Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    If DH ever wanted to become an insider, he knows that he just needs to put a call into a certain former attorney friend here in town and accept the donated bicycle.

One call, that's all, DH.
    What? ! There's an attorney bike donation fund I didn't know about?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• So I do an out and back course and on the way back there is a guy riding his bike in the middle of the road with no shirt, headphones on singing loudly with no hands on the bars. I just figured "whatever another strange guy in our beach town" and as I pass at 16 mph he starts screaming and biking at me. Not wanting anything thing to do with Crazy Bike Guy I picked up and got to 18 mph yet CBG is still yelling unintelligible things and not far from my rear. For some strange reason I thought of the comment in here about me only being able to ride around Utah Lake and now a lunatic is trying to dishonor me so I kicked it again this time getting to 22 mph for a time and lost him. Strange ride but a great workout.
      Last edited by OceanBlue; 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
        So I do an out and back course and on the way back there is a guy riding his bike in the middle of the road with no shirt, headphones on singing loudly with no hands on the bars. I just figured "whatever another strange guy in our beach town" and as I pass at 16 mph he starts screaming and biking at me. Not wanting anything thing to do with Crazy Bike Guy I picked up and got to 18 mph yet CBG is still yelling unintelligible things and not far from my rear. For some strange reason I thought of the comment in here about me only being able to ride around Utah Lake and now a lunatic is trying to dishonor me so I kicked it again this time getting to 22 mph for a time and lost him. Strange ride but a great workout.
        Ha!

On my century ride last year, at about mile 70 or so I was feeling exhausted but still clicking along aroun 16-17mph. Out of nowhere a dog came chasing and it was pretty amazing at the strength my legs found to pick up my speed. Stupid unleashed dogs!
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Ha!

On my century ride last year, at about mile 70 or so I was feeling exhausted but still clicking along aroun 16-17mph. Out of nowhere a dog came chasing and it was pretty amazing at the strength my legs found to pick up my speed. Stupid unleashed dogs!
          I know that with this post, I am dooming myself to a major canine run-in, but over many thousands of miles of rides, I have yet to be chased by a dog. Wish I could say that for my runs.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            I know that with this post, I am dooming myself to a major canine run-in, but over many thousands of miles of rides, I have yet to be chased by a dog. Wish I could say that for my runs.
            I was riding on the shoulder of the road approaching a couple walking on the sidewalk with a small dog on one of those long retractable leashes. Just before reaching the couple, the dog ran out from the sidewalk into my travel path. I locked up the brakes, but couldn't get my foot out of the clip in time and went down. Fortunately, only some superficial road rash and slight bending of the handle bars. I quickly got up to assess my road rash and straighten my handle bars while the woman is apologizing for her dog and the man is explaining they didn't hear me approaching. I wanted to say something mean, but didn't. It really wasn't their fault. Instead, I said I was okay and took off. As a result of my experience, I'm much more cautious when passing people walking dogs. If I can swing wide I do; if I can't I slow down in anticipation of the dog potentially bolting into my travel path.

Comment

I just had my first run-in since delivering newspapers as a kid. I was just starting my descent down Emigration Canyon a week ago and what I thought was a bobcat jumped out of the brush and started chasing me. Fortunately I was headed down and ditched it pretty quickly. My friend had a similar run-in the following day. He swears it was a coyote, though. I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't domestic.
              When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Brutus, That would freak me out. I'll take crazy bike guy over a bobcat or a coyote any day.

Comment

PAC you need to come to Idaho for a ride. Dogs are a content threat on these country roads. Very few dogs can hit 20 mph so you just learn where they are and speed through those areas. Also when it's cold or hot they don't like to run but get those 65 to 75 degree days and they are off and running. We have a one mile stretch of road we call Dog Alley and it's always an adventure. I've found that if you get aggressive with them and yell at them they stay in their place but that doesn't always work either. I've never been bit or hit a dog but I've had countless encounters with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    PAC you need to come to Idaho for a ride. Dogs are a content threat on these country roads. Very few dogs can hit 20 mph so you just learn where they are and speed through those areas. Also when it's cold or hot they don't like to run but get those 65 to 75 degree days and they are off and running. We have a one mile stretch of road we call Dog Alley and it's always an adventure. I've found that if you get aggressive with them and yell at them they stay in their place but that doesn't always work either. I've never been bit or hit a dog but I've had countless encounters with them.
                    When I was a kid I learned a paperboy trick for repeat offenders: A syringe or baster filled with Clorox (diluted, hopefully) Hit them with that in the eyes and they stopped ASAP and usually seemed to remember me. When I was in my twenties or so I used to occasionally ride around the perimeter of SLC valley. There was this nasty dog at an old farm house outside of Bluffdale that used to come out and scare the bejesus out of me. I hit him with the syringe once and never saw him again.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      I hit him with the syringe once and never saw him again.
                      With Clorox to the eyes, he probably never saw you again either.
                      When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
                        Brutus, That would freak me out. I'll take crazy bike guy over a bobcat or a coyote any day.
                        It startled me pretty good. My heart was pumping a little harder for the descent.

I was just reminded of what happened to my friend's brother during the Tour of Park City last year. He was on a descent going I don't know how fast when a rabbit jumped out from the brush and got caught in his wheel. I'm not sure what happened to the rabbit, but my friend's brother got torn up pretty good. I think I'm more scared of hitting a dog and crashing than having it bite me. Although, getting bit by a coyote/bobcat/crazy bike guy might be worse than crashing.

Comment

• Tough ride today with wind coming off Kitty Hawk bay between 18-20 mph. At times the wind whistled through my spokes.Thunderstorms on the way but I hope I can ride tomorrow. Lost five lbs this week and would love to drop more.
                          I feel better then I have felt in quite some time.

Comment

• I just spent a week in your neck of the woods (Rodanthe). Loved it.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Were you part of the YSA crew ?
                              Excellent surfing at the Rodanthe pier.
                              Last edited by OceanBlue; 06-05-2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                I just spent a week in your neck of the woods (Rodanthe). Loved it.
                                Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
                                Were you part of the YSA crew ?
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X