Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    We're probably going to drive through southern Utah in June and we'll have our bikes with us. We've never visited Arches National Park and may do so this time. I know Moab is a great area for off-road cycling, but how is the area for roadies? We might be interested in good moderate distance ride (30-70 miles, say). Any recommendations (including "skip it")?
    A few years bike I rode from SLC to St. George with my brothers in law. My wife waited until we were on the last day and then we got out the tandem and she joined me for a ride up to and through Zion (Zeye-awn for you uninitiated). It was a great ride. I very much enjoyed it and would recommend it. We were going from North to South and had to shuttle through the tunnel (as do all bike riders) but riding around the valley and so forth was a lot of fun.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Arches would be a great ride and plenty of cyclists do it. There is plenty of stuff to see from the ride and plenty of quick side hikes (< 1 mile) to stretch your legs out on and catch some great sights, if you took along a lock. In fact, a buddy of mine was just telling me one of his favorite all time rides is to ride up the trailhead to fiery furnace early in the morning, hike through, then ride out in the evening. That might be more hiking than your looking for, but a pretty spectacular day.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        We're probably going to drive through southern Utah in June and we'll have our bikes with us. We've never visited Arches National Park and may do so this time. I know Moab is a great area for off-road cycling, but how is the area for roadies? We might be interested in good moderate distance ride (30-70 miles, say). Any recommendations (including "skip it")?
        Biking around Arches in June sounds awful. Hot and crazy crowded. Besides, Moab isn't exactly Southern Utah. I'd stay south and ride Highway 12 east of Escalante Grand Staircase. Gorgeous, out of the way area and the high elevations will keep it cool.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Sorry for being Debbie Downer in that last post. I initially read your post as "we're going to be in Southern Utah and are looking for a good area to ride." If you're looking for places near Moab, the ride out to Dead Horse Point is a nice ~70 mile out and back that is very scenic, at a cost of about 2000 feet in elevation gain.
          Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
            Sorry for being Debbie Downer in that last post. I initially read your post as "we're going to be in Southern Utah and are looking for a good area to ride." If you're looking for places near Moab, the ride out to Dead Horse Point is a nice ~70 mile out and back that is very scenic, at a cost of about 2000 feet in elevation gain.
            No prob at all. And thanks to all for the tips. We'll be fine tuning our travel plans in the weeks ahead and this will help.

Comment

Biking around Arches in June sounds awful. Hot and crazy crowded. Besides, Moab isn't exactly Southern Utah. I'd stay south and ride Highway 12 east of Escalante Grand Staircase. Gorgeous, out of the way area and the high elevations will keep it cool.
              Well, he asked for Moab. If you're not mountain biking, the road ride through arches would be nice.
              Totally agree on highway 12 though. maybe the most scenic drive I've ever driven. A side trip to hells backbone would be unforgettable. (I think it's right there, no?)
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Well, he asked for Moab. If you're not mountain biking, the road ride through arches would be nice.
                Totally agree on highway 12 though. maybe the most scenic drive I've ever driven. A side trip to hells backbone would be unforgettable. (I think it's right there, no?)
                Hells Backbone would be tough on a road bike.

Hells Backbone Road is gravel, graded occasionally, and suitable for family cars during dry weather.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  Hells Backbone would be tough on a road bike.
                  Ha...couldn't remember. It's been a while. Well, then he should go ride 12 and then make a side trip up there.
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Is there anything worse than not turning your head far enough when you blow a snot rocket and it ends up on your shoulder?
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Is there anything worse than not turning your head far enough when you blow a snot rocket and it ends up on your shoulder?
                      Yes, getting hit by a snot rocket from the person in front of you
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        You're right. That's worse.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          You're right. That's worse.
                          There's always the urine spray when someone doesn't have the decency to go to the back to relieve themselves. Slightly worse.

Comment

There's always the urine spray when someone doesn't have the decency to go to the back to relieve themselves. Slightly worse.
                            OK, again, that's worse. I am starting to think I should have phrased my post differently.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Ha, I never thought of that. Do people really urinate while riding a bike? Is that even possible with bib shorts?
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Ha, I never thought of that. Do people really urinate while riding a bike? Is that even possible with bib shorts?
                                You're assuming that someone who is okay with peeing while riding will go to the trouble of pulling down their pants to do it?
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X