it passes.

Yes, you read that right, it will take that text out. I agree with the intent to some level, providing advantages for people that otherwise would be left out, but I prefer the main statute being non-discrimination with exceptions. Seems like elimination of the text is opening the abuse opportunity too wide.
                            Of course, you are assuming the liberal nutcases that run UC would be tempted to abuse it. So are you saying liberals are dishonest?
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Of course, you are assuming the liberal nutcases that run UC would be tempted to abuse it. So are you saying liberals are dishonest?
                              Motivated dishonesty is an innate human trait. As long as they are human they are dishonest. It is the belief of some humans of many ideologies that they are indeed above innate human failings that causes most of the problems.
                              Last edited by swampfrog; 09-02-2020, 03:51 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                Motivated dishonesty is an innate human trait. As long as they are human they are dishonest. It is the belief of some humans of many ideologies that they are indeed above innate human failings that causes most of the problems.
                                LOL... If you ask the Dems around here they will tell you that liberals, like Biden, never lie.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X