Lance Armstrong is a dope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Armstrong is a dope

Looks like they are going to go after his 7 wins at the Tour de France.. How many times are they going to try and do this??

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/...charged-doping

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
    Looks like they are going to go after his 7 wins at the Tour de France.. How many times are they going to try and do this??

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/...charged-doping
    While I think he probably doped there is no direct evidence that he did. Until they can prove it with a positive test they need to lay off the guy. This is getting old.

Comment

The USADA letter doesn't cite specific examples of his doping, but says the charges are based on evidence gathered in an investigation of Armstrong's teams, including witnesses who aren't named in the letter.
      As a result of the charges, the World Triathlon Corporation has suspended Armstrong, who recently resumed his career as a triathlete, pending resolution of the case. He is currently able to compete in non-WTC events.
      He's suspended because of an accusation that has no specific examples of his doping?
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        He's suspended because of an accusation that has no specific examples of his doping?
        The witch hunt should be over.. The fact it has impacted his current goals is sad...

Comment

Hincapie's leaked grand jury testimony (to CBS) sealed it for me. I think Lance cheated. If he did, I don't see why it shouldn't be punished in the sporting realm. I oppose criminal prosecution, and haven't ever understood the point of that with steroids and athletes.

Comment

I'm bored with this. While I think he may have, apparently no one in the world can prove it, so it is getting quite tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              Hincapie's leaked grand jury testimony (to CBS) sealed it for me. I think Lance cheated. If he did, I don't see why it shouldn't be punished in the sporting realm. I oppose criminal prosecution, and haven't ever understood the point of that with steroids and athletes.
              Agreed.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

I have given Armstrong the benefit of doubt for a long time. I tend to think he is a genetic freak, and if he did dope, it only helped 'around the edges'. I also want to give him some leeway, since he has passed hundreds of tests.

But it sounds like there is new information, not just the older stuff that's been trotted out ad nauseum. From ESPN:

"The letter also says blood collections obtained by cycling's governing body in 2009 and '10 are "fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions." Armstrong came out of retirement to race in the Tour de France those two years."
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Lance Armstrong
                  Everyone always asks me what I am "on". I'll tell you what I'm "on". I'm on my bike bustin my ass six hours a day. That's what I'm "on".
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    I have given Armstrong the benefit of doubt for a long time. I tend to think he is a genetic freak, and if he did dope, it only helped 'around the edges'. I also want to give him some leeway, since he has passed hundreds of tests.

But it sounds like there is new information, not just the older stuff that's been trotted out ad nauseum. From ESPN:

"The letter also says blood collections obtained by cycling's governing body in 2009 and '10 are "fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions." Armstrong came out of retirement to race in the Tour de France those two years."
                    I am very skeptical of that claim. Fully consistent with is usually bureaucrat speak for hematocrit levels that are at but not over the levels set as limits. It does not mean detection of an artifact of autologous doping, for example. Moreover, in 2010 WADA had started the biological passport program, I believe, to which LA submitted, and they set levels out of competition, meaning a manipulation should be pretty easily shown AT THE TIME but no one said anything then.

I am not here taking the position that he was clean, but that statement is very, very suspect in my mind.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

As a die-hard SF Giants fan who listened endlessly to the world piling on Barry Bonds, who had never failed a blood test, but was surely guilty because he had a big head, it's strange to hear now that everyone wants to give Lance Armstrong a free pass. I'm not saying it's a cancer thing or a racial thing, but if Lance Armstrong had two nuts and was black, nobody would be willing to let this slide.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        I am very skeptical of that claim. Fully consistent with is usually bureaucrat speak for hematocrit levels that are at but not over the levels set as limits. It does not mean detection of an artifact of autologous doping, for example. Moreover, in 2010 WADA had started the biological passport program, I believe, to which LA submitted, and they set levels out of competition, meaning a manipulation should be pretty easily shown AT THE TIME but no one said anything then.

I am not here taking the position that he was clean, but that statement is very, very suspect in my mind.
                        I hear you. It's an inexact science when you can't detect a substance, but only it's effects on the body. But they are busting other riders for similar hematocrit levels. Sometimes it's hard not to think there isn't a fire when smoke is around.

I would love for Armstrong to be clean, and I think that's still a possibility. But given the past history, I don't blame anyone for not believing him.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          As a die-hard SF Giants fan who listened endlessly to the world piling on Barry Bonds, who had never failed a blood test, but was surely guilty because he had a big head, it's strange to hear now that everyone wants to give Lance Armstrong a free pass. I'm not saying it's a cancer thing or a racial thing, but if Lance Armstrong had two nuts and was black, nobody would be willing to let this slide.
                          IMO, I don't think it's a racial thing; personality goes a long way. If Barry Bonds were white, I think the public reaction (outside SF) remains the same. Perhaps there's a sympathy quotient with Lance Armstrong beating cancer.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

This whole thing seems silly. Would any of the ten top runners up in any of the years Armstrong won be found clean if subject to the same intense scrutiny?
                            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                              I think they both doped.

It's pretty well documented regarding Bonds in the "Game of Shadows" book.
                              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Working...
                              X