Lance Armstrong is a dope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    i love going back and reading this thread. It is obvious that most of you are embarrassed for your arguments made in support of lance and against his accusers. The first 8 or 9 pages in particular are pretty funny. you all know who are you are. it is ok to feel shame for being so obviously wrong.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Creek was the best.

I posted a link on CB asking about Armstrog support in 2006.

He was only like 7 years behind.

lol @ creek, Shaka, RC, you.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
        Creek was the best.

I posted a link on CB asking about Armstrog support in 2006.

He was only like 7 years behind.

lol @ creek, Shaka, RC, you.
        Actually, I went back and read this thread and I can't find anything here where I was defending LA. In fact, I am proud of these two posts:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post864072

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post898707

But when the rumors first came out, I didn't want to believe it.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Hey, a Pamela Mackey sighting.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            i love going back and reading this thread. It is obvious that most of you are embarrassed for your arguments made in support of lance and against his accusers. The first 8 or 9 pages in particular are pretty funny. you all know who are you are. it is ok to feel shame for being so obviously wrong.
            Shame? I admit I was wrong. But I don't have the burden of exceeding arrogance and smugness to uphold. I am wrong all the time. It happens. Life goes on. Literally, you know?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Sheryl Crow would not have enabled this type of behavior. He should have stuck with her.

Comment

• I'm will no be ashamed. Well maybe a little.

Monday morning quarterbacks are my heroes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  I'm will no be ashamed. Well maybe a little.

Monday morning quarterbacks are my heroes.
                  Im not sure this is an example of Monday morning quarterbacking.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Armstrong loses $10M ruling:

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/...otions-company

That article doesn't say much. There must have been specific provisions about PEDs in the contract, otherwise I wonder what damages SCA could have been seeking.

Comment

• Just caught Lance Armstrong: Stop at Nothing on Showtime. What a piece of work this guy is. It's not the cheating (although I do hate that) but what he did to people to cover his tracks that is so incredible. What he did to the Lemonds and the Andreus was particularly disgusting.

Comment

• http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lanc...lar-5-million/

Armstrong settled with the U.S. Government for $5 million and Landis for $1.65 million. Looks like all it did was pay lawyer fees.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lanc...lar-5-million/

Armstrong settled with the U.S. Government for $5 million and Landis for $1.65 million. Looks like all it did was pay lawyer fees.
                          Sounds like a good deal for all.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I listened to the recent Freakonomics interview with Lance. It made me feel only slightly better about the guy, but not much. Among the interesting tidbits, he was sitting in a coffee shop when another customer called out, "Hey, Lance!", to which he replied (thinking the guy was being friendly), "How ya' doing?" The guy responded with multiple, very loud "F___ YOU!!!!"s, a kind of chant in which other customers gradually joined. He left the coffee shop and called the manager on his phone, giving the guy his credit card number and telling him he'd pay for everyone's orders that hour [One moral of the story--if you see Lance in a restaurant you now know how to get him to pick up your tab], with the note, "Tell them I understand." He comes off as somewhat penitent, and says he's spoken with everyone he sued or was critical of, including paying attorney's fees, etc., and yet I didn't feel much sympathy for him.

Lance was guilty of at least three things: (i) doping, (ii) lying about it, (iii) viciously attacking those who questioned his denials of (i) and (ii). It seems like everyone kind of accepts that cyclists are guilty of (i) and (ii), but it's (iii) that may be the unforgiveable sin.

He acknowledged that without doping, he would have had zero chance of winning the tour, which is apparently also true for anyone else. He mentioned that he'd like to see pro cyclists receive a percentage of TDF revenues (they currently receive zero) and he believes that such a system would somehow make riders more self-policing.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              I listened to the recent Freakonomics interview with Lance. It made me feel only slightly better about the guy, but not much. Among the interesting tidbits, he was sitting in a coffee shop when another customer called out, "Hey, Lance!", to which he replied (thinking the guy was being friendly), "How ya' doing?" The guy responded with multiple, very loud "F___ YOU!!!!"s, a kind of chant in which other customers gradually joined. He left the coffee shop and called the manager on his phone, giving the guy his credit card number and telling him he'd pay for everyone's orders that hour [One moral of the story--if you see Lance in a restaurant you now know how to get him to pick up your tab], with the note, "Tell them I understand." He comes off as somewhat penitent, and says he's spoken with everyone he sued or was critical of, including paying attorney's fees, etc., and yet I didn't feel much sympathy for him.

Lance was guilty of at least three things: (i) doping, (ii) lying about it, (iii) viciously attacking those who questioned his denials of (i) and (ii). It seems like everyone kind of accepts that cyclists are guilty of (i) and (ii), but it's (iii) that may be the unforgiveable sin.

He acknowledged that without doping, he would have had zero chance of winning the tour, which is apparently also true for anyone else. He mentioned that he'd like to see pro cyclists receive a percentage of TDF revenues (they currently receive zero) and he believes that such a system would somehow make riders more self-policing.
                              I will bow my head and sheepishly admit that I listen to Lance almost everyday on his podcast. He is hardly penitent. He remains a jerk. He disparages the UCI and WADA and others, although usually only by indirect means. But he knows the sport and is pretty entertaining. He also has Hincapie on the show (and sometimes Bruyneel) and Hincapie is the guy we all wish lance would be. Quietly self-effacing, smart, strategic thinker, not brash, etc. I think the Freakonomics appearance was Lance trying to rebuild his image. The one thing I will give him is that he admits his sins and doesn't try to hide them. But I really don't think he feels the least bit of remorse.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                I will bow my head and sheepishly admit that I listen to Lance almost everyday on his podcast. He is hardly penitent. He remains a jerk. He disparages the UCI and WADA and others, although usually only by indirect means. But he knows the sport and is pretty entertaining. He also has Hincapie on the show (and sometimes Bruyneel) and Hincapie is the guy we all wish lance would be. Quietly self-effacing, smart, strategic thinker, not brash, etc. I think the Freakonomics appearance was Lance trying to rebuild his image. The one thing I will give him is that he admits his sins and doesn't try to hide them. But I really don't think he feels the least bit of remorse.
                                I had the same sense, and was a little surprised he didn't even try to fake it. He essentially said he has no regrets, while acknowledging his many transgressions. I can see why you find him interesting, though. He's articulate and obviously knows his stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X