No announcement yet.

Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a unrelated topic, I watched the Little 500 over the weekend (previously recorded from a week or so ago). Probably the most entertaining thing I've seen in a while. 30 or so crazy college kids riding similar bikes over a cinder track. There was at least one crash every 10 laps and the exchanges were hilarious. Lots of fun to watch. Even MJ enjoyed it, which is unusual as she hates watching cycling races.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Ha, I never thought of that. Do people really urinate while riding a bike? Is that even possible with bib shorts?
      See falafel ' s response. It's a common tactic in long distance triathlons. Full disclosure: I never have been able to do it.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Ha, I never thought of that. Do people really urinate while riding a bike? Is that even possible with bib shorts?
        I'd direct you to some youtube videos, but...I won't. You're welcome.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

A coworker of mine is a female semi-pro. She was racing the Dana Point Grand Prix this weekend and just before the start was asked to put a GoPro on her handle bars. Turns out they got a pretty unique perspective of a crash in the final straight away. It was posted on her Facebook page, but it's public, so it should be viewable to everyone. And yes, that's blood at the 1:15 mark.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

EDIT. For the sensitive, there is some language towards the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
            A coworker of mine is a female semi-pro. She was racing the Dana Point Grand Prix this weekend and just before the start was asked to put a GoPro on her handle bars. Turns out they got a pretty unique perspective of a crash in the final straight away. It was posted on her Facebook page, but it's public, so it should be viewable to everyone. And yes, that's blood at the 1:15 mark.

Hope she is ok. That was very interesting to watch. Did someone clip the rear wheel of the bike that contacted her? (sorry if this is answered in the audio track but I have a strict no-sound policy on these things during work hours; I have been burned too many times by Y-Ohio's 'SFW' posts).
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              Hope she is ok. That was very interesting to watch. Did someone clip the rear wheel of the bike that contacted her? (sorry if this is answered in the audio track but I have a strict no-sound policy on these things during work hours; I have been burned too many times by Y-Ohio's 'SFW' posts).
              No clear idea what caused the contact. My first guess was that the girl next to her accidentally pulled up on her handlebars in her sprint causing her front wheel to lose contact with the road. But it's hard to imagine such a sloppy sprint at that level. Probably had contact with someone we never see.

She seems to have come away from it not too messed up. Here's a picture from earlier in the race where you can see the Go Pro:
              image.jpg

And one from the hospital where she required a handful of stitches:
              image.jpg

At the :45 mark you see a bike shoot across the screen that looks like it's 10 feet in the air.

Comment

That mash-up made the local evening news the day it happened. On a side note, the e-Gel that plays a prominent role in the first part of the video is a decent product. I like the Tropical Blast flavor.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                  That mash-up made the local evening news the day it happened. On a side note, the e-Gel that plays a prominent role in the first part of the video is a decent product. I like the Tropical Blast flavor.
                  Apparently good enough to remember to grab after hitting the turf at 35 mph.

Comment

Apparently good enough to remember to grab after hitting the turf at 35 mph.
                    Ha. That's what I was thinking as well. Either that, or good enough to plunder from a fallen fellow rider.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

A gym has opened near us that features an unusual spinning room. Once a class starts, they can reduce oxygen levels to simulate altitudes between 5,000 and 22,000 feet (this might be helpful for creekster if he decides to ride the next time he visits Kilimanjaro). It's an interesting concept but a bit gimmicky for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          A gym has opened near us that features an unusual spinning room. Once a class starts, they can reduce oxygen levels to simulate altitudes between 5,000 and 22,000 feet (this might be helpful for creekster if he decides to ride the next time he visits Kilimanjaro). It's an interesting concept but a bit gimmicky for me.
                          My neighborhood is too poor for one of these. Sounds like an interesting idea, though.
                          When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Less than 48 hours of winning the US National TT, Taylor Phinney wins a compound leg fracture in the road race.

On another note, I had no idea that Max Testa of Salt Lake's TOSH Center is the chief medical officer for BMC. Respect!

Comment

Less than 48 hours of winning the US National TT, Taylor Phinney wins a compound leg fracture in the road race.

On another note, I had no idea that Max Testa of Salt Lake's TOSH Center is the chief medical officer for BMC. Respect!
                              Phinney is a tremendous talent but he sure seems snake bit.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/?u...paign=national

A World Naked Bike Ride is planned for June 7 and 14th. NSFW (little tiny pictures). Looks like a good way to ruin a saddle and hurt some tender areas.

Comment

Working...
                                X