Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    RC, I live on the Outer Banks of NC. My actual town name is Kill Devil Hills.
    Well, that's your problem with the wind right there. I'm sure you know that Kill Devil Hills is where the Wright Brothers conducted their flight experiments because of the consistent winds. You've forever lost your right to complain about the wind.

Comment

• Ha ! I guess I'll have to remember that Mtn. The bike trail starts at the little airport at the foot of the Wright Bros. Memorial Park. That's the start and finish for my ride everyday though I've never really thought about that in terms of bike riding but you are correct.

RC, Raleigh is about four hours away but totally different then the Outer Banks. We have an office in Cary and I like that area.

We are getting blasted by a thunderstorm as we speak.
      Last edited by OceanBlue; 07-10-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Ha ! I guess I'll have to remember that Mtn. The bike trail starts at the little airport at the foot of the Wright Bros. Memorial Park. That's the start and finish for my ride everyday though I've never really thought about that in terms of bike riding but you are correct.

RC, Raleigh is about four hours away but totally different then the Outer Banks. We have an office in Cary and I like that area.

We are getting blasted by a thunderstorm as we speak.
        And keep in mind that the Wright Brothers started out as bike shop repair owners, even manufacturing bikes under their own brand, but then (and I may have my chronology slightly off here) moved to the Kill Devil Hills area where, vexed by the stiff breezes, said, "Screw this!," and started building an aircraft as a better alternative for fighting the wind.

Comment

• A little revisionist history there, PAC? The Wright's bike shop was in Dayton, Ohio (YOhio will probably chime in here). They worked there in the summers and only went to NC in the winters for their aero experiments, when the cycling business was slow. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the National Museum of the Air Force are near Dayton for a reason.

Comment

• Added a few more miles today, 26.74 included a decent hill but the reward was once over the hill you see the ocean and a beautiful cool breeze greeted you. Very little wind and I rode much faster.

Comment

Added a few more miles today, 26.74 included a decent hill but the reward was once over the hill you see the ocean and a beautiful cool breeze greeted you. Very little wind and I rode much faster.
              How long does your daily 20 miler take you OB? Or maybe we should call you OBX.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• My Saturday morning ride takes about 70 minutes. We lose a few minutes waiting for the light so we can cross the bypass out and back. I'd say my daily is closer to 75 depending on wind and heat. Today for example the wind and heat were down and I felt strong the whole ride. Earlier this week I was muttering and pedaling and felt pretty slow with the wind.

Edit-Saturday is when I ride with my buddy who has been biking longer and we go faster.
                The rest of the week I'm alone.
                Last edited by OceanBlue; 07-11-2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• So today I tracked how long it took for the twenty miler. 68 minutes. We were held up at the light for about two-three minutes.

Comment

• This is the greatest thing known to man: http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Twenty miler. 87 degrees winds out of the south gusting at 20 mph. It was an easy fun ride out and a bear riding back.

Comment

• You're supposed to ride against the wind (where possible) going out so you can have it at your back coming back.

Comment

• Not possible from where I live. The airport at First Flight airport is the start and finish of my daily ride.

Comment

Not possible from where I live. The airport at First Flight airport is the start and finish of my daily ride.
                            No other starting points or destinations available?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1171&sid=30661279

Did anyone else sign up for this ride a couple of months ago and get shafted? I took off the entire day from work the day before the ride so my wife could drive down to SLC to meet her father (who drove from freakin' Anacortes, WA) so they could ride together. They actually went to the fairgrounds that morning at 7am or whenever they were supposed to and were surprised to find practically no one else there.

Smith guaranteed everyone would get their money back within six months.
                              Something tells me I won't see a refund. Even if they do, it would be a pretty insignificant redress compared to the loss of time by my wife, my FIL, and me.
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• 20 miler with lots of wind that is much easier to take when it's nice and cloudy. I should be living in Oregon given the weather I prefer.

Comment

Working...
                                X